cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could VIA Motors be the next generation of tow vehicles?

MegaWonder
Explorer
Explorer
There are several videos on this company's youtube channel. Just thinking... Charge up at the campsite and or run your rv from its on board power souce option.
100mpge (gas equivelent?) 400 miles to the tank (unloaded I think). Have not found any of the crucial specs yet.

https://vimeo.com/136007732
2010 EVERGREEN EVERLITE 31RLS

2010 RAM 3500 SRW MEGA CAB 4X4 with 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Auto, 3.73 gears
47 REPLIES 47

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
MegaWonder wrote:
Well said John, having an EV for longer commutes makes you very aware of how your driving (speed and takeoffs from starts) and what accessories (heat temp, AC, headlights, windshield wipers etc.) your using. My EV does not use the more efficient heatpump for climate control found on the latest models of EVs. We use either the radio remote keyfob or the smart phone app to check SOC (state of charge) or pre conditioning the climate control. We do realize we are using our EV to its limits (82/84 mile epa adjusted range). We are able to charge @120v during work day for trip back home. This L1 (120v)charge does not fully charge vehicle during work day but during the warmer months it is suffice to about 80/82% avg charge. Winter time without having some type of climatic controlled battery system (like $$Tesla) finds our preceived range (using the computer guess range display) find us limited to up to 40% or more perceived range loss. The nature of our lithion battery chemistry does not allow battery to charge to full capacity. So we use the backup vehicle during these extreme cold days and use the EV locally.

I think in 20 years a lot of us first adapters will look back and smile at some of the challenges we had with the first couple generations of EV's. 🙂 Range, climate control etc. 🙂 When we come back from our europe trip in 2018 we will probably buy the new generation leaf as a second vehicle and be an all electric family except for the motorhome of course. I would love the new tesla 300 at around the 35000 mark but I think from the price and service point of view the leaf will be better for us. Our smart EV is serviced by mercedes and they are co-located with nissan so its kind of one stop shopping for warranty checks etc.

Im curious what you are driving?

I hate to burst your EV bubble, but you are not the "first adopter" of Electric vehicles.

They say History repeats it's self.. It has.

You are about 125 or so years too late to the EV party..

To be an early adopter you would have to bought one in the late 1890s.

There were literally several THOUSAND electric vehicle manufacturers by 1900..

By 1907 that was down to a handful and pretty much by 1920 ALL electric vehicle manufacturing had ceased.

Some of the more known were Baker, Columbia, Pope, Riker (Riker made cars, Buses and even electric trucks which the US Postal Service bought and used), all Electric vehicle manufacturers were eventually bought up by Electric vehicle Company. Electric Vehicle Company continued to build Riker ELECTRIC TRUCKS into the late 1920s for industrial usage but even that ceased.

Heavy expensive batteries and short distance, long charging times and cost eventually lead to the demise of electric vehicles.

Electric vehicles made a return in the mid 1970s and failed within a few years..

1980s saw yet another attempt that failed by GM..

Even with todays battery tech, there simply is not enough power per pound of weight available in storage batteries.. Simply put to you can't get enough battery per pound to do the same amount of work as gasoline. Thats why "hybrids" were invented..

Granted, with an EV you don't spend money on gas, BUT you have to spend money on an ELECTRIC BILL.. I pay an average of $80 for electric, my gas bill for two pickup trucks is $400 per month and that is with commuting 500 miles per week..

I can assure you my electric bill will cost much more than $500 a month for two electric vehicles at my current rates.

Drive one if you want to, thats fine by me, but personally I would rather not.

Yah I suspect it depends where you live and what you pay for power. Where we live its just over 10 cents per kilowatt hour so yah, it is one heck of a lot cheaper to charge with electric than pay for gas. We drive at a fraction of the cost we could for gas. Curious where you live though that your rates are so high.

PA, the land were "taxation" is the number one "hobby" our state officials :M

Electricity rates jumped majorly over the last few years due to MANY coal fired power plants being taken off line due to environmental regs. 20 yrs ago I had electric bills of $30 per month, going back through my records I noted that my average electric consumption went DOWN by 10% but my electric bill nearly tripled.

That leaves more expensive natural gas, atomic and the most expensive "renewable" power sources like wind and solar..

You can't have "cheap" AND "green", those two items are mutually exclusive. There are a lot of added charges which go up with the more KWs you use..

Don't worry, you will eventually get charged for road usage taxes, they WILL eventually catch up to the EV loophole.

I hear ya. It'll be an interesting next decade. I think it will be hard to put the genie back in the bottle though. Previous attempts at mainstreaming electric vehicles were iffy. But now they are producing hundreds of thousands soon to be millions a year. For many like us even in their current form and range they work for us.

It'll be interesting to see what the tesla 3 does to the market.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
John & Angela wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
MegaWonder wrote:
Well said John, having an EV for longer commutes makes you very aware of how your driving (speed and takeoffs from starts) and what accessories (heat temp, AC, headlights, windshield wipers etc.) your using. My EV does not use the more efficient heatpump for climate control found on the latest models of EVs. We use either the radio remote keyfob or the smart phone app to check SOC (state of charge) or pre conditioning the climate control. We do realize we are using our EV to its limits (82/84 mile epa adjusted range). We are able to charge @120v during work day for trip back home. This L1 (120v)charge does not fully charge vehicle during work day but during the warmer months it is suffice to about 80/82% avg charge. Winter time without having some type of climatic controlled battery system (like $$Tesla) finds our preceived range (using the computer guess range display) find us limited to up to 40% or more perceived range loss. The nature of our lithion battery chemistry does not allow battery to charge to full capacity. So we use the backup vehicle during these extreme cold days and use the EV locally.

I think in 20 years a lot of us first adapters will look back and smile at some of the challenges we had with the first couple generations of EV's. 🙂 Range, climate control etc. 🙂 When we come back from our europe trip in 2018 we will probably buy the new generation leaf as a second vehicle and be an all electric family except for the motorhome of course. I would love the new tesla 300 at around the 35000 mark but I think from the price and service point of view the leaf will be better for us. Our smart EV is serviced by mercedes and they are co-located with nissan so its kind of one stop shopping for warranty checks etc.

I hate to burst your EV bubble, but you are not the "first adopter" of Electric vehicles.

By 1907 that was down to a handful and pretty much by 1920 ALL electric vehicle manufacturing had ceased.

Some of the more known were Baker, Columbia, Pope, Riker (Riker made cars, Buses and even electric trucks which the US Postal Service bought and used), all Electric vehicle manufacturers were eventually bought up by Electric vehicle Company. Electric Vehicle Company continued to build Riker ELECTRIC TRUCKS into the late 1920s for industrial usage but even that ceased.

Heavy expensive batteries and short distance, long charging times and cost eventually lead to the demise of electric vehicles.

Electric vehicles made a return in the mid 1970s and failed within a few years..

Even with todays battery tech, there simply is not enough power per pound of weight available in storage batteries.. Simply put to you can't get enough battery per pound to do the same amount of work as gasoline. Thats why "hybrids" were invented..

Granted, with an EV you don't spend money on gas, BUT you have to spend money on an ELECTRIC BILL.. I pay an average of $80 for electric, my gas bill for two pickup trucks is $400 per month and that is with commuting 500 miles per week..

I can assure you my electric bill will cost much more than $500 a month for two electric vehicles at my current rates.

Yah I suspect it depends where you live and what you pay for power. Where we live its just over 10 cents per kilowatt hour so yah, it is one heck of a lot cheaper to charge with electric than pay for gas. We drive at a fraction of the cost we could for gas. Curious where you live though that your rates are so high.

PA, the land were "taxation" is the number one "hobby" our state officials :M

Electricity rates jumped majorly over the last few years due to MANY coal fired power plants being taken off line due to environmental regs. 20 yrs ago I had electric bills of $30 per month, going back through my records I noted that my average electric consumption went DOWN by 10% but my electric bill nearly tripled.

That leaves more expensive natural gas, atomic and the most expensive "renewable" power sources like wind and solar..

You can't have "cheap" AND "green", those two items are mutually exclusive. There are a lot of added charges which go up with the more KWs you use..

Don't worry, you will eventually get charged for road usage taxes, they WILL eventually catch up to the EV loophole.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
MegaWonder wrote:

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
John & Angela wrote:
MegaWonder wrote:

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
MegaWonder wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
MegaWonder wrote:

Hi John,
We were extremely lucky in being able to obtain the limited produced Honda Fit EV. 1 of 1,100 produced 2013 and 2014 model years (technology from 2011 I suppose) These are compliance vehicles... Could not pass up the deal. These Lease only vehicles (no purchase option) is an UNLIMITED milage lease and all maintance and inspection included,Collision portion of insurance covered by Honda, as well as the Leviton EVSE (charge equipment both Level 1 portable and Level 2 charge euipment) installation not included. Got in at $259 per month for 36months.. Deal got a little sweeter (especially for the early lesee from 2012 coming off lease) and new Lesee (if you can find one very rare) can Lease for 24months @ $199..same terms from way I understand it. We still have 2 more years left and will weigh out are options at that point.. Tesla model 3?, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf should all be in the 200mile per charge range. Have noticed more High Voltage DC chargers popping up, (using the free Plug Share app), so our next EV will have fast charge capabilities Chademo or Tesla or equivelent. Like you though most if not 99% is at home or work. Vehicle for us is primarily the commuter tool but is a lot of fun to drive as well.

Very nice. Sounds like it worked out for you. We tend to get at least 10 years out of our cars and our CDI is in around that 11 year mark right now. That means it will be about 15 when we trade out for our next EV. 200 miles would be nice for the main car range but I am hoping that manufacturers will continue to produce 80 to 100 versions. Any more than that and it is a waste of money and resources for us. Some leaf owners were asked if they paid 5000 dollars more to double their range would they do it and the vast majority said no. Why would they. Most drive 35 to 50 miles a day. What would be the point. So far it looks like the 2017 leaf will be available with at least two sizes of batteries. The tesla 3 may have three sizes available. All good news. Gotta say, once you go electric its hard to go back with something with a tail pipe.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
shepstone wrote:
40-45 miles??? I'm assuming that is an empty truck as well. Seems counter productive .Correct if I am wrong but I don't think that battery technology is good enough yet to electrify a truck.

I think thats a valid point but I would think there are a lot of people driving around with a truck that less than 10 percent of the time have anything in them. 40 miles would cover the range needs for a lot of people with their truck most of the time. And remember, there are charge station in lots of places and more all the time.

It will improve over time.

Exactly. This could be just the ticket for someone like me. 80% of the time, I'm just driving my truck to and from work (22 miles round trip), running errands, etc. Easily less than 40 miles a day average. But I have the occasional long drive, and need to be able to tow once or twice a month. This truck could do all of that.

I like/need a truck, the numbers don't add up enough to have a second 'commuter 'car,' but wish I could drive something more efficient for my daily commute. The VIA kind of solves that problem (yeah, for the extra premium I could buy a commuter car, but ...).

Ok I can see that , I guess I am looking at it from a contractors point of view. Maybe they would be better to have made a video from the occasional use , user.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

MegaWonder
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
MegaWonder wrote:

Hi John,
We were extremely lucky in being able to obtain the limited produced Honda Fit EV. 1 of 1,100 produced 2013 and 2014 model years (technology from 2011 I suppose) These are compliance vehicles... Could not pass up the deal. These Lease only vehicles (no purchase option) is an UNLIMITED milage lease and all maintance and inspection included,Collision portion of insurance covered by Honda, as well as the Leviton EVSE (charge equipment both Level 1 portable and Level 2 charge euipment) installation not included. Got in at $259 per month for 36months.. Deal got a little sweeter (especially for the early lesee from 2012 coming off lease) and new Lesee (if you can find one very rare) can Lease for 24months @ $199..same terms from way I understand it. We still have 2 more years left and will weigh out are options at that point.. Tesla model 3?, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf should all be in the 200mile per charge range. Have noticed more High Voltage DC chargers popping up, (using the free Plug Share app), so our next EV will have fast charge capabilities Chademo or Tesla or equivelent. Like you though most if not 99% is at home or work. Vehicle for us is primarily the commuter tool but is a lot of fun to drive as well.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe some of you are missing the point of this truck.

This truck will never be a tow vehicle.........at least in the sense of this forum (RV's). Batteries have a limit. They just can't get better and better and better without end.

"The maximum theoretical potential of advanced lithium-ion batteries that haven't yet been demonstrated to work is still only about 6 percent of crude oil."

Lets say you buy one of this trucks for 80 grand to tow your TT. Here is what's going to happen. Just to tow your high roof TT down the road on the straight and level it will take around 100 to 125 HP. The figures go up at an unbelievable rate when you come to a hill let alone mountains.

Now lets say you live in KS where there are no hills or mountains. So you and your family take off for California on your dream vacation. All is golden till about 10 to 15 miles down the road. That is where you battery power will end. No problem say you, "I have a genset under the hood" to keep going. Very true. But that genset can only put out around 100 KW or energy continuously. Math says 100 KW is about 135 HP. Your 80 grand truck now can only put out 135 HP max. Even then, there are losses. (Remember, it takes 100 to 125 HP just on a flat road at 65 MPH with most TT'ers and you now only have a few more HP than that to pull a hill or mountain.

So after 10 or 15 miles of your dream trip to California your now really cool tow truck now only has 135 HP to tow to CA on. Oh sure, when you get to the campground at night you can plug in and get another 10 or 15 miles down the road on your trip. Or on the other side of the mountain you can capture a few KW's and put them back into your battery.

When you get to the Rockies things get real ugly. Your batteries are only going to last you two or three miles at the most. Your genset will kick in and you will have a snail pace 135 HP to tow your TT over the Rockies with. Remember, the 4.3 Chevy motor puts out right at 300 HP but your genset will only recharge your batteries at a 100 KW continuous output (135 HP)so that's what your going to get at your wheels.

Remember, these trucks were not designed to tow anything with. They were made to get great gas mileage around town hauling a few things in the bed. And they do get at that. "Practical" towing a TT for long distances? No, it won't happen.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
shepstone wrote:
40-45 miles??? I'm assuming that is an empty truck as well. Seems counter productive .Correct if I am wrong but I don't think that battery technology is good enough yet to electrify a truck.

I think thats a valid point but I would think there are a lot of people driving around with a truck that less than 10 percent of the time have anything in them. 40 miles would cover the range needs for a lot of people with their truck most of the time. And remember, there are charge station in lots of places and more all the time.

It will improve over time.

Exactly. This could be just the ticket for someone like me. 80% of the time, I'm just driving my truck to and from work (22 miles round trip), running errands, etc. Easily less than 40 miles a day average. But I have the occasional long drive, and need to be able to tow once or twice a month. This truck could do all of that.

I like/need a truck, the numbers don't add up enough to have a second 'commuter 'car,' but wish I could drive something more efficient for my daily commute. The VIA kind of solves that problem (yeah, for the extra premium I could buy a commuter car, but ...).
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The Via system keeps the OEM engine, so the OEM heater will work
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
MegaWonder wrote:

MegaWonder
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:

I had a gas heater in one of my VW Beetles back in the '60's. Very effective, very warm in the bug, but it did eat gas.

Had a friend who owned one. he had to open the sun roof slightly to get enough air to flow thru to heat it up. 🙂
bumpy

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
how do these electric vehicles get heated up in the winter?
reminds me of the old VW bug days, freeze to death.
bumpy

I had a gas heater in one of my VW Beetles back in the '60's. Very effective, very warm in the bug, but it did eat gas.

But you bring up a very good question.

How will the electric trucks do in cold winter climes like where I live...gets to - 30, -35 regularly ?

Not just keeping warm, which I imagine will be handled by an electric heater in the cab, but the big question is will the miles per charge, be affected by extreme cold ?

What will the driving range be in -30 to -35 weather ?

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
how do these electric vehicles get heated up in the winter?
reminds me of the old VW bug days, freeze to death.
bumpy

Good morning Bumpy. Our mornings here are pretty nippy right now, about 6 or 7 degrees celcius. On the way to work in my CDI diesel I am halfway to work before the heat even starts to show up. (Thank god for heated seats). In Angelas car from the time she gets in the car to the time its warm inside is about 200 yards thanks to the 5 KW heater. She also has heated seats. The other cool thing is she can turn on her climate control from her Iphone 10 minutes before she leaves. Real nice on hot days. This comes at a cost to range and when you crank on the heat if your range was reading 120 (or whatever) before the computer will immediately recalculate and you will lose 25 or 30 km off the range. Not an issue for her as a busy day for her is still in that 40 to 50 km thing. However if you use the iphone to cool it off or whatever before you go and its still plugged in you don't lose near as much range as there is less demand once you are in. Kinda cool. Its a whole learning curve and definitely a different mindset driving these things.

Hope that helps.

John