cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curt WD hitch setup

Rcers
Explorer
Explorer
First camper and trying to get WD hitch ball height set correctly for my truck. Camper setting level i measured to top of ball hitch. Truck setting level I want to adjust hitch to where the top of ball is same height as camper hitch. Since the holes for ball adjustment height aren't in the perfect spot for level,I have to choose to have the ball either a little high or a little low. I'm prob being way to finicky but in this situation,is it better to tow with trailer a little high in front or a little low?
11 REPLIES 11

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Rcers wrote:
Good idea, will check that out tonight. Your thinking 700lb in bed and maybe 500lb tongue weight is too much?

It is not what I "think", it is what the scales "say" that matters.

Rcers
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the info I found for my truck online,its on pg.10

2012 Ram chart

2012 ram 1500
Std cab-8' box-4x4-tradesman-
5.7 hemi
Looks like I can carry 1500 lbs and tow 8700 lbs?
Out of the 1500 lbs carry,that incudes everything and everybody in the cab,bed and tongue weight? Is that correct ?
Out of the 8700 lbs tow,that includes the trailer and all its contents? Is that correct?
Just trying to make sure I'm reading this correctly.
Thanks again for all the input

Rcers
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea, will check that out tonight. Your thinking 700lb in bed and maybe 500lb tongue weight is too much?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What does the yellow sticker in the door say your payload limit is? I suspect you will be over it, which is not the best thing.

Rcers
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for all the info guys,right now I think the ball is about 1" higher. My driveway is not completely level so that's a little bit of a guesstimate. I'm also guessing that when I load a couple dirtbikes,tool boxs,etc. in the bed it will drop some more? My plan is to pull it somewhere level after were loaded up and complete/adjust my setup from there. I'm sure there's gonna be more questions coming as I start towing this thing around?? I've never towed anything this big before so there's gonna be a learning curve I'm sure. Thx again
PS: camper is a 06 Springdale 189,sticker says 4500lbs with 450 tongue weight. Are those manufactures stickers fairly accurate? Should my 12 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7 hemi pull it ok? I'm guessing we put a extra 700lbs of bikes,gear in the bed of truck and maybe 300lbs more in the camper.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is that it is not totally a guessing game and you don't have to wait months to get it right. The local scales and a tape measure are your best friends when it comes to setting up your hitch correctly.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ultimately, you want the finished, WD setup to have the trailer level, to a tad low up front. That's hard to determine with measuring unloaded heights, but that will get you close enough to get the initial setup done.

Hitch it up, take it for a run and decide from there..

I towed my trailer for a whole season before I decided to lower my hitch head a notch. Towed much better after that.

Not gonna happen on the first time for the most part... So, just gotta pick a setting and see how it works for you and adjust from there..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
ball 1 inch high than coupler per curt ball at a slight angle bars pointing at the ground

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure which model you have, but in one of the steps for setting up, you should be tilting the hitch head on order to get the bars at the correct angle. So if you set the ball closest to level with the height of the top of the inside of the coupler, you'll probably find the two are within an inch of each other.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
First, the truck will go down when the weight of the trailer is on the ball.

Second, the trailer should level or slightly nose down, never up.

A bit of trial and error may be needed to get it to the best setting.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Most prefer a little low in front. What does your trailer, hitch, and tow vehicle manuals have to say on the subject?