cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dirty roof-what are you guys using to clean?

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is one years old... local dealer just did a free roof inspection as part of there NYS inspection.. just called me and told me that the roof is dirty and that it looks like its parked under tree in summer... wants over $200.00 to clean the roof.. I told him "no thanks" will do myself.... with that said.. I don't really care if the roof is spotless as long as it last as long as possible. I don't want to go up there scrubbing stuff if it can wear the roof down a bit... will just a hose work? or should I also get a sponge type of mop up there? I don't want to get anything rough that will wear the top off....so I can either
A)just hose it off
B)hose it off and gently scrub with a sponge mop
C)spray dicor aftermarket roof cleaner spray and sponge mop and spray with hose...
Im really sorry about these questions. im new to all this and I know a lot of your have years experience. I rather have a dirty roof that last 20 years then a clean roof that last 10-15 years......And I say that because I assume that the more you clean your roof with dicor cleaner or a mop it will wear the roof down some....thank you...
28 REPLIES 28

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I use Dawn twice a year.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Chuck_in_va
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I thought, a tall step ladder and scrub brush with a extension will handle the job.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck in va wrote:
How much weight will the roof hold ? My Windjammer has a ladder on the rear, I thought it was for looks. Will it actually hold someone ?
Some have walk on roofs. Many don't.
Don't guess. If you aren't sure... Don't do it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Chuck_in_va
Explorer
Explorer
How much weight will the roof hold ? My Windjammer has a ladder on the rear, I thought it was for looks. Will it actually hold someone ?

Stpierre142
Explorer
Explorer
Best roof cleaner- stuff works awesome!

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Soap and water is all that is needed. I use "Simple Green" but there are dozens of soap choices that will work just as well. If it's a rubber roof then manufacturers specifically recommend "spic n Span" but it's getting hard to find in many places.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning does help keep the black streaks at bay at least for a little while.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
It is not necessary that it be cleaned. It would be for aesthetics only. The roofing material was developed for commercial and residential flat roofs.
If you choose to clean it do not use any products containing citric acid or petroleum distillates.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on powder spic n span. The only place I have found it is on Amazon.com. Just got a box delivered today in fact.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The powdered Spic N Span is the best IMO if you can still find it. The liquid is readily available but a different formula.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the 60/40 bleach option. I have cleaned the roof with Dawn dishwashing liquid and a soft brush. You DON'T want to scrub the roof. The only reason I even attempt to clean it is to reduce the black streaks that come down the sides.

I asked Thor a few years ago for their advice and they said to use Spic and Span a SOFT brush. No need for any other treatments. Do Not scrub hard if your roof is rubber.

On Edit... After posting this I went outside and made up a mixture of water, bleach, dawn in a two gallon garden sprayer. Went on roof and sprayed. Let it sit then hosed it off. Had a few touch up spots but for the most part came out great. No Brushing, No Touching.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RAIN.
Same as my sticks and bricks house
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I will check my roof a couple of times a year. I do not clean it. It looks fine and since it's out of site I have not felt it necessary to keep it sparkling clean. But I'm sure someone will post here with proof that cleaning it will prolong it's life.

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Clickey

You will get all kinds of advice. I have used a 60/40 water /bleach mix with a tsp. of Dawn dish soap and a garden sprayer for 9 years, on all my TT,s and present MH for 4 years. I just spray it on and hose it off. After it dries, I use a mop saturated with 303. The roof still looks like new on a 12 year old rig.
Full timing it since July 2012