cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

SoLoved77
Explorer
Explorer
RollingRockTX wrote:

Our sat set up.

How does that sat. setup work? Do you just put it flat on the ground or do you attach it to the trailer?? We just got sat. to go camping with. Swore we'd never have it since the DH works for the cable company and gets a deep discount. We wanted to take the dish off the side of the house and take it with us since we will NEVER use it at home. Is this feasible?
Kim the DW - 39
Greg the Cableman & DH - 42
Danielle & Gabrielle the DD's - 10 & 7
Noah & Andrew the DS's 8 & 6
'07 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L
1999 24' Skamper SK 249

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I picked up my Jayco branded counter top extension (flip up TV shelf) today.

I thought for sure when I called my dealer for a price on this they were going to bend me over. Believe it or not I got the 15 3/4" X 15 3/4" piece of counter and both hinges for around $40. It's a small price to pay for an extra piece of real estate and not having to build something myself.

Pictures will follow once I get it installed.
Bryan :B and my Parsons Russell Terrier, Melvin :E

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4D 4WD 5.7L 3.73" Rear End
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Weight Distribution Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
2008 Jayco Jay Flight G2 20BH and Mods:C

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
While I appreciate your ingenuity (see my sewer hose storage), these screens have a nice frame on the edges as to not catch on or snag anything and they are fit perfectly for the opening.

cheezy26_81
Explorer
Explorer
i made the same thing using metal screen from home depot and a hot glue gun. metal screen $7.00 hot glue gun the DW had for crafts.

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
RVWholesalers is where I found them, it took some digging though because they don't have them listed with the rest of the Mud Dauber screens. The company makes two different models, the R300 (Norcold) and the R600 (Dometic).

The only ones I found at RVWholesalers was the R300 for the Norcold ones. RVWholesalers says they are for all fridge vent covers but if you go directly to the Mud Dauber website and click on screens and then R300 it shows that it's for the Norcold specifically and the R600 shows for the Dometic, so be careful.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Loopy

Those are some nice mods.

Where did you get these fridge screens? Are they store brand or did you make them? I have the HW heater and the furnace, but never saw the fridge vent sold in stores, yet.

PS. I like the sewer hose holder. Neat

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
My pleasure and thank you!

I'm always looking for new ideas though so everyone keep em coming!

Campin_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again Loopy! You've got a great set up.

Loopy wrote:
The wall that I have the TV mounted to has a support in it from the factory since that's where the original TV was mounted. The upper half of the wall is one big solid piece of wood. If you don't have this in your trailer you can still find two studs and at worst mount a board on the exterior of the wall from one stud to the other and mount it to that. The TV mount I used actually had all teh screws in one vertical row so even if I hadn't had the support in the wall I could have mounted it directly to one stud.

As far as the clock shelf goes, there weren't any studs in that corner that I could attach to so I just used the plastic wall anchors since I knew we wouldn't be putting enormous amounts of weight on it.

I used 1" screws with the plastic wall anchors.
Deb & Cathy
Shilo Ann - 10 yr old Xolo
Milford, CT
2006 Puma 29FKSS

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
I got my idea from C.B.'s post and added a few ideas of my own.

He used wood for the end stops. I didn't want something that was prone to rotting so I used a short piece of 1/2" PVC and two caps. I just made the pipe short enough that the screws on the outside clear the ends of the fence post cover going in and out. I also wanted mine to be hinged so I purchased two small hinges to attach to the top of the end cap. I put a 1" spacer between the fence post cover and the frame on the sealed end so that the excess water would run to that end then drilled 3 holes at teh bottom of the cap for it to drain out.

To attach it I purchased a piece of all thread and two mending plates, all available at your local Lowe's. I used 8 small washers and 8 lock nuts to hold it there.

Inventory list to build sewer hose storage:

1 - 4x4x100" Post Jacket cut to length
2 - End caps (located with the fence jacket)
1 - Raingo 10' white "U" shaped gutter cut to length
1 - 1/2" diameter piece of PVC
4 - 1/2" PVC end caps
2 - Brass hinges, something like this should work
1 - bag of Mini bungee cords
1 - 3' piece of 1/4" all thread (cut to length)
2 - 6" mending plates
8 - 1/4" washers
8 - Nylon thread lock nuts

For the 1" spacer at the low end I used a piece of a 1"x2" PVC baluster between the frame and the storage compartment.

dkhender
Explorer
Explorer
Loopy,

Really like Sewer hose set-up. Did you make that? Or something you purchased and modified? Would appreciate hearing some details ... I'm in need of something like that.

Thanks!
2007 Four Winds/Thor Hurricane 34B w/ 2006 Chevy HHR TOAD
2002 Ford Explorer --> 2004 Ford Expedition & 2008 Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze 23 TRS
1994 Ford Explorer & Coleman PU

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
The wall that I have the TV mounted to has a support in it from the factory since that's where the original TV was mounted. The upper half of the wall is one big solid piece of wood. If you don't have this in your trailer you can still find two studs and at worst mount a board on the exterior of the wall from one stud to the other and mount it to that. The TV mount I used actually had all teh screws in one vertical row so even if I hadn't had the support in the wall I could have mounted it directly to one stud.

As far as the clock shelf goes, there weren't any studs in that corner that I could attach to so I just used the plastic wall anchors since I knew we wouldn't be putting enormous amounts of weight on it.

I used 1" screws with the plastic wall anchors.

Campin_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Loopy,

Fantastic job on the mods. Thank you for sharing. I especially appreciate seeing how the mud dauber screens look, I just ordered them a couple of days ago. One question about the corner shelf and television bracket...how do you fasten to the walls? I'm nervous about drilling into the walls but do have a electronic stud finder, should I use metal screws? if so, how long?

Thanks again.
Deb & Cathy
Shilo Ann - 10 yr old Xolo
Milford, CT
2006 Puma 29FKSS

Loopy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we picked up our new 20BH not too long ago and I was itching to do some mods so without further delay....

Here's just a general pic of the outside

And another from the other side

Hot water heater screen cover

Furnace screen cover

Fridge vent covers

Sewer hose storage all closed up

Opened up

The TT had the small switches for the lighting and I really like the bigger ones so just inside the front door and the bath got these treatments.

I'm not a huge fan of the plastic camper lights on the ceiling so those got replaced and so did the ugly decorative fixture over the dinette. I used regular 110 volt house fixtures with 12 volt A15 bulbs.

The two round lights are switched by the door but i had to reuse the 12v switch from teh ugly fixture for the spot lights.

We have a dog so a bag holder near the door is a must

Every camper needs a soap dispenser and a paper towel holder. I also reused one of the double plastic ceiling lights over the sink rather than the small single one that was there.

The bed area didn't have any shelving that was open to put a clock on so..

The original theater system (seen on bottom shelf) with DVD player built in just wasn't cutting it quality wise so I added a Sony home theater receiver and kept the original one for the DVD player alone.

The 20" TV that came with the camper was nice but it wasn't HD so we replaced it with a 26" HDTV and a swivel arm mount.

Can't live without the Oxygenics shower head

Added a positive flow shut off to it

And of course, no one likes a clingy shower curtain or water getting everywhere so we added clip holders and corner water stops.

There's a few more things (digital thermostat replacement, counter top extension) I want to do before our maiden voyage in it but these are a good start. If anyone has any questions on what I posted feel free to ask away!

RollingRockTX
Explorer
Explorer
Welfarewagon wrote:
I thought about swapping out all my marker lights but at 7 bucks each, it's not worth it to me. I have 7 amber lights and 7 red lights, that adds up quickly and those don't run off the batts so there is no real benifit to using them other than the "cool" factor.

Yea just like the $$ I spent for my Hella LED tails on the F-150, unnecessary but way cool. Thanks for the help, I am leaving out this weekend for spring break with the family but will look into your suggested site once I get back home next week.

we did our spring break last week, jealous of you, I could use another week. Make sure you get photos and post em up.

Cheers, drive safe have fun.
2017 F150 Lariat 3.5EB
2016 Acura MDX SWD
2013 Yamaha Golf Cart
10 year old Quarter Horse, "Shadow"
2019 Jayco White Hawk 28BH

Welfarewagon
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about swapping out all my marker lights but at 7 bucks each, it's not worth it to me. I have 7 amber lights and 7 red lights, that adds up quickly and those don't run off the batts so there is no real benifit to using them other than the "cool" factor.

Yea just like the $$ I spent for my Hella LED tails on the F-150, unnecessary but way cool. Thanks for the help, I am leaving out this weekend for spring break with the family but will look into your suggested site once I get back home next week.
2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor