cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

benbovac
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Diesel has increased 3x as much as gas in the last year. Here in NJ small trucking companies are going out of business almost daily.

not sure why you are so concerned about diesel prices when you don't own one??
BenBovAC
2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW
2019 Jayco NothPoint :

๐Ÿ˜›

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel is now $4.909 this morning at Flying J in Smithton PA I-70 & Exit 49 and reg unl gas is $3.929 today !!

Full_Pull
Explorer
Explorer
I can out pull Any gas truck on the street or the strip.
And get 24 mpg. all day long.
05 CTD Thunder rode, Xtreme Camo,preator/puck combo with quadzilla bost fooler,4.10's Pro-comp Xtreme M/T tires.
Airaid air box Isso gadge pkg,Mbrp exaust. 475 hp@ rear 910tq.
1 wife 2 kids 2 dogs 2 cats.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel is $4.749 this morning at Flying J in Smithton PA I-70 & Exit 49 and reg unl gas is $3.789.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel has increased 3x as much as gas in the last year. Here in NJ small trucking companies are going out of business almost daily.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Circleof5ths wrote:

We had an older PSD and it's mpg was great, around 20. We have the newer diesel (2008 F350) and the mpg sucks. Then again, we didn't buy it for mpg.

I agree, I had a 2000 7.3 PSD and a 2003 6.0 PSD but now the diesel option cost about twice as much and diesel fuel cost much more than reg unl gas. With oil today over $133 a barrel diesel will be over $5 a gallon in many stations . China is using 1,100 giant diesel generators to replace the electric grid in the areas that got hit by the earthquake.

Circleof5ths
Explorer
Explorer
Camping with Cash wrote:
It has been what 20 days since I last posted.
NH gas $3.75
NH Diesel $4.50
Last night we test drove a 06' F-350 PSD. I hit the dumby computer to see what kind of mileage we could get on the test drive. 18 mpg. If that holds true, I would be all about becoming a diesel owner. I couldn't get 18 with my Hemi on the best of days around town. Well, maybe if that Ford was pushing me.
I am in the process of checking mpg with my Hemi. Results next week.
Tomorrow we are looking at a 06' Cummins.

Happy Camping,

We had an older PSD and it's mpg was great, around 20. We have the newer diesel (2008 F350) and the mpg sucks. Then again, we didn't buy it for mpg.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel now $1.80 more than last year here in the central Atlantic region !

colorado_carava
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing I am heading east! Although it is sure to catch me eventually.
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD ECSB Duramax
1994 Dutchman Classic 24'
DH Steve DW Randi
Best boy in the world, Cody:B
The Fleabags, Radish and Sedona
The Mousers, Cactus and Canyon

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

Camping_with_Ca
Explorer
Explorer
It has been what 20 days since I last posted.
NH gas $3.75
NH Diesel $4.50
Last night we test drove a 06' F-350 PSD. I hit the dumby computer to see what kind of mileage we could get on the test drive. 18 mpg. If that holds true, I would be all about becoming a diesel owner. I couldn't get 18 with my Hemi on the best of days around town. Well, maybe if that Ford was pushing me.
I am in the process of checking mpg with my Hemi. Results next week.
Tomorrow we are looking at a 06' Cummins.

Happy Camping,
Jim & Rhonda Titus
Cash, The Brindled Boxer
Bruno, The Flashy Fawn Boxer
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback 28LRLFS 5er
2006 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4 CC 6.0 PSD
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
Tuxbury Pond RV Resort Site #96

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
O.K. I prefer Diesel, so I pull a VW TDI Jetta behind the Cheetah.
Sure hope that the high fuel prices will stimulate greater fuel production!
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

mrjimboalaska
Explorer
Explorer
I figure I save 4 cents a mile driving my Duramax over a gas 3/4 ton.
I can get 25 mph with my 02 crewcab 4x4 (not towing, cruise at 65) $.17 a mile
Brothers F250 gas gets 17mph hwy (he says on a good day) $.21 a mile
figures are comparative when towing as I get 13.5 towing 11k (cruise at 62-65) and he pulls 9.5k and gets 9.5 to 10 mpg...
Oh, and I get 18-19 in town(slow takeoffs and try not to brake, just as if I was pulling)
There are NO gassers that compare....bro's truck does better that his buddies Tundra(pulling 7.3K, which tends to PO his buddy)....
one more note..I've owned my truck for 5 years, I believe both of theirs are 2006, and for what they both paid, I think I got a GREAT DEAL...PLUS, I can still upgrade to a big 5er if I so choose, without needing a new TV...

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel is $1.673 more than a year ago here in the Central Atlantic region !

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
On my way to work today, I noticed that diesel is priced the same as Premium Unleaded at the stations I pass on my way to work...including the CAT scales on Terminal Island.

Unfortunately, the price of diesel didn't seem to drop...rather, the price of gasoline appears to have risen.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s