cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious question, effective weight over bumps

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
So if someone has a 1-ton pickup with a camper that weighs a grand total of 11,000-lbs, and one goes over a speed bump or pot-hole at say 20 mph, whats the effective spike weight on the tires, axles, etc?

There seems to be a lot of commentary about carrying limits based on well-behaved road and load conditions, but I don't see much factoring in of speed bumps, pot holes, rutted logging roads and so on.

Just curious.

--SiletzSpey
6 REPLIES 6

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
There is such a thing as "impact rupture" in the sidewall of a tire, due to hitting a object such as you describe. However, if all other conditions are "normal", e.g., driving at legal speed, not overloaded for PSI in the tires, etc., you should never experience a impact rupture.
Tires and other suspension components are engineered with a high safety factor to withstand just what you are talking about.
Don't let it be a major concern!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Normal roads including rough, potholed roads aren't really a concern.

However, I know my father hit a rough railroad track at 60 mph and blew a tire, bent the rim along with making a known weak spot in the camper bulge out. Not sure if it was the crossing, the speed, or possibly he may have even drifted to the side and hit the tracks themselves, but it was an unusual extreme situation.

To give you an idea of how you can overload a tire without damaging, we once moved a log barn that we estimated weighed 20 tons on a trailer with two 3 ton axles. Our max speed was at a slow walking pace for about 1,200 feet across a dirt field.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can’t say for pickups and rv’s but in heavy duty trucks tires inflated to the correct pressure for the load are an active suspension component protecting the vehicle, occupants and cargo from road “ imperfections”.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Siletzspey wrote:
So if someone has a 1-ton pickup with a camper that weighs a grand total of 11,000-lbs, and one goes over a speed bump or pot-hole at say 20 mph, whats the effective spike weight on the tires, axles, etc?

There seems to be a lot of commentary about carrying limits based on well-behaved road and load conditions, but I don't see much factoring in of speed bumps, pot holes, rutted logging roads and so on.

Just curious.

--SiletzSpey

The design limits assume dynamic loading (aka hitting bumps and potholes at speed).

Static loading (nothing is moving), you can typically safely support several times the rated load with no fear of failure or long term damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don’t know, but mostly, you should be ok. I’ve hit random hard to see bumps etc at higher speeds in both SRW and DRW.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Tires can carry spikes, or low speed load in the range of 4-5 times their high speed rating.
How many times have you seen triple axle trailer with 2 axles in the air?