cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
BertP,

It was a JOKE. Take a Valium and it might start to make sense to YOU.

Still LOL!
:B
Boomer
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Short Box 5.9 CTD
2005 Rockwood 8318SS
01 Harley FXDWG2 Limited Edition

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Try reading the rest of this thread, Boomer, and it might start to make sense to you. Everything is explained here.

Bert

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
BertP,

My buddy who tows a 12K fiver is sure glad he has "less power" now with his Dodge CTD than he did with his Ford V10. He's extremely pleased with how having "less power" makes towing his fiver much easier than with his V10. I'm thankful that he convinced me to trade my "more powerful" tricked out hemi for my current "less powerful" CTD. I never new having "less power" could make towing such an enjoyable experience!

More Power...I mean...Less Power to you!

LOL

Boomer
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Short Box 5.9 CTD
2005 Rockwood 8318SS
01 Harley FXDWG2 Limited Edition

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of ways that it can be measured. The most common are measuring the acceleration of a flywheel over time, measuring the electrical power being absorbed by a power sink and by measuring the abount of fluid that can be displaced by an engine. Regardless of how it is done, my point was that your claim that your engine produces more power than Kevin's because it produces 100 lb ft more torque is incorrect. To use an example I have used many times, the engine in the Abhrams tank produces less than half the torque My DMax does. By your argument, that means that my engine produces more power than the tank's. But the tank engine produces 1500 HP which is almost 5 times the power output of my engine. If Kevin's V10 pruduces more HP than your CTD, then it produces more power than your CTD regardless of how much torque is generated by either engine.

Bert

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Explain to me how horsepower is measured.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Torque = HP * 5252 / RPM

Quoting passages from websites that obviously don't know what they are talking about hardly supports your argument. Unless that passage was taken out of context, the person making that statement has no clue about HP or torque. Yes, there are dynos that measure torque and calculate HP. There are also dynos that measure HP and calculate torque. There are other ones that measure heat rise in a fluid and calculate both HP and torque based upon that rise in temperature. To state "understand that nobody on the planet ever actually measures horsepower from a running engine" shows a complete ignorance of mechanical engineering principles in regards to power generation.

Bert

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
I will post a few websites for ya Bert please read and let me know what you find.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html
A quote from this site"Now, it's important to understand that nobody on the planet ever actually measures horsepower from a running engine. What we actually measure (on a dynomometer) is torque, expressed in foot pounds (in the U.S.), and then we *calculate* actual horsepower by converting the twisting force of torque into the work units of horsepower.".

Another site you might want to check http://www.largiader.com/articles/torque.html

I will quote from this site" torque * RPM * constant = hp

87.5 lbf-ft * 60 rev/min * X = 1 hp

X = 1 / (60 * 87.5) = 1/5250

torque * RPM * 1/5250 = hp

hp = (torque * RPM) / 5250 "

Next time please know the facts. There is enough misleading info out there without adding to.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Bert you really need to check facts before spouting off.

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
What you are saying has been shown time and again to be incorrect. Torque is a force. By itself, it means very little. A 1 HP electric motor can produce around the same amount of torque as my DMax just before it stalls but I sincerely doubt that it would make a very good tow engine.

And, no, HP does not have to be calculated. There are many dynos - especially chassis dynos - that measure HP and calculate torque.

Bert

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Torque is the power that turns the wheels. Horsepower is created from a formula using torque and engine rpm. Torque can be measured, horsepower has to be calculated using torque. I will rather tow with a high torque motor vs a high horsepower motor. Check into what I am saying you will find this to be true.

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Because, as has been stated numerous times in this thread and elsewhere TORQUE IS NOT POWER.

Bert

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am getting 20-22 MPG solo and have at least 100 pounds of torque more than the V10. I am confused over how you are so happy with less power and lower MPG. Must be the 5k you saved on the purchase price?

loveshack1
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned both the PSD and now a V-10, I can honestly say that the diesel did have power, especially with a turbo. But now, I'm convinced that the V-10 is the way to go. I actually get 14 mpg solo and 10 mpg when pulling the fiver. The power of the V-10 is awesome, and it probably has a lot to do with the fact that it's coupled to a 5-speed manual transmission.
YOU CAN'T SPELL TRAVEL WITHOUT RV

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Rvndave wrote:
Let me quote here "your works speech for themselfs". Well that statement tells me alot about you. Age has little do with a person once there of adult age. What determines my decision to talk to someone or not is if that person has something worth saying. All I have heard from you is tall tales and ignorance. So we can make our decision not to talk to each other mutual, for different reasons, but at least we can agree on something. Oh, by the way there is something called spell check, you might want to try it out sometime.[/quo

Sorry, can't talk. Mine has both. 425 touque 395 hp.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Let me quote here "your works speech for themselfs". Well that statement tells me alot about you. Age has little do with a person once there of adult age. What determines my decision to talk to someone or not is if that person has something worth saying. All I have heard from you is tall tales and ignorance. So we can make our decision not to talk to each other mutual, for different reasons, but at least we can agree on something. Oh, by the way there is something called spell check, you might want to try it out sometime.