cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dead throttle responce on ram 2500

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else having a delayed throttle response when you let up and push down again, I go to pull out and there is nothing for a hesitation. Scary
toolmaker
18 REPLIES 18

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Update. I went to the dealer and there was a Service Bulletin for a software update, had it reprogramed . So far so good.
toolmaker

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do your waterpump recall while you are there !

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with a 1999 Dodge 2500 CTD, manual transmission.
Sometimes it would lag, sometimes it would just quit while driving through town. After it rolled a hundred feet or so, it would catch again, then run fine for a while.
The scangauge said it had a Throttle Position Sensor problem, so I had it replaced. Expensive little pup (about $400), but the problem went away.
The truck had a little over 175,000 on it at the time.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
M.R.E. wrote:
Anyone else having a delayed throttle response when you let up and push down again, I go to pull out and there is nothing for a hesitation. Scary

It is quite common on the CTD. If you mash the pedal, then take your foot off, then mash it again too quickly, it will delay. The exceptionally easy solution is to not mash your pedal, take your foot off and immediately mash it again.

By the way, mashing the pedal actually causes a slower take off with the CTD. If you are trying to build power/speed quickly, it responds best when you roll on the power instead of mashing it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
This is what we get with drive by wire. The pcm takes out a lot of the throttle response. Floor the pedal and the pcm May give you half of that from a dead stop and hen build up from their. You want hesitation! Drive my wifeโ€™s โ€˜13 Explorer (non turbo). The pcm doesnโ€™t know what to do for a few seconds after you get into it. Itโ€™s so bad that even my wife complains about it and she is not a lead foot. Itโ€™s out of warranty now so it will be getting a 5 star tune that will fix that!

That's how my '09 Silverado 6.0 was. Have to punch if a light turned and the big nothing....then it would kick in.

The new Ram Cummins...no hesitation when having to get through a light.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rolling into the throttle will help. Report it to www.safercar.gov, as RAM refuses to address the issue. If enough people report it to NTSB maybe they will address. It's a "driving style issue" and I hardly ever have it. I can however create it by modifying my driving style.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what we get with drive by wire. The pcm takes out a lot of the throttle response. Floor the pedal and the pcm May give you half of that from a dead stop and hen build up from their. You want hesitation! Drive my wifeโ€™s โ€˜13 Explorer (non turbo). The pcm doesnโ€™t know what to do for a few seconds after you get into it. Itโ€™s so bad that even my wife complains about it and she is not a lead foot. Itโ€™s out of warranty now so it will be getting a 5 star tune that will fix that!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 stock CTD, no lag.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
M.R.E. wrote:
It's a stock '16 CTD. I'll check with the dealer when I go for my trans Park recall. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem with hesitation at times.

I have the same truck and have not noticed that problem

Let us know what the dealer says
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

arkie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Mine will only do it when I dip into the throttle pretty good, release it and then dip right back into it again in a fast sequence, and then I'll get a second or so of hesitation. As mentioned above some have eliminated it with tuners. I just try to avoid the specific sequence that causes it so I very rarely experience it.

Mine does the same thing, I guess I've gotten used to it.
Mark and Dianna
along with Hank the Wonderdog
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 CC Silverback 33IK

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will only do it when I dip into the throttle pretty good, release it and then dip right back into it again in a fast sequence, and then I'll get a second or so of hesitation. As mentioned above some have eliminated it with tuners. I just try to avoid the specific sequence that causes it so I very rarely experience it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
It's a stock '16 CTD. I'll check with the dealer when I go for my trans Park recall. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem with hesitation at times.
toolmaker

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
It's heavy programmed torque management causing dead or delayed pedal. You can minimize some it by turning off traction control and putting the transmission into tow/haul mode. Others have gone to tuners or mods to fix the response.

I think some of it is also emissions related. The balancing act of not sending too much fuel and clogging DPF before turbo spools up. I believe some of the tuners can throw more fuel at it on the bottom end but that is why some DPF on bad tunes kill the filter.