cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
Well bfast54, you've definitely got me beat then, because there's just no way I can coast uphill pulling a 5'er, except when it's uphill both ways in the snow. Those diesels have something I never accounted for I guess, being lighter than air, or not affected by gravity ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
So, much for PEACE on EARTH :B

Well, having driven a Gasser, pulling my 5er up hills, engine screaming and 7.5 MPG,

Now, with my Cummins" 13-14 MPG, coasting up hills, well you see if it's a no brainer!!!:R

And, doing the math, diesel fuel would have to be twice the price of gass, to make it a wash.

And, I am not counting the price(of the vehicle ) in this one, because you can buy a JUNKYARD full of used vehicles now, at any price !:B

OH, Merry Christmas to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
You've said that before Mike, but you keep coming back (that would indicate you're the most stubborn man I have ever run into). See you in a little while ๐Ÿ˜‰ And really, I'm not sure we're arguing. Seems an argument needs to have more than one side presented. I present information and you dismiss it. That's not much of an argument. You never counter with anything except you've passed many gassers, or talked to them. You're talking to one now, with an experience different than yours, and again, you just dismiss it. So, again, I wouldn't say we're arguing. That's why I've offered you my truck. It also why I'm not taking any of this personally, and would offer to meet you, buy you a cup of coffee and talk. I do think though, based on what I've read here that you're just stuck in your way. You believe what you believe and refuse to accept a different experience, an objective test (as objective as I've read), and refuse to accept the logic behind it. And, ultimately I guess we both think the other is being stubborn. That's ok though. I don't doubt you can run 55mph with your 5'er up a 6% grade and have never said that; however, I'll betcha my truck will do the same thing. You don't have to believe it though, you can be wrong and not know it.

mgratner
Explorer
Explorer
Ace,

You are either the most stubbron man I have ever run into or you are just plain uninformed. I have seen and passed many gassers who were in the truck hill climbing lane doing 30 while we cruised by them at 2 grand doing 55, give or take. I question your road experience. I think it is severly limited since it contradicts what most of the real world sees and believes. Arguing with you is a waste of time since you know more than the rest of the world so as far as I am concerned this thread is closed.

Cigar Mike
2004.5 2500 CTD Dodge Ram Quad Cab Longbed
2005 CF29CK Crossroads Cruiser with all the options

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
And Cigar Mike, my experience with gas and diesel trucks account for nothing, right? But your experience driving a diesel and seeing gas trucks on the road and talking to gasser drivers is gospel? My experience must be theoretical, and your's experiential. You have a clue because you talked to "gasser drivers", whereas I don't have a clue because I currently drive a gas truck and advise others of gas truck performance?

By the way, do you understand why the trucks in the tests performed the way they did (actually did), or do you just wholeheartedly dismiss it as a fluke, or magic? I just wonder why you would dismiss it, but then again, you talked to many gasser drivers...

mgratner
Explorer
Explorer
!/4 mile tracks aren't real life. I do know what I've seen on the road and have talked to many gasser drivers and based on real life, not a bunch of theory you don't have a clue. You can take all your theory and track tests on a 6% grade and plant it.

Cigar Mike

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
mgratner wrote:
Ace,

You don't have a clue.

Cigar Mike

I know, you've said that before, and you're lack of experience with current gas offerings, and refusal to accept other's experiences, or objective testing proves it. Thanks for the update, keep them coming. By the way, the offer is still out there, borrow my truck. Also, a cup of coffee when you come through town is still available when you're on this coast.

mgratner
Explorer
Explorer
Ace,

You don't have a clue.

Cigar Mike

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
TennesseeBob wrote:
RollingRockTX wrote:

What's this thread about?

To see who can post last :B

I think that's the funniest post in this thread! ๐Ÿ™‚

blt2ski
loveshack1 wrote:
TennesseeBob wrote:
RollingRockTX wrote:

Beat ya to it! :W

Maybe it is some wild and whacko way of the mod getting cheap or is that cheep laughs at the way soem folks argue?!?!?!?!?

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

loveshack1
Explorer
Explorer
TennesseeBob wrote:
RollingRockTX wrote:

Beat ya to it! :W
YOU CAN'T SPELL TRAVEL WITHOUT RV

TennesseeBob
Explorer
Explorer
RollingRockTX wrote:

2005 3500 Dodge QC Dually CTD :B
2004 Newmar American Star 32RLKS 3 slides

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Ace! wrote:
bluenote, I don't think I ever said you "stated a big block gas engine is an incapable powerplant for towing heavier RV's". Honestly, I'm not sure what you've said, because most of it wasn't relevant to this thread. It was just whining about how the thread should be closed.
What you have done is attempt to lump me in with those who you truly may have an argument with. Trying to deflect about my requests to end this now useless thread by calling it whining is just another example of your confrontational attitude. I guess if it's that important to you to act foolish, so be it.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
Also blt2ski, I've got even larger than stock tires, so less torque still!

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski,

I mentioned the trans in my last post about multiplication. But really, I'm not stating anything different than you. And, it's not just about first gear, but all gears (although first gets the load moving), because as you pull the load down the road you're using more than just 1st gear, and almost never dropping to first gear during a trip pulling a trailer along most routes, and you're in various RPM ranges as well where power is made; however, my point, again, is that people can't just assume a diesel is going to pull a heavier load, because there is more to the equation. That's why I post the math, so people understand there is more to it. There are different trucks, with different engines, trans, tires, etc.

Blanket statements typically aren't true. I'm trying to point that out. I'm basically saying, "Please note, I am NOT saying a gas is better/worst than a diesel. BUT, we need to look at ALL the factors to decide. Torque, gearing, both trans, and axel ratios, with a tire diam thrown in, payload, spring capacities, etc. Otherwise, IF you go by JUST the power part, you will have a very BAD tow rig. Been there done that!" It seems though a lot of people are trying to still argue about it. My math is there to show how closely matched most rigs are, eventhough a lot of people think of torque based on the "published" numbers. I still think all of the big 3 trucks, when optioned appropriately will pull the same loads to the same places.

bluenote, I don't think I ever said you "stated a big block gas engine is an incapable powerplant for towing heavier RV's". Honestly, I'm not sure what you've said, because most of it wasn't relevant to this thread. It was just whining about how the thread should be closed.

Yeah woodrow, like I said before, you're the winner, and right again. I should take some posting and TQ lessons, some first grade math too. You win again, ok. If you take a long weekend, and I have an extra day to catch up, maybe I'll see you in camp. Obviously I was wrong about my gas truck being able to keep up with "us diesel folks" and I'll have to camp in the "gas only" section, must closer to my own home. Thanks for the posts, and keep them coming!!!