cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge - Diesel or gas?

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Already know my new truck will be a 2014 Dodge SRW Crew Cab 4x4 with auto tranny. What I don't know is if I should go with the new 6.4 or diesel. Worked outthe numbers and the cost for my use of 15k miles/year with 50% TC duty, 25% DD, and 25% errands is only a few hundred difference a year.

So it comes down to the other advantage to decide.

Diesel - all the power and torque could need and then some.

Gas
-no cool down time (important due to lots of stops for sightseeing)
-less weight on the same axles/brakes equals better braking (best I can find, the 6.4 will use the same axles as the diesel)
-less to worry about (no DEF, turbo, etc)

My previous truck was a 92 F350 w/460 auto which I used to pull a 7,000# TT including a trip to Yellowstone and Arches. Never had an issue with power on that truck. So am familiar and comfortable with reving the engine for the power.

Which would you choose and why?
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
96 REPLIES 96

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Something to think about. How many front engine Motor Homes do you see with a diesel engines? They go the same places as the ones with pick-ups and trailers.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
JacintoKid wrote:
rooney77 wrote:
I don't get the whole warm up cool down thing. By the time I've pulled into the campsite no cool down is needed and it's got a grid heater to warm it up. I crank and go and kill it when I get there. I get aggravated by people that leave their junk idling all the time like that.

I have a neighbor who used to wake up the whole neighborhood idling his 01' 24 valve Cummins. I had the exact same truck and informed him that the engine wouldn't start to warm until he started driving and got the RPM's up. He didn't listen but thankfully, he sold the truck last year. I guess some folks love watching money exit the tailpipe.
And I have a neighbor who has a hemi and I can hear him coming a quarter of a mile away. Makes more noise than my 10 year old Cummins.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JumboJet wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
And how often do you drive into a 30mph headwind when the temp is 105f? If it's one time over the life of the truck, I'll happily save $10k up front to live with 1 day of slow driving.

I live in the southwest part of the country and I drive into 30 mph headwinds quite often. It gets hot in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona where we travel the most.

$10,000 is not much for me when I compare it with what I was trying to do with a gas equipped truck before I bought my first diesel in 1999.

I might buy the wind arguement but for the vast majority of people (even those in the west), it's not a daily or even monthly event to tow heavy into a 30mph headwind.

As far as heat, a gas engine is no more likely to die from the heat than a diesel assuming both are functioning properly and are within the appropriate tow ratings.

I think where you see gas vehicles on the side of the road is when they are towing overwieght which is more common with gas engines. Not thru any fault of the engine but if it's rated for 7,000lb towing and you drag a 10,000lb trailer around, you exceding the design standards.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
In AZ we get temps over 120 degrees and we also have some serious hills. For those who aren't going to be using the truck for pulling a lot, save your money since a good gasoline engine will work. It just doesn't work as well. If you're going to be doing a lot of heavy towing, pay the difference because it will pay off in the long run. There is no wrong answer. Buy what you like. People were pulling most RVs with gasoline engines until a couple decades ago. They worked, even though they weren't as good as what is available today.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You get high winds and high temps frequently in the summer in the West.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
And how often do you drive into a 30mph headwind when the temp is 105f? If it's one time over the life of the truck, I'll happily save $10k up front to live with 1 day of slow driving.

I live in the southwest part of the country and I drive into 30 mph headwinds quite often. It gets hot in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona where we travel the most.

$10,000 is not much for me when I compare it with what I was trying to do with a gas equipped truck before I bought my first diesel in 1999.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JumboJet wrote:
Redsky wrote:
There are emotional reasons for buying a diesel pickup as there are for having a Hummer or having a truck lifted and putting on 35 inch tires and that is OK as it a person's right to be illogical if it is their money they are spending. But trying to make it sound like the smart thing to do is a waste of time and not being entirely honest, both with oneself and with others.

Since my truck is used for duties other than hauling a TC, I guess your post has me covered somewhat.

But, stating that it is not a "smart thing", a "waste of time". and "not being entirely honest" is a little strong.

Load identical models, excepting the engines, with the identical campers and run them side-by-side for thousands of miles up and down the mountains, into 25-30 mph headwinds, etc. and see which delivers the better performance and reliability.

Ask the man I ran into in Clinton, OK while driving into a 30 mph headwind while the temperature was 105F and his new Chevrolet 8.1 gas engine equipped 2500 if he wished he had purchased a diesel equipped pickup.

And how often do you drive into a 30mph headwind when the temp is 105f?

If it's one time over the life of the truck, I'll happily save $10k up front to live with 1 day of slow driving.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Around Pa., we are seeing all the new stations (mostly convenience stores) being built are installing diesel pumps, and many of the older ones are remodeling and adding diesel to their selection. Some actually have every pump with gas and diesel now and it sure makes it easier for diesel owners. Its getting much better than what it used to be.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
JumboJet wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
I also looked at the places that diesel is sold, and it would mean a pretty long wait to fuel up when needing to get to work (usually one pump at most), while finding a gas stall isn't too much of a headache.

Finding diesel in Austin, TX is a difficult chore? I live in NW Arkansas and every station has multiple diesel pumps.

Casey's and Kum & Go's are being built on every corner and they have a minimum of 8 pumps with diesel.

I entered Austin, TX in GasBuddy on my SmartPhone and found 51 stations in Austin with diesel fuel. Those are the ones being reported so there would be more.

How many gas stations does it show? Around where I live id guess maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the stations sell diesel and most of those only have 1 pump with it. Still not a big issue, though.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I also looked at the places that diesel is sold, and it would mean a pretty long wait to fuel up when needing to get to work (usually one pump at most), while finding a gas stall isn't too much of a headache.

Finding diesel in Austin, TX is a difficult chore? I live in NW Arkansas and every station has multiple diesel pumps.

Casey's and Kum & Go's are being built on every corner and they have a minimum of 8 pumps with diesel.

I entered Austin, TX in GasBuddy on my SmartPhone and found 51 stations in Austin with diesel fuel. Those are the ones being reported so there would be more.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is some good stuff in this thread. I've also been debating between diesel and gas myself for my next truck.

I decided to see about a gasser because this truck will be my daily driver. I also looked at the places that diesel is sold, and it would mean a pretty long wait to fuel up when needing to get to work (usually one pump at most), while finding a gas stall isn't too much of a headache. In stop and go Austin traffic which will be where the truck spends morning/afternoon commutes, engine size isn't as big an issue.

However, if this truck were just for the TC, I'd be thinking about the purchase completely differently, just because turbo diesels lose very little horsepower when climbing in the mountains.

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
unsubscribing....this has gotten annoying dribble.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
Redsky wrote:
There are emotional reasons for buying a diesel pickup as there are for having a Hummer or having a truck lifted and putting on 35 inch tires and that is OK as it a person's right to be illogical if it is their money they are spending. But trying to make it sound like the smart thing to do is a waste of time and not being entirely honest, both with oneself and with others.

Since my truck is used for duties other than hauling a TC, I guess your post has me covered somewhat.

But, stating that it is not a "smart thing", a "waste of time". and "not being entirely honest" is a little strong.

Load identical models, excepting the engines, with the identical campers and run them side-by-side for thousands of miles up and down the mountains, into 25-30 mph headwinds, etc. and see which delivers the better performance and reliability.

Ask the man I ran into in Clinton, OK while driving into a 30 mph headwind while the temperature was 105F and his new Chevrolet 8.1 gas engine equipped 2500 if he wished he had purchased a diesel equipped pickup.

There is no sense in arguing with some folks. They will try to convince you that the gasoline engine is better for hauling large loads, and that is why the majority of semi trucks use gasoline engines. If they are happy, leave them alone and let them be happy in their world.

Remember the old saying, "they will drag you down the their level and beat you with experience".

I suggest everyone buy what you are happy with.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
Redsky wrote:

I agree with you. In every instance excluding commuting, I think diesel takes it hands down. I've owned several Fords and Dodges of various motor configurations. I'll never buy another gasser. Anytime a truck has a load, the diesel will outperform. The truck doesn't care if that load is on a trailer or in the bed. The effect on the motor is the same. And a diesel will overcome that effect more efficiently more often. Period.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU