cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

phoenixfla
Explorer
Explorer
desrcr wrote:
Won't own a GM product (my reasons), Dodge has a great engine in a second rate package, won't own a Ford 6.0 (most 7.3's are beat)if you gave it to me....The dust will settle on the ULSD and I will get back to shopping for a new truck.
I will pick based on $ and use, not the biased opinions of this forum.

Wow, not sure what you will get since it sounds like you would not be happy with any diesel out there.
2006 Ford F-350 6.0L PSD Crew Cab Long Bed Dually
2008 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34BHT
1974 Apache Ramada

joheath
Explorer
Explorer
In the old days it was people power then we used Morgan Draft Horses to tow with and they were replaced with gas and now with the evolution of the diesel motor we have advanced to diesel power. I believe they call it progress.
2003 Silverado LS 2500HD CC SB 4x4
6.6 Duramax/Allison DK Carmine Red

desrcr
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at some random samples of this thread I feel compeled to write something:
There are lots of large class A MH's out there pulling hills with trailers everyday. They seem to get the job done, gas is not as bad as the diesel guys tend to think.
Diesels are TURBOCHARGED to make thm useable. They get superior mileage. They pull at lower rpm ranges making them fell like they are pulling harder. They are great for pulling, but they DO stink and are louder at idle.
Gas has been strangled by EPA and MPG rules, so research has all but stopped on big gas engines. They work at higher rpms and get poor mileage.
I don't know how old some of you are but, I used to tow a 27" Terry trailer with a 1966 Dodge A100 Van with a 318ci. No power steering or brakes ,just trailer brake to compliment. My dad would make me drive home after racing motorcycles, I was 16. Gas was all there was, BB's towed very large trailers(no 5ers).
If you think the only way to get it done is YOUR way, your closed minded and quite insecure with your choice of TV. There are reasons other then ,wanting to be the first to the camp ground, for the vechicle most have chosen.
My decision was Gas. Why. Won't own a GM product (my reasons), Dodge has a great engine in a second rate package, won't own a Ford 6.0 (most 7.3's are beat)if you gave it to me. I bought a friends used F-350 with a V-10. Its not perfect but it gets the job done.
The dust will settle on the ULSD and I will get back to shopping for a new truck.
I will pick based on $ and use, not the biased opinions of this forum.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a gas motorhome to save money.

It saves in initial cost. An additional $10,000 in New price would bring up monthly payments by $100 per month for 180 months.

It saves in sales tax and registration fees in California.

While I have to get a smog check every 2 years and diesel does not, this is only about $50 every 2 years.

The vehicle is lighter in weight than a diesel, so moving less weight can save fuel, even though I will use more gasoline than a diesel motorhome.

In Class C motorhomes, the lighter front axle weight is critical - to prevent exceeding the GAWR and GVWR.

Even though I average 8,000 miles per year, and get about 7 MPG, I think I am spending less on fuel, oil changes and fuel filters. Add up the total costs for 1 year. At $1.20 per gallon when I bought the RV, it was only a difference of $200 a year in fuel, while a difference of over $150 in fuel filters, oil filters and those 5 gallon oil changes.

I save on insurance costs. A higher priced RV is more expensive to insure.

Gas engines don't mind being shut off for months on end. Diesel fuel will have to be treated with bioside during the summer months when I am busy at work and not taking trips.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

hindle_az
Explorer
Explorer
TexasBorn wrote:
hindle_az wrote:
jmbusa wrote:
Diesels are: loud, noisy, air polluters, noise polluters, overrated, expensive, expensive to maintain, overkill for most RVers.

This guy does not have a clue.

I know that.....I was going to expose him when he replied with..."Well, uhhh....I've never owned one before but my buddy had one and I think I parked next to one at a rest area...."

It's pretty simple, if you tow alot and often Diesel is the way to go period! There is no comparison costs and towing wise.

TexasBorn
Explorer
Explorer
hindle_az wrote:
jmbusa wrote:
Diesels are: loud, noisy, air polluters, noise polluters, overrated, expensive, expensive to maintain, overkill for most RVers.

This guy does not have a clue.
2007 Outback 29BHS TT
2004 F350 DRW PSD, 4 Door, 4X4, 4.11

"You can never have enough truck or power"

hindle_az
Explorer
Explorer
jmbusa wrote:

What Diesels have you owned and what trailers did you pull with them?

phoenixfla
Explorer
Explorer
hermant wrote:
Diesels are: quiet, powerful, low-polluting, pleasant sounding, well-rated, affordable, affordable to maintain, and appropriate for many RVers. Among the many reasons that they are being sold is because the RV manufacturers allow us to have many of the items in our RVs which make travel so pleasant. You can actually take along many of the conveniences that you'd find in a modern house. Step back and look around the campground (or RV Resort) sometime and look at the amazing display of $250,000 plus rigs sitting in the place. Most have diesels and heavy duty transmissions because they are safe and reliable! It's just what many of us asked for! And I'd bet that an 8 to ten year payback for these premium purchases sure helps us to pay for a deisel engine which really makes it all worthwhile, especially with diesel fuel being so much less than regular fuel per mile driven! And deisels will last many miles and many years! Lets see! I take several trips a year that average over 2000 miles per trip. So that means I will have that wonderful diesel for many, many years! Isn't it fortunate that we RVers are able to leverage the same diesel technology that is used by freight companies who travel hundreds of thousands of miles a year! Thanks for taking the time to read my personal opinion.

Tom

ROFLMAF
2006 Ford F-350 6.0L PSD Crew Cab Long Bed Dually
2008 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34BHT
1974 Apache Ramada

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
I have both gas & diesel TV with diesel I get more power, better mileage.
At one time cheaper per gallon then gas but we know how that goes. As for noise diesel will always be noisier. I would not own a gas TV again or a class A gas.:C
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
New to RVnet, I decided to read 30 pages of the D vs G. Man did I learn a lot about proper etiquette.

I did laugh out loud holding my chest when one rationalized the noise of their diesel with examples of deer running to the edge of the road and then turning and running back at the sound of the turbo whine.

Someone claimed 400 ft lb of torque out of a 6 cylinder Gas? Hmmm

Forwarding to the current page 96 this September 7th, I find that some folks have just lost it. Attempting to have a red neck smack down battle of the lies; it just seems to be getting off track.

One thing is for certain. There is a lot of brain power on this forum. Actual and hypothetical motors, tranny ratios, differential ratios. Wow!

I have struggled with this comparison in many RV parks and Dealer showrooms. I thought I could do a good job defending my position, but some of you cats are much more researched and experienced.

I stumbled onto a question that has not answered yet. If it was in the remaining 66 pages that I did not read I apologize.

Using some facts found in this thread:

If an 8.1 liter gas develops max torque at 4000 RPM what is the forward moving speed in over drive, 4th gear, 3rd gear, 2nd gear?
Use 4:10 gears with the 5 Allison tranny.

If a 6 liter diesel develops max torque at 1600 RPM what is the forward moving speed in over drive, 4th gear, 3rd gear, 2nd gear?
Use 3:73 gears with the 5 Allison Tranny.

Most every argument has been had, but one simple concept had not been addressed up to page 30.

Is it true that Diesels out accelerate Gas up to 55 MPH and then a Gas can torque through to a higher speed more comfortably? Based on what some posted about the 8.1 liter it would appear that itโ€™s just getting into the max torque between 2000-3000 RPM.

Someone stumped me when asking what kind of rear end and tranny could pull at highway speeds when the torque trails off at 1600 RPM.

In other words, he said "a Diesel can not be geared high enough to keep the RPM down in the meat of the power/torque sweet spot to keep it from shifting out of overdrive on modest 4 lane hills"

I hope the smarter guys/gals are able to find the tranny ratios to put this concept to the test.

It sure seems like the best bet would be a high geared Diesel to pull an 11,000+ 5th wheel at 65 mph, but maybe not?

HDGasser
Explorer
Explorer
jmbusa wrote:
Diesels are: loud, noisy, air polluters, noise polluters, overrated, expensive, expensive to maintain, overkill for most RVers. The only reason they are being sold is because the RV manufacturers tell you you gotta have more stuff in and on your RV when you travel. You gotta have your entire damn house and every toy conceivable to man. Step back and look around the campground (I mean RV Resort)sometime and look at the gaudy display of $250,000 plus rigs sitting in the place. Most must have diesels and industrial transmissions because they are hauling their house and garage! You asked for it! You got it! But I guess an 8 to ten year payback for the premium dollars you have to pay for a deisel engine makes it worth it, especially with diesel fuel being so much less than regular fuel! And deisels will last 400,000 miles or more! Lets see! I take 12 trips a year at an average of 300 miles per trip. So that means I will have that damn diesel for about 110 years! Cmon the only people who really need a diesel are the freight companies who travel thousands of miles a year and the oil rigs!

I bet when this guys gasser craps out on him he'll buy a diesel

06 3500 Duramax(LBZ)/Ally CC/LB 4x4 DooLeY
De-badged, Tinted up, Smoked cab lights

FB2600 WW "Billet Edition"
Inside Hauler:
2006 YFZ 450 by Alba Racing
2006 YFZ 450 Bill Ballance Edition
1915 2-seater beater rail
P.O.S. 1992 Husky 610

joheath
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels have nearly twice the amount of torque as a gasser. So if your serious about towing, especially if you tow a lot, a diesel is the way to go. They tend to get better mileage than a gasser both towing and running empty. The newer ones are quieter and tend to do better in the cold weather than the diesels of yesterday. Since diesels are built for heavy loads/towing they tend to have better braking, which makes it safer if a quick stop is necessary.
2003 Silverado LS 2500HD CC SB 4x4
6.6 Duramax/Allison DK Carmine Red

hermant
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels are: quiet, powerful, low-polluting, pleasant sounding, well-rated, affordable, affordable to maintain, and appropriate for many RVers. Among the many reasons that they are being sold is because the RV manufacturers allow us to have many of the items in our RVs which make travel so pleasant. You can actually take along many of the conveniences that you'd find in a modern house. Step back and look around the campground (or RV Resort) sometime and look at the amazing display of $250,000 plus rigs sitting in the place. Most have diesels and heavy duty transmissions because they are safe and reliable! It's just what many of us asked for! And I'd bet that an 8 to ten year payback for these premium purchases sure helps us to pay for a deisel engine which really makes it all worthwhile, especially with diesel fuel being so much less than regular fuel per mile driven! And deisels will last many miles and many years! Lets see! I take several trips a year that average over 2000 miles per trip. So that means I will have that wonderful diesel for many, many years! Isn't it fortunate that we RVers are able to leverage the same diesel technology that is used by freight companies who travel hundreds of thousands of miles a year! Thanks for taking the time to read my personal opinion.

Tom
2019 Ford F150 2.7 Ecoboost Supercab
2020 Winnebago Minnie 2500FL

jmbusa
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels are: loud, noisy, air polluters, noise polluters, overrated, expensive, expensive to maintain, overkill for most RVers. The only reason they are being sold is because the RV manufacturers tell you you gotta have more stuff in and on your RV when you travel. You gotta have your entire damn house and every toy conceivable to man. Step back and look around the campground (I mean RV Resort)sometime and look at the gaudy display of $250,000 plus rigs sitting in the place. Most must have diesels and industrial transmissions because they are hauling their house and garage! You asked for it! You got it! But I guess an 8 to ten year payback for the premium dollars you have to pay for a deisel engine makes it worth it, especially with diesel fuel being so much less than regular fuel! And deisels will last 400,000 miles or more! Lets see! I take 12 trips a year at an average of 300 miles per trip. So that means I will have that damn diesel for about 110 years! Cmon the only people who really need a diesel are the freight companies who travel thousands of miles a year and the oil rigs!

CHARRAY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to God, my wife, and 0% interest with Ford Motor Credit, I just got back from a trip to Cloudland Canyon,Ga. with my new 06 F250 diesel.I pull a 27 ft. Sprinter 5er. Traded my F250 Light duty with 5.4 gas. The difference in the pulling power of a diesel and a gas is unbelievable. I now have that smile I have read about in this forum. My wife's brother traveled with us, he drives a Chevy 2500 with 6.0 gas. He admits my truck has lots more power but it is alot noiser.
Charles