cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Ram4Sam wrote:
Okay gassers, read it and weep......:B

Sam....all in good fun, of course....

Sorry, man. I'm paying $3.29 per gallon gas in Louisiana and I think that's too high.

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
BlackSilver wrote:
SeattleFire wrote:
Go back to the second post overall on this endless thread. $1.55 a gallon for diesel on 06/21/04. That price has nearly TRIPLED in less than eight years. Would love some stats from someone much more educated than myself on the numbers from our current "administration".

FWIW, I fueled up with diesel here in Cheyenne yesterday evening for $3.979/gal. Four years ago, summer of 08 under a different "administration", diesel prices peaked at $4.771/gal.

Has little or nothing to do with politics.

Sorry to spoil your rant.

LOL

In honor of the NBA finals about to start, this is the internet equivalent to getting dunked on. :B
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Crazyfoe
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
BigToe wrote:
M...related to fleet compliance requirements and emmissions regulations for over 14,000 GVW trucks that are being phased in this year and over the next decade.
I can't believe it. California driving itself over the economic cliff again.

Yet the same morons vote this******in...this state is been self destructing for years...sad
04' Chevy Silverado 2500HD 496 cu in - Allison
'06 Keystone Cougar 304BH
1 Honda eu2000i generator
Drawtight Activator
Huskey Weight Distribution System
1 Spazzed Weimaraner

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
M...related to fleet compliance requirements and emmissions regulations for over 14,000 GVW trucks that are being phased in this year and over the next decade.
I can't believe it. California driving itself over the economic cliff again.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the UPS parcel delivery hi cube step vans that I've seen in California recently are all gasoline powered now.

FedEx driver rolled up in a new gasoline powered truck also. Couldn't hear her from down the street anymore. She told me FedEx is switching to gas as well.

My best guess is that the switch is related to fleet compliance requirements and emmissions regulations for over 14,000 GVW trucks that are being phased in this year and over the next decade.

I can confirm that diesel is consistently higher in price per gallon in California than premium 91 Octane gasoline. The Shell Station picture posted a few posts up is undoubtedly real.

Any RV pulling truck in California that can run loaded uphill without ping or knock on regular 87 octane pump gas and get 7 - 8 miles per gallon towing up to it's maximum ratings, is going to give a new modern diesel tasked with the same load a definite run for it's money economically on all cost fronts: initial acquisition, fueling, maintainence, registration, smog testing, and insurance.

I run and maintain diesel and gas trucks simultaneously.

The cheese got moved on us. Again.

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
Topped off the aux tank today, cost me 355.00 dollars for 100 gals should. Get around 2200 miles on a tank full
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
I've done real life tests for myself over many years and vehicles. And the conclusion is, they both work very well within their ratings. Youtube? That's your towing experience?

Sam, Is that pic real? Gas around Tampa Fl is still about 40c cheaper than diesel. I paid $3.449 yesterday for 87 octane. I do miss my '01.5 Cummins though. Every time I see your sig pic.:B

Yes, that is the real deal:( But the Shell brand around here is always higher than most stations, they always seem to be ten cents higher than most stations. Right now, diesel is about ten cents less than regular at most places, diesel has stayed pretty much the same, gasoline has crept up and passed it.

My old Dodge tows pretty well, it is a great tow rig and my daily driver to boot, just about to start the second hundred thousand miles....

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last fillup in my F-350: 702 miles, 34.6 gallons. Yeah, I think I like my 12V Cummins just fine!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I've done real life tests for myself over many years and vehicles. And the conclusion is, they both work very well within their ratings. Youtube? That's your towing experience?

Sam, Is that pic real? Gas around Tampa Fl is still about 40c cheaper than diesel. I paid $3.449 yesterday for 87 octane. I do miss my '01.5 Cummins though. Every time I see your sig pic.:B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Biggziff
Explorer
Explorer
08BowTie wrote:
Everyone is getting way too tachnical on this issue. Just go to YouTube and search for Diesel vs Gas towing. Watch some real life tests and the results speak for themselves...there's just no comparison. It's the whole reason the big 3 have produced diesel engines for so many years. If you're pulling wieght, Diesel is better....every time...period.

This is the internet...your logic is not welcome here! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to move out of Kalifornia.
Current rig:

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
I gassed up yesterday...$3.659 for regular, $4.099 for diesel. This is pretty typical in this area.

I'm jealous.......

Sam

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gassed up yesterday...$3.659 for regular, $4.099 for diesel. This is pretty typical in this area.
Current rig:

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Okay gassers, read it and weep......:B

Sam....all in good fun, of course....

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 F250 is a monster and I love it. Faster than my 370Z except for top speed...
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L