cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dampness in Refrigerator

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
This is my second year with my Puma 23FB. Last year 160 nights up to Alaska. This summer already 45 nights in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, etc. Retired life is great...

I have the standard Dometic, two door, Model DMR702. My refrigerator/freezer runs at around 40/10 +/- 5 degrees F. The cardboard boxes (Eggos, pizza, etc.) in the freezer feel damp. I build up a certain amount of frost in the freezer compartment. I keep everything running until I return home and shut everything down. I stick a bath towel in the freezer with the door open to collect the melting frost and really dry it out for the next trip.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the dampness and frost? You sort of get spoiled with the frost-free home units.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

bjlakatos1
Explorer
Explorer
check the seals with a dollar bill. Close the door on it and see if you can pull it out easily. My norcold seals went bad on part of the door. The seals are folded in two so I was able to stuff some soft insulation inside the fold to correct the problem. I understand the norcold seals are part of the door and can not be replaced.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

RV Mobile Repair while I was at a CG. They carry them on board their trucks because they fail so often.

Thanks
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Check the door seals for an air leak. The warm moist ambient air entering the fridge/freezer causes excessive condensation and frost.

X2
Those RV fridge door seals go south pretty quick. I replaced mine and all the moisture on my food stopped.

Where did you get the replacement door seals from? Thanks.

RV Mobile Repair while I was at a CG. They carry them on board their trucks because they fail so often.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Check the door seals for an air leak. The warm moist ambient air entering the fridge/freezer causes excessive condensation and frost.

X2
Those RV fridge door seals go south pretty quick. I replaced mine and all the moisture on my food stopped.

Where did you get the replacement door seals from? Thanks.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
replaced mine and the temps will drop .

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad