Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in my new Lance

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've had it 2 weeks today.

The fridge didn't work on propane, which cost me a 500 mile, 2 day round trip to the dealer, much of which was in an ice storm.

Should have found the faulty thermocouple in the factory, I reckon.

Dealer fixed that. (They should have found it too.)

Almost none of the doors, catches, latches were properly adjusted. Just thrown together. When I adjusted them, i found many screws loose or worse, stripped out.

The outdoor shower was/is a bad joke. I intend to disable it.

I can deal with all this little stuff, but if what I can see is so poorly done, what about the stuff I can't?

The basic structure?

I lived in a Lance 1010 for the past 10 years, and bought this new 850 because I trusted them.

I hope I haven't made a huge mistake.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.
116 REPLIES 116

DCBarger
Explorer
Explorer
I've read this entire thread and enjoyed it a lot. I've owned 2 Lances; an early 90s 980 that we kept 10 years until it didn't fit the family. After owning a MH for a bunch of years raising kids, DW and I bought a 04 1121. We thought we'd like the slide, but really didn't after living with it for a while. After a few years, we sold it. Both campers served us well but like any toy, needed maintenance to keep up on stuff. I'd have to say the 04 had more problems than the early 90s one did. Had a leak in the fresh water tank and a relay went out in the fridge. I fixed both without much problem. We're now looking for another Lance. I've looked at the other brands and I guess after owning 2, we like the Lance's best...

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I have avoided following this thread because of the high amount of speculation and opinion. I'm now glad I read thru he whole thing as it has been instructive. Not so much instructive as to the good/bad/ugly of a new Lance camper, but instructive as to the human condition. We all base our opinion on our own experience with a touch of hearsay. Most of us try to be the most informed TC buyer we can be, some of that based on others' experience.
I have had my issues with the '98 Lance Lite 165-s, extended cab, but all of those were user caused not mfgr. caused. The way i beat on the poor thing, I'm surprised that everything still works as advertised. Probably the biggest difference in old wooden frame campers' longevity is where it lives. Anywhere around the southwest, including TX, where the warm to hot dry air prevails most of the year, you don't hear many sad stories about dry rot or mold or a soggy OSB. So, it's simple: if you own a wooden frame camper, move to the southwest.
It was funny to read stickbow's poco a poco almost apologetic turnaround after his initial rant.
There is one bottom line that is always applicable: Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware.
The second bottom line is dumb luck.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent 5 days in my new to me 1998 lance 980 11'3 TC. I was so very happy with the rig. I have had two lance short box campers before and was happy with them also. I bought this 980 last fall and went through it. I did have to repair the lower wings on the back. Took out the generator that had something wrong with the voltage regulator. I did not care because I love the storage created and I have honda 3000 mounted on a front hitch on my PU. Anyway this 16 year old rig is in great shape and the quality seems fine. One reason it is in great shape is it was stored inside most of its life.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up our new 1050 2 wks ago in Yakima. I must say that I have been very impressed with the quality so far, (I know time will tell). Everything is working (as it should. I had two issues, one was I noticed that they hadn't put any sealant where the TPO nose connected to the side panels, whats up with this?. I wrote a thrd on the Lance Forum whether the other guys new Lance's were done this way, everyone replied that they were!. Lance went up about 2" on this vertical seam then quit. Anyway I could not see any reason not to seal both sides of this moulding so I sealed it!
The other issue was on the wood panel under the stove, they put a seam down about a 1/3rd of the way down & then cover it with a sticky wood grained tape, the dealer said that this was probably because when they install a convection over it comes down to this joint. So they have to only make one panel for all, whatever, I think it is BS to do this. Anyway I will live with it.
I looked at a new 1050 about 3 yrs ago, you couldn't give me one at that time, now I own one! But they have really stepped up in my opinion on my 2015, I like the new kitchen counter, the walls & interior roof colors, everything is so well matched I think. And they finally added some cabinets up in the overhead.
I'm pretty fussy, & have looked over the plumbing & wiring that I can see at least & must say that it ALL appears to be neatly run & secured! Like I said 2-3 yrs ago I didn't like the interior colors, sloppy assembly etc, but after looking at several different TC's I think my Lance is at the top or near the top as far as assembly & style goes.
And considering what I paid it was the lowest price compared to AF, & Eagle Cap by far, just couldn't justify spending a whole bunch more for an EC, even though I loved them. I'm really glad I bought a Lance! If it turns out to be a PITA I will post it on this forum & the Lance forum.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 3 year old Lance camper and saved 50% compared to the price of a new one and the original owner had to resolve any of the problems as mentioned by the OP.

All my power boat and sailboats and camper purchases have been of used ones from the original owner. I have never seen the value in buying a new one and having to work through all the problems that often accompany a new one.

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
I look at this discussion as only wanting to know what people don't like and what have they had problems with.

Had I known way back about leaky marker lights back about 2006 and watchout for the rear windows..remove and re-seal the cabover window and between slide window.. before you see signs of trouble I would have saved myself a lot of grief.

I did learn about the genrac gen..a good idea but too complex and loud and NO warranty support without Lance getting involved..what a joke that was..that is why you only see Onan.

changing the regulator would cut down on start times.

and on the dometic fridge..(2002) if you have problems just change the board to a Dinosaur brand..

No I can not learn a thing from this site if everyone says their camper is wonderful. ....
Lets don't get our feelings hurt..we are talking about a man made object...not your wife or first born...be happy!!!!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I need some popcorn.

Bob

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
run100 wrote:
iwon415 wrote:
Lance will never do anything until another company makes it popular. (and profitable)
TimH

This is common in most industries. Smaller companies often lead the way in innovation, because they are not as burdened with overhead and red tape, plus they are more limber to make quick changes. The larger companies can then either adopt ("steal") the new innovation, or buy the company to bring the advancement in-house.

This may be true with some larger than average companies that are, "LAX".....

Good innovative companies do extraordinary things that keep the competition off balance...
I have worked for a couple of them in my life and know what it is all about...

Example, do 20 things and fail at even 19 and you just might be a winner.

Sometimes smoke and mirrors works very well...

With the advent of cad software and bright folks solutions can be astounding.
Just look at what is happening with 3D printing right now.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
iwon415 wrote:
Lance will never do anything until another company makes it popular. (and profitable)
TimH

This is common in most industries. Smaller companies often lead the way in innovation, because they are not as burdened with overhead and red tape, plus they are more limber to make quick changes. The larger companies can then either adopt ("steal") the new innovation, or buy the company to bring the advancement in-house.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that many people like to buy a brand new camper or other RV and be the first time owners but then they are also going to have to expect to also be involved in the shakedown aspect as well.

With a pre-owned RV someone else has had to deal with problems and any defects are easier to spot in a 3-5 year old RV.

I also like saving 50% on a 3-year old camper as compared to buying a new one which was the case with my 2008 Lance camper that I bought in 2011.

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry.

Sleepy rules.

We all know that.

Joe
2013 Lance 850
most of our meat.

iwon415
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
lincolnmatthews wrote:
No they won't install a wrap around dinette in the 1050s. I talked to the Lance Rep a couple of months back, he checked with the factory & they said no way!. Which I thought was unfortunate. Doesn't make much sense to me, but what do I know. The new 1052 or? looks really great but I don't want a camper with 2 slides, (double trouble as far as I'm concerned)

I find this funny....

Back in 1999 we were looking at campers and liked the Lance's. We wanted a dinette style of table.... I contacted Lance... Reply was same as yours... "NO WAY".... Cost them a sale of a camper, we bought a Bigfoot.
Funny, about 3-4 years later they offered it... Now here we go again... end quote.
Jim

and they will never have an aluminum framed camper and they will never have a slideout in a camper. Lance will never do anything until another company makes it popular. (and profitable)

TimH

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and my continued respect for and plumb dumbfounded amazement at you and regarding your project remains secure, Jfet.

You rule. You, sir, rule.

Joe
2013 Lance 850
most of our meat.

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Now that is funny!