cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to take my battery home to trickle charge?

sportbob
Explorer
Explorer
I made my first travel trailer purchase and keep it on leased land in Illinois where it will stay all year. It's a 2006 Cherokee with one battery next to the propane by the hitch. I can connect to power while staying at the camper, usually 2-3 days at a time, but need to unplug when I leave. Can I leave the battery in the unplugged trailer for a month or two between visits or do I need to take it home with me and keep it on a trickle charger?
11 REPLIES 11

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Actually if the trailer never moves you probably do not even need a battery.

Maybe, maybe not. Slides and awnings are intended to be powered by the battery but some, my awning & small sofa slide being examples, will extend / retract just fine without a battery and with just the converter providing power to these devices. If the OP's trailer has a slide and / or awning he could try extending / retracting them without his battery connected - if they work then there's no need for a battery at all on his permanently situated trailer. If they don't then he knows he needs a battery and should disconnect it whenever he's not actually using the trailer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Another option for charging may be a solar charger like the one I have from battery tender. I have the 5 watt model, $59 on amazon. I'd think that is marginal for your bigger battery and would suggest at least a 10 watt. The suggestion is null if you worry about theft though. Best of luck in your decision.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
if you are using the trailer with it plugged in, the battery is being charged... its highly unlikely that you are using more amps than your charger/converter puts out, so the battery should already/still be fully charged when you unplug from shore power when getting ready to leave.

this means you dont need to remove the battery and take it with you..
and if you dont get back to the trailer for a few months, just plug it in when you do and the battery will again get topped up WHILE you are using lights and other 12v devices...

if you have Phantom loads that are drianing your battery when you are away from the trailer, install a battery disconnect... or remove one of the battery cables from a battery post. a good fully charged battery, disconnected from the system, should still be holding a decent charge after 8-10 months..
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two choices, unhook that battery or keep the TT plugged in. If I unplug and walk away, the phantom loads will run the battery dead in about 4 of 5 days.

I charge the battery and keep it in the garage all winter.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Option 4 add 200 watts of solar and leave the battery connected. This will keep the computer boards warm and likely moisture free.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
sportbob wrote:
but need to unplug when I leave.

Why ??

IF.....the battery is fully charged AND it is in good health AND you completely disconnect it, it should last a couple of months with no problem.

But it might be better to have it on an automatic battery tender (NOT a cheap trickle charger), especially if the trailer will be sitting out in the direct sun where it is HOT. Heat kills batteries.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

sportbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the reply. I think I'll go with option 3. Not a bad idea to move the battery inside the trailer to keep is safe from theft as well. I appreciate you help!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is only for a month or two, just disconnect the ground from the battery each time you leave.
If not there is some small parasitic draw from the battery and you could end up with it dead.
Much longer than that and I would bring it home and put it on a charger every couple of weeks

jack L
Jack & Nanci

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Trailer will discharge the battery flat dead in a week or so if you just leave it.
If you disconnect a battery cable it will sit just fine for 2 to 4 months.
If concerned about security you could place the battery in the trailer while you are away or just bring it home.

If you have sun on the trailer 100 watts of solar on the roof should keep you charged indefinitely.

On edit:
Actually if the trailer never moves you probably do not even need a battery.

sportbob
Explorer
Explorer
No, I cannot keep anything plugged in while away. I would need to haul the battery back and forth from home with me to trickle charge it. No one will be watching it while away. Thanks for the reply.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
can you leave the trickle charger on while you are gone from the site. with out knowing what converter you have in the TT, since some of the old ones will over charge your battery ad dry it out. is there anyone around that is keeping an eye onthe TT? if so you can leave the trickle charger on and it should maintain it while you are gone