cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

gsxr1300
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry no that was empty i havent pulled the trailer with it yet

Crossroads Sunset trail 29qb
2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 4x4 LB
2010 Crossroads Sunset Trail 29QB
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 Turbo Charged 300+RWHP

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
gsxr1300 wrote:
I drive a 2011 F250 crew cab 4x4 6.7 diesel I know its overkill for my trailer but the ear to ear grin everytime i drive it is worth it!Also 2000 miles on it so far and its averaged 20mpg

You're averaging 20mpg towing? Do tell. What size/weight is your trailer?
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

gsxr1300
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2011 F250 crew cab 4x4 6.7 diesel I know its overkill for my trailer but the ear to ear grin everytime i drive it is worth it!Also 2000 miles on it so far and its averaged 20mpg
2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 4x4 LB
2010 Crossroads Sunset Trail 29QB
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 Turbo Charged 300+RWHP

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
durallymax wrote:
RUFFSTUFF wrote:
durallymax wrote:

I said not as much as YOU think. And also said the newer systems, the refined systems, you drive an 08 thats not the newer systems. The newer systems are fine tuned much better, GM has added a 9th injector now to reduce fuel usage for the active regens of which fewer are required due to the engine being able to run hotter and more efficient thanks to the SCR system cleaning up the high NOX levels created from an engine running in that state.

The LMLs are getting fuel economy similar to LBZs, is that great? Not the best, but way better than the LMMs, and your getting 115ft-lb more torque and 47 more hp (than the LBZ)

Well since I drive a 2010, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as NEWER, though not necessarily NEW. I don't spend much time THINKING about how much fuel I use for regen, I KNOW. Now if you want to give proper credit for reduced NOx levels, then that would be due to the use of the SCR and DEF, which hit the streets in 2010 for MY2011. The DPF is for soot, not the same animal as the SCR and the DPF is responsible for fuel consumption due to regen. Now if you care to share the details of how the DPF systems have been improved since 2008, we would certainly love to hear it. IMO, any fuel used to clean the DPF is wasted. Especially when you consider about 1 regen per tank, highway use.

Time for some mods, and the DPF is history.

You should re read my post. You kind of missed my point. The scr and dpf systems do not interact together but have a cause and effect with engine tuning. 07 emissions trucks were tuned to reduce NOX a side effect of this tuning is more soot due to a more incomplete burn. This causes the DPF to plug up faster. Now with SCR the engines can be tuned for efficiency and power, because the SCR will clean up the excess NOX. More efficient combustion leads to less soot and fewer regens .

Again, just a more explained version of my initial post.

Now that sounds totally reasonable!
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

durallymax
Explorer
Explorer
RUFFSTUFF wrote:
durallymax wrote:

I said not as much as YOU think. And also said the newer systems, the refined systems, you drive an 08 thats not the newer systems. The newer systems are fine tuned much better, GM has added a 9th injector now to reduce fuel usage for the active regens of which fewer are required due to the engine being able to run hotter and more efficient thanks to the SCR system cleaning up the high NOX levels created from an engine running in that state.

The LMLs are getting fuel economy similar to LBZs, is that great? Not the best, but way better than the LMMs, and your getting 115ft-lb more torque and 47 more hp (than the LBZ)

Well since I drive a 2010, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as NEWER, though not necessarily NEW. I don't spend much time THINKING about how much fuel I use for regen, I KNOW. Now if you want to give proper credit for reduced NOx levels, then that would be due to the use of the SCR and DEF, which hit the streets in 2010 for MY2011. The DPF is for soot, not the same animal as the SCR and the DPF is responsible for fuel consumption due to regen. Now if you care to share the details of how the DPF systems have been improved since 2008, we would certainly love to hear it. IMO, any fuel used to clean the DPF is wasted. Especially when you consider about 1 regen per tank, highway use.

You should re read my post. You kind of missed my point. The scr and dpf systems do not interact together but have a cause and effect with engine tuning. 07 emissions trucks were tuned to reduce NOX a side effect of this tuning is more soot due to a more incomplete burn. This causes the DPF to plug up faster. Now with SCR the engines can be tuned for efficiency and power, because the SCR will clean up the excess NOX. More efficient combustion leads to less soot and fewer regens .

Again, just a more explained version of my initial post.

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
I don't live in my trailer (at least not today) so I consider the higher price of fuel and the higher price of the vehicle as part of the pay to play. Sometimes its not about what's the cheapest, its about what works best. I personally enjoy the overhead that a twin-turbo diesel provides and the peace of mind of knowing that I have more truck than trailer and not the other way around. Besides, a gasser with a turbo or supercharger will have to use premium fuel, and the price difference between diesel and premium isn't much, so it's par for the course.

I'll call it the Trailer Paradox. Buy a bigger trailer than you need and pull it with the smallest truck that can... Sorry, not for me...
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I test drove a diesel. Admittedly, much quieter than my 6.0. But various comments about fuel contamination and Ford's refusing to back up the warranty . . . plus all the other objections I listed, plus the additional cost . . . made me decide on gas.

If I was pulling heavy loads all the time in my work or something, it might be different, but I have a pickup only for vacations/trips several times a year.

I was out-and-about this morning, and I note that diesel is now 70 cents higher than gas locally. Don't see how that can be justified when buying a new truck; in the two years I've owned a truck it has never been less than 40 cents higher.

durallymax
Explorer
Explorer
slarsen did you test drive a new diesel? They are much quieter than a 6.0 and sometimes quieter than the 6.2 but at the same time still not justifiable unless you actually need the torque.

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
durallymax wrote:

2014 KZ Inferno 3712T

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Took delivery of a 2012 F250 6.2 gas King Ranch. Traded in a 2006 F250 diesel. It turns heads everywhere I go.

Never had any trouble with the 6.0, but I hated: not being able to get to the only diesel pump because some knucklehead with a SUV was blocking it; the racket in the morning starting up in a campground; needing to shut off the engine when ordering at any drive-thru because they couldn't hear me; the cost of diesel fuel; the smell; the mess around diesel pumps and the probability I'd be smelling it coming off my shoes and hands for hours; the noise going down the highway. I'll probably miss the ability to accelerate up a mountain with a 11K pound 5th wheel behind me, but how often does that happen?

In the meantime, I'm loving the quietness and the lack of diesel complications. And did I mention, the quietness? The additional cost of fuel due to poorer mileage is pretty well offset by the cheaper fuel, and in any case . . . I don't care!

durallymax
Explorer
Explorer
rcpd34 wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Yes they do.

Agreed. They use a stupid amount of fuel.

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Yes they do.

Agreed. They use a stupid amount of fuel.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes they do.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

durallymax
Explorer
Explorer
RUFFSTUFF wrote:
The engineers who came up with the idea of dumping raw diesel into the DPF to clean it should be shot... Right after the engineers who came up with the idea of a DPF... And those right after the politicians who changed the emissions standards...

the newer systems really dont use as much fuel as you think.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
A long post from a thread on Dodge:

Best Model for MPG?
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost