cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crank up jack failed

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I was cranking up my 30 ft TT and the jack crashed down, sounded like it stripped inside the jack. Went down 17 inches. Could not find any thing wrong inside the TT. First time for a crank up jack. Could not find out how to take apart so threw it away. What caused this? I took it off of a new TT when I put elect jack on. I am selling the TT and keeping the elect jack
samsontdog:o:W
3 REPLIES 3

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never could understand the reason for an electric tongue jack, or maybe I have been lucky on both trailers that I have had.
When mine is hitched to my truck, and I want to take it off, all it takes is one finger with the handle up and I give it a flick, and it spins about three times. I do this until foot touches the ground, and then it just takes a few turns to get it off the ball.
Hitching up is just the opposite. (practically no work at all)

I just bought a new trailer that comes with an electric one, and I am already visualizing the electrical problems that will come along with it.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
Mine was because the jack nut that rides on the jack screw thread stripped out.

The tongue went down and I had to use the car jack to put the TT back on the hitch.

I looked for an electric jack but opted for a mechanical one. It was cheaper, did not need additional wiring and is the last vestige of exercise I get with a TT.

It was about $40.00 on amazon and matched the old bolt holes.

Just so you will know. No real wiring needed. Just loop the hot wire under the positive battery post wingnut. The jack grounds thru where it bolts into the tongue
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was because the jack nut that rides on the jack screw thread stripped out.

The tongue went down and I had to use the car jack to put the TT back on the hitch.

I looked for an electric jack but opted for a mechanical one. It was cheaper, did not need additional wiring and is the last vestige of exercise I get with a TT.

It was about $40.00 on amazon and matched the old bolt holes.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.