cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
MikeIa wrote:
Central Vacuum System

Fabulous idea, great mod and very nice installation.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
kraushad wrote:
I found some unused space above our pantry. I added some supports, a shelf, and then hinged the countertop for easy access.

My current trailer came with a storage unit much like yours and what they did was opened up both sides above that shelf you put in and then put the oak type spindle railing across the openings so you had storage access w/o messing with the countertop. Below is a pic of my unit

I also have an outlet but it is inside and you could convert your unit to something like I have by simply moving that outlet to the wall inside using a surface mount outlet. This would give you that space w/o having to take everything off the counter and raise it to access that area. Of course if you had to cut your countertop to clear that board you installed on the wall redoing what you have done might not work.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Rob8484
Explorer
Explorer
toprudder wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Water Heater lockout device:

Good idea.

My water heater also has a switch inside the heater. I always turn that switch off when I winterize. No chance of someone turning on the water heater by playing with the switch inside the camper.

Just did this mod today!
Rob 33(me) Kristi 31(wife) Kenedi 5 (daughter) and our 2 dogs (Molly & Wayne) (RIP Molly)
2008 F250 Super Duty
2008 Forest River Cardinal 33LE
G14 Yamaha golf cart

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

Good idea.

My water heater also has a switch inside the heater. I always turn that switch off when I winterize. No chance of someone turning on the water heater by playing with the switch inside the camper.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dust pan ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
We usually just oped the door and sweep the crud outside!

Now that's thinking outside the box! (pun intended)

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
We usually just oped the door and sweep the crud outside! ๐Ÿ˜‰
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
That vacuum is nice. The way it is modded up, you can still remove the vacuum to use it elsewhere as a normal vacuum. Nice job.
I love me some land yachting

HarleyEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Great Mod! You could sell that. Great thing is you can pull the PVC off and roll the rope up around one wooden pool and the PVC and you have 1 2" pole to store. Could even hang a piece of schedule 40 under the trailer with screw on caps and slip the whole assembly in for storage.
2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW
2019 Raptor 421CK Full Body Paint

MikeIa
Explorer
Explorer
Central Vacuum System

Since our new (to us) Holiday Rambler has vinyl floors, I decided I wanted a vac-pan to try and make it easier to keep the floor clean.

When I used to work at an arena, one of the TV trucks that came in for basketball games had a Shop-Vac in the belly, plumbed to regular central vacuum inlets throughout the equipment rooms above. This made it easy for the TV truck personnel to vacuum the carpets at the end of the night.

I picked up a small Shop-Vac at Wally World for about $30:

and a central vacuum inlet from Ebay for about $45:

This auction included a PVC elbow and some adapter pipes.
(and a short section of flexible hose that I didn't need for this project)

I also had to pick up a PVC 1 1/4" x 2" bushing from the plumbing department at Lowe's to adapt the shop-vac hose to the elbow that came with the inlet.

Here is the dinette in my TT:

and the corner behind the dinette where I want the inlet to be located:

This was my first chance to try out my Variable Speed Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool:

I was able to make a very clean plunge cut....very happy with my new toy!
Views of the cut from inside the dinette:

and with the inlet in place:

The Shop-Vac I chose has a wall-mount bracket....I attached it to the dinette with a scrap piece of wood to act as a spacer:

Picture of the shop-vac in place, plugged into the relay box:

The relay box is a silicon relay inside a deep 4-square box with a single receptacle on top for the vacuum. I tapped AC from the existing outlet in the dinette, and brought 12 volt control power from the fuse box. A 12 volt mechanical relay would work just as well...I had the silicon relay on hand. Remember to leave the vacuum's switch ON! The vacuum inlet has a simple, low-voltage switch that closes when you move the lever that opens the valve....extreme left in this picture of the final install:

I may yet build a simple shelf to guard the switch on the top of the inlet.

It works really well....you just sweep the pile up to the front of the inlet, move the lever with your toe,and the vacuum comes on. Sweep the pile into the opening. Poof! Gone.

The shop vac takes up less space than a portable vacuum would, and we have to carry a broom anyway. If you wanted to, I suppose an inlet for a wand could be added for vacuuming carpet or rugs, but then you would have to store the wand somewhere, and to get a beater bar wand for a central vacuum system is $$$$.

Cherokee1990
Explorer
Explorer
Alot of great, inexpensive, useful mods. I'll be adding a few this season.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TURK2500 wrote:

I realize the mod is a simple fix for those accidental moments, but whats more interesting is that the RV manufacture didn't even provide any on/off designation at the switch (or was the switch an add-on?).

Bob

Factory switch

I did have a factory label indicating on/off and I took the label off yesterday, along with another hideous label that had really small text on it.

The label currently on it is a new one I made.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Community Alumni
Not applicable
deltabravo wrote:
snip.....This mod is suited for the "Decora" style AC switches - the big flat "rocker" style switches.....snip

I realize the mod is a simple fix for those accidental moments, but whats more interesting is that the RV manufacture didn't even provide any on/off designation at the switch (or was the switch an add-on?).

Bob

Hgarnerno1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Deltabravo, have been pondering how to do this. Long overdue..You wonder why the mfgr did not include this. My problem was accidentally turning the switch off when hooked up. It is right under the sink area.:h
Howard, USN Ret
2000 Ford Excursion,V10, Limited
2003 Terry 27H. Super Slide

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad

We all know that running the water heater AC element when the tank is empty is BAD, or running it (accidentally) on inverter will drain your batteries in a heartbeat.

I saw this on another forum. It's a little safety device to prevent the water heater from accidentally being turned on. In my case, it will prevent it from being turned on when I am running the inverter or generator... in other words, anytime I am dry camping.

It's called a "mirror clip" and most decent hardware stores have them. I went to a local ACE Hardware in my neighborhood.

It took longer to type this writeup than it did to actually do the mod. This is a cheap mod too, total cost was $0.49. I spent more in gas driving to the store to get the parts than what the parts cost.

This mod is suited for the "Decora" style AC switches - the big flat "rocker" style switches.

Side view:

Top view:

Step one, flatten it. I sanded off the stepped portion on the back.

Choose your mounting location, and orient it to the side like shown, so it will clear the switch when you want to run the HWH on AC power

Done: This is in "lockout" mode

Run mode:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator