cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

FlySafeFlyFish
Explorer
Explorer
First Post, Hello All,

I have a Diesel 7.3L PSD in my 2000 #-350 and it's great on fuel and has plenty of power. I installed a 4" magnaflow exhaust and wrapped the entire muffler and pipes with the Thermo-tec header Wrap, it made the inside drone sound go away and the van is very quiet inside now. The system is stainless steel so the wrap will not hurt anything. If you have a stainless or even a Galvie system, wrap the entire thing with Thermo-tec and you will be in heaven. Mag-HyTec tranny and rear end covers, sonax valve in the tranny, superchips, and Bilstein shocks are the best for me.

FlySafeFlyFish
Explorer
Explorer
First Post, Hello All,

I have a Diesel 7.3L PSD in my 2000 #-350 and it's great on fuel and has plenty of power. I installed a 4" magnaflow exhaust and wrapped the entire muffler and pipes with the Thermo-tec header Wrap, it made the inside drone sound go away and the van is very quiet inside now. The system is stainless steel so the wrap will not hurt anything. If you have a stainless or even a Galvie system, wrap the entire thing with Thermo-tec and you will be in heaven. Mag-HyTec tranny and rear end covers, sonax valve in the tranny, superchips, and Bilstein shocks are the best for me.

FlySafeFlyFish
Explorer
Explorer
First Post, Hello All,

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
The Dieselpower test of the V10 vs the Powerstroke was pretty disappointing to me. They did not do a side by side test of what is most important to me. MPG towing with each truck would be very interesting. Doing a drag race with the torque converters slipping like mad to launch the trucks is not very useful info IMO.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
The Dieselpower test of the V10 vs the Powerstroke was pretty disappointing to me. They did not do a side by side test of what is most important to me. MPG towing with each truck would be very interesting. Doing a drag race with the torque converters slipping like mad to launch the trucks is not very useful info IMO.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

bigger_e
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
You probably had about half again the fuel capacity that he did. IIRC, many Chevys have a 24 gallon tank.
He has a 25 gal. tank...mine 34...I still got far better mileage than he did.

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Why not?

Bert

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
My diesel is gonna outlive me; a gasser wouldn't. (Unless it knows something I don't.)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably had about half again the fuel capacity that he did. IIRC, many Chevys have a 24 gallon tank.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

bigger_e
Explorer
Explorer
Can't quote you facts or figures but just relate my story.
We just sold our home and bought a fifth wheel and headed south. I purchased a 04 F-350 Dually diesel with 57k miles on it. I was towing my Cedar Creek weighing about 13k loaded.
Traveled with my nieghbor who has a 05 Chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0 L . He was towing a 8k lb Wildcat.
He was looking for a gas station when I was just approaching 1/2 tank.
I was pleased with my trucks performance and my computer says I averaged 9.8 MPG from NY to GA pulling mostly interstates at 65mph to 70 mph over many mountains.

It seemed to pull effortlessly. I'm sold on my diesel, and would be hard pressed to consider a change.

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Simple, but not accurate. You will accelerate harder at your max HP point than at your max torque point. And a high HP/low torque engine can accelerate a vehicle harder than a high torque/low HP engine can.

Bert

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the K.I.S.S. priciple of Diesel vs Gas;
Horsepower determines vehicles top speed,
Torque determines how fast you'll get there.
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the K.I.S.S. priciple of Diesel vs Gas;
Horsepower determines vehicles top speed,
Torque determines how fast you'll get there.
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Found this article directly comparing a Ford v-10 and 6.4 diesel. Seems to fit the topic.

V-10 vs. 6.4 Powerstroke
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

sutak
Explorer
Explorer
kipanddenise wrote:
Just had a chance ti update. Towed 10-5-07 on 20% mix of waste vegetable oil.

16.5 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be testing further with higher blends, and the big test will be when we go to Florida in March.

Congratulations great mileage!!
2001 Chev K3500 dually, LT, CC, 8.1L, Ally 1000
1998 Bigfoot 2500, 10.6