cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

newcommer
Explorer
Explorer
What is the new warning label I saw yesterday on a diesel pump, it contain sulfur and could not be used in 2007 engines without causing damage. Anybody have some stats on this new change?

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if I recommended the dually, but sure could use the beer. Not being overloaded and having a bit more truck than the minimum, makes alot of difference in the performance. I am still amazed at how you get so much more power with the diesel yet manage to use much less fuel. I will never consider a gas TV again.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Arnie_L
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I pulled my Jayco 34' fiver with a chevy 2500 HD 6.0 gasser. I got between 7-8 mpg in the mountains and struggled most of the way. I just returned from the same trip but this time with my new F-350 PSD Dually. What a difference!! Took the hills like it was born for it. Also got between 11.7 and 12 MPG. The best thing I did was to get a dually. To all you guys who suggested it, I owe you a beer.

kah68
Explorer
Explorer
turtletub wrote:
The 5er I want is Triumph 395RL5S and Length 39' 7" Height 12' 6"
GVWR (lbs) 15,350
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,398
Gross Dry Weight (lbs) 12,952
Hitch Dry Weight (lbs) 2,098

I would look for a 98' Dodge Dually Quad cab 12V/ they can be had for a good price, are good on fuel and will tow your trialer no problem. If you want to uprate the motor it is easy and inexpensive and this truck will last a long time if looked after. JMHO

lotto7335
Explorer
Explorer
hindle_az wrote:
lotto7335 wrote:

I have same, but ext cab, short bed. I get about 9-10 city driving, and 13.5 on highway. I am not a "leadfoot" by anymeans.

You are missing out. I have an 02 I bought used with 50,000 miles for about 27 OTD almost a couple of years ago. I get around 15 City and 20 highway. In the city I drive conservatively. I'm not a lead foot but I'm not a granny either. On the highway without the trailer I run about 75mph. With my trailer I get 9 to 10 MPG with a full 40gal water tank sometimes waste tanks are empty and other times they are 1/3 to 2/3's full. I run between 65 and 70 with the trailer. I'm pulling a Jayco Talon 24ft. Toy hauler. I usually have a few bikes plus gear.

I'm not sure what you can do to better your mileage other then change your driving habbits. People don't realize how much fuel is wasted when you leave every light likes it's race. I'm not saying drive like your 100 years old but somewhere in between you can probably pickup a few MPG gas or diesel. Same on the highway...if I hit any hills sometimes your better off dropping a gear and going 55 then slaming the throttle to the floor to hold 65 70 with your trailer. It all depends.
lotto

hindle_az
Explorer
Explorer
lotto7335 wrote:

I have same, but ext cab, short bed. I get about 9-10 city driving, and 13.5 on highway. I am not a "leadfoot" by anymeans.

You are missing out. I have an 02 I bought used with 50,000 miles for about 27 OTD almost a couple of years ago. I get around 15 City and 20 highway. In the city I drive conservatively. I'm not a lead foot but I'm not a granny either. On the highway without the trailer I run about 75mph. With my trailer I get 9 to 10 MPG with a full 40gal water tank sometimes waste tanks are empty and other times they are 1/3 to 2/3's full. I run between 65 and 70 with the trailer. I'm pulling a Jayco Talon 24ft. Toy hauler. I usually have a few bikes plus gear.

I'm not sure what you can do to better your mileage other then change your driving habbits. People don't realize how much fuel is wasted when you leave every light likes it's race. I'm not saying drive like your 100 years old but somewhere in between you can probably pickup a few MPG gas or diesel. Same on the highway...if I hit any hills sometimes your better off dropping a gear and going 55 then slaming the throttle to the floor to hold 65 70 with your trailer. It all depends.

Maybe consult with a engine builder that has diesel experience.

lrover94
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my 00' Excursion LTD V10 Used 30 months ago, Paid 16.7K for 44k mi loaded truck, counldn't find a low mileage Diesel for reasonable price. Mileage in city depending on Boston traffic 9-11mpg, Highway at 67mph with 4 people 16.7. pulling a trailer with 2-4 people in truck full propane, no water or waste, get between 9-11 mpg depending on how many hills I come across in New England. at 55mph. TT is 35ft Layton 336 scout GCVW is between 16.8-17.8K

lotto7335
Explorer
Explorer
falva wrote:
I have a 2004 2500HD GMC Crew Cab Duramax. I'm only getting about 11mpg in city and about 9 when I'm towing. I have several friends that own similar vehicles, or the same, but they get 17mpg and about 13 towing. Is there anything that I can do to my truck to get the same mpg? I love my truck, but would like a little more mileage.

What trailer are you pulling? Mine is a 27ft 7800# gross TT
lotto

lotto7335
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy to all:

Regards to Diesle vs. Gas. I had an 02 Chev 3/4, pulling a 27ft TT. I don't really care about the difference. I wanted a Diesel so I went out and bought an 04 GMC D/A. Love it.

So there.
lotto

kah68
Explorer
Explorer
I know this thread is way too long so I'll keep this short. Torque (when spec'd properly) rules when it comes to towing. It allows you to stay in a higher gear resulting in better fuel economy and better towing (grade-ability). I think people need to make their own decisions based on their needs ( financial situation, amount of useage, % of time towing VS. driving empty). I have 3 diesels and 2 gassers and there is no doubt in my mind its nicer towing with the diesels. That said for the amount of time I will be towing my 5'er and driving my 'new' truck empty, a good deal on a clean low mile big block could be the way to go for me.

Ivory_Snatcher
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Ford E-350 with the v-10 also.

Frank
Frank, Linda, & Cassie (JR Terrier)

loveshack1
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I've taken a personal affront to the "you must be happy 'cause you saved $5000 dollars. Actually, I saved about $15000 because I bought a good used vehicle. As for the underpower / over guzzling, to each their own. We just returned from a 2500 mile jaunt, got 10mpg pullin the billboard through nasty winds, rain, over mountains and what not......SO THERE! Yes, I'm very happy with the v-10, but that's me. No need to get nasty about either.
YOU CAN'T SPELL TRAVEL WITHOUT RV

mich_hoosier
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I had a 3/4 ton Chevy, 8.5 (498ci) eng, Allison 5 speed auto. I was very happy with the power and tranny. When I purchased it, I was pulling my 36 foot Jayco fifth wheel. Average when pulling was 8 mpg, empty 13 mpg. I saw no reason to spend another 5,000 bucks for a diesel. I soon started pulling new RV's out of Northern Indiana and delivering them all over the country. I am putting on 10,000 miles a month (and could do more if I wanted). I purchased a 1 ton Dodge, duelly with the Cummins Diesel. My milage is from 12 to 14 when loaded, and 18 to 20 empty. This depends on speed. So, my answer on gas vs diesel, is that if you travel a lot of miles, the diesel is worth the extra 5,000. But, if it is just for a few trips a year, the gas would work.
Mich_Hoosier

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
big russ,

You haven't been hanging around Supercharged have you?:)

Boomer
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Short Box 5.9 CTD
2005 Rockwood 8318SS
01 Harley FXDWG2 Limited Edition

big_russ
Explorer
Explorer
yer so kind.but it was a argument for gasers,and if i did have a diesel it would,nt be a come- a- part cummins:0