cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I add sway bars to my F-150?

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m purchasing a 2016 Ford F-150 this week. It comes with integrated sway control. On my jeep I had the sway bars added to my hitch system. Does this mean that when I use my F-150, I donโ€™t add the sway bars anymore?

This is what the brochure says,

โ€œTrailer Sway Control โ€“ works in conjunction with the AdvanceTracยฎ with RSCยฎ (Roll Stability Controlโ„ข) system to expand the vehicles dynamic stability control capabilities, adding an additional layer of confidence and control while towing a trailerโ€

Iโ€™m pulling a four thousand pound camper. Rockwood HW277
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe
8 REPLIES 8

Tent_camper_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch should have a sway control hookup that will go from your trailer to your hitch. It's always recommended to use these. Heard too many stories of trailers "tipping" in high wind conditions when driving on the freeway. I can tell the difference when ours is not hooked up...just takes a minute.
RV canopies

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your suggestions, as a result I decided to keep using my sway bar with my new truck.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have it already it can't hurt anything. Not really needed for a PUP camper IMO.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your "sway bars" are like this, then go ahead and set them up for the new truck.. This is a "Weight Distribution" setup which puts weight back on the front axle and makes the whole rig tow much better..

If your "sway bar" is a thing that you attach to the little ball on the hitch and to the trailer and then crank down on the handle, you probably don't need it, but it won't hurt anything either..

Both systems help with towing, but once a trailer starts to really "sway", that's when the new F150's "sway control" will kick in and try to stop it. It does not prevent it.. That's what the bolt on and WD setups try to do.

My TT is #5000 soaking wet, but I use the WD setup in the pic because I have over #650 tongue weight and that does sag the rear end a tad.. Put the bars on and it's back to normal height and weight is put back to the front, so it tows just fine.

good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I don't know that you need it for a pop up. When I towed ours I just dropped it on the ball and drove, and it worked fine.
Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I have seen people with small rented "U Haul" utility trailers going down the highway like a dog wagging it's tail.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that you need it for a pop up. When I towed ours I just dropped it on the ball and drove, and it worked fine.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you already have the hitch and the sway bars, why not go ahead and use them. Sway Bar helps prevent sway from starting. Integrated sway helps stop it once it starts. Every item you can add to keep your rig stable, go for it! Especially if you already have it.

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
No - you still need sway bars. All the built in thing does is slow you down if the trailer starts swaying. You want to prevent that from happening.