cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you RV to a single location or see the sights?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be it tent, pop-up or TT, my wife and I have always been park it and go campers. We park and unhook then see the sights, then pull to the next place. Sometimes we take the TT and parked it in the Visitorโ€™s Center's lot while we hike the trails etc. before moving on to our next campsite.

We just returned from a trip to the Everglades:
โ€ข 27 day on the road.
โ€ข 4600 miles
โ€ข 16 camp sites
โ€ข 26 National Park Stamps

We enjoyed every minute of it. But I did notice that at many of the campgrounds the RVs were there for several weeks or more. They came to fish or golf or just get way.

So I was curious as to how many spend their vacation seeing the sights and how many prefer stay put and enjoy a particular area.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
32 REPLIES 32

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
We have a "resort membership" so we spend most of our weekends there but once or twice a year we venture off to other locations. Membership includes 13 days on a site (no fee), 5 days off rotation or I can buy my "off week". I figure if I use it 10 days a year I covered my maintenance fees.

We find we enjoy our CG friends from the "resort", they are like an extended family but then again it's fun to just pick somewhere new on the map and head out for a week or two.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both?

For about 1/4 of its camping nights, 3/4 of its miles traveled, my wife and I uses our C as a touring vehicle, at most two nights in any one place. Not even park and unhook to see the sights, we saw them all from the C. A small motorhome works well that way, so long as you are not towing, which reduces mobility. These road trips were 2000 to 5000 miles, one to three weeks.

3/4 of our camping nights, however, went into club outings of 3-5 nights at one of several places 20 to 150 miles from home.

Since my wife's death, I've use my motorhome as the cabin at the lake. I'll take it to one of two local campgrounds (16 and 25 miles from home) and set up for three days to a week. I'll tow a car or truck out on these trips, so I have something to get around in, get back to town to take care of business, but I'm out at the lake for each night, no distractions like TV, mobile phone service, Internet. Just me, the night critters, and my fellow campers.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
I enjoy kicking it back and enjoying a good book while camping or having a beverage of choice with a steak on the grill.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We usually park long enough to see the local sights, 1-4 nights then move on. We have a toad that allows us to sight see in a fairly large area. Often we will get a campsite for 2 nights and then extend our stay if we find out there are more things to see than we originally thought.

Since we joined a Good Sam Chapter, we attend some of their campouts and play camper instead of sightseer, then often we will continue on from there to do some sightseeing.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We only go to places just to sit in the early spring, winter and late fall. The rest of the time we go to places that have something to do. We don't like sitting around when the weather is nice out. Summers are too short here for doing nothing. We have all winter for that.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have spent our lifetime camping in one form or another and now that we are in our golden years, we find that we enjoy just being together and not moving around a lot.

However, we are owners of an rv lot on the Oregon coast where the temps rarely get above 70 and use that lot to park our mh on for the entire summer. We do occasionally take day trip in the toad to see some special event within a hundred miles or so, and usually once or twice during the summer we will pack up the mh and go someplace we haven't been and spend a week.

But enjoying that fabulous weather on the coast is what we live for now! BBQing ribs on our outdoor kitchen, strolling on the beach (about 100 yds away), visiting our rv friends, and friends/relatives visiting us. Life is good.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I never used to spend much time in any one place, but kept driving and towing to see the sights. Lately I like to spend a few days in a spot, walk the nearby trails, read a book at the campsite, ride my bike around the CG, or unhook to see something an hour away and then return to the campsite.

It's worthwhile to slow down and notice the small things, and enjoy them. Like the forest smells. The patch of wild berries. The feel of the breeze and the sound it makes in the pines. The... OW!...durn mosquito....
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see it one or the other. We tend to go to a specific site/park either because we've been there before and like it, or to see what's around. Sometimes it's fun just to find out what there is to do after you get there. Since we go to mostly State Parks in PA within 4 hours, most of our time is spent seeing what makes a particular park tick, it's history and surrounding area. When we went out west, we had an agenda packed full of places to see and/or stay. Some we did with the trailer attached, Devil's Tower, Painted Dessert, Badlands. Other's we dropped it and spent several days touring the area. We mix it up on every trip. At Mesa Verde, we dragged the trailer to the park and dropped it at the bottom, toured the site all day, then hitched up in the evening and moved on.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
With a young family, we use ours as a traveling hotel. In and out, trying to see and do as much as possible. We do maybe one holiday weekend a year as a camping (stay vacation) , usually close to the beach, and just hang out.

We will hopefully have many years in the future to relax and just enjoy the doing nothing and taking in the surroundings.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
If it is someplace we have not been we usually allow one or two days to site see. Many times we just sit and never leave the CG. We do stay a lot in state parks and take advantage of whatever they may have to offer. Not to sound cheep, but there is so much that can be done that does not cost a small fortune. National parks and historic sites are usually inexpensive and you can really learn a lot.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Goodpete
Explorer
Explorer
We look around the area and visit different places, but we are perfectly content to relax and enjoy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Both. But the older we get, we vegetate in one spot more and more. When you reach a certain age, you don't have the "need" to run, run, run any more. You've seen it all before at some point in time or another, and it's nice just to watch a camp fire, and play with the dog.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
We park and stay and use the Rhino to get around. We pick up garbage for the Forest Service and they usual don't bother us on time limits.

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Weekend trips we park and dont ever turn the truck back on until its time to go home. Two week vacation to the Smokey's or Hunting Island we may run around for three or four of the 14 days. The rest is spent relaxing. Vacation to us means being lazy and getting away from the everyday hustle and bustle we have back home with the family. We may eat out a couple more nights than that, but we even cook at the camper.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
When we were working with a regular house: We spent just about every other weekend, for over thirty years, camping locally in various units from tents to travel trailers.

Our one or two week vacations were spent at a destination, like the Smokey Mountains.

Now that we area retired, we full time, live, and travel in our RV.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006