cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does this sound legit?

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I received s call yesterday from a lady saying that my name had been given to them as a preferred customer of Camping World and that we were invited for a free 4 day 3 night stay at a campground in Branson that they had recently purchased. She also said we would receive a $100 gift certificate to CW and also 25 free nights at various other campgrounds in different locations. I asked her what the catch was and she said there was no catch. She said that they were looking for good old fashioned word of mouth advertising and that the only thing we would have to do is ride around on a golf cart so we could be shown this 70 acre RV Park. I took her name and number and said I would get back in touch with her. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from CW so I'm assuming my info came from my GS membership.
28 REPLIES 28

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I have no issue with things like this. then again im stubborn and not afraid to offend. also I can sell a fridge to an eskimo so there tricks don't usually get me
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
I signed up for one of these last year. They put us in one of the worst campsites, when I asked if we could switch sites, they acknowledged that the nice sites were for members only.

Sat through a 90 minute spiel where the first third was all smiles, the middle third was all business, and the last third he left his desk, turned down the radio and I suspect was listening to any discussion we had among ourselves from a mike somewhere.

We were not interested. He came back not smiling and told us that we were not getting some of the other perks mentioned in the brochure.

Campsite facilities were not in great shape, in the process of being very slowly renovated, dependent upon capital from new memberships. It was going to take years to get it looking good.

coachjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Crambo wrote:
SprinklerMan wrote:
The wife and i went to one of those timeshare ,high pressure sales once . But we brought a 6 month old . A screaming baby shuts down a salesman real quick .

If we decide to go our two year old will be with us. I will let him negotiate with the salesperson lol.

I did this at the campground in Branson, It was Compton Ridge, only when I went it was just bought by the camping world. You want to talk high pressure sales!! I told him upfront that when I made the reservation I was not told that we had to d a 3 hour sales pitch and I was not buying anything! Still tried for over 2 hours to convince me to spend $10,000 for a membership, with a $1,000 annual maintenance fee. I ran from him and he was PO'd that I didnt buy in.
Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2012 Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban 4 wheel drive.

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
The wife and i went to one of those timeshare ,high pressure sales once . But we brought a 6 month old . A screaming baby shuts down a salesman real quick .

If we decide to go our two year old will be with us. I will let him negotiate with the salesperson lol.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look into the CG network/organization. Go look at them on your own. Don't buy a membership for thousands of $$. Look on CL or one of the resale sites and get a membership for a small fraction of what a new one would cost.

If you do go to one of their CGs, talk to a few members and see what their opinion is. Do your due diligence online as well and find out what all the options are for a membership as they may very well not tell you everything. Don't pay their asking price - negotiate.

We paid around $4K for a membership in an CG network in Wa. 4 years ago. We're selling it now because we bought a TT membership and no longer need it and are selling it for under $1K. We bought the TT membership for a fraction of the new cost. If you shop wisely, you can save a ton of money by not buying a brand new membership. Their initial sales presentations are like going to a used car dealer...

A CG membership can pay for itself many times over if you camp a lot.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
MudChucker wrote:
Stay away....these places are relentless with their sales methods. The phone calls and general harassment begins on your first day.

Nothing is free, no company in business to make money does anything for free.

I had several offers over time, promising anything from steaks, TV's Grills, etc. and free camping.. It is not worth the trouble listening to a high pressure sales pitch and as stated you are also required to pay an annual fee too and unless you intend to use it regularly it is not worth the money..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, I might decide to take them up on the freebies. I'm a hard person to sell stuff to so I will just tell them up front I'm not buying ****. My wife doesn't even like to be around me when I'm buying something because I give them what for when they start trying their tactics.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...spent 5 more days there as planned seeing the sites....

Must have been a huge campground if it took a whole five days to see the "sites". :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, go and enjoy yourself. Those time share pitches can be high pressure one on one sometimes. No one says you have to buy. We got to see so many shows for free and discounted price in Branson after unknowingly told the time share pitch after picking all our shows out for a months stay at a booth in Walmart. We spent 3 hours, high pressure sales tour. In the end, No Thanks. Sure enjoyed those shows!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
High pressure sales pitch is exactly right. We sat on 2 of these types of things years back, one near Orlando for $50 or free Disney tickets, and the other a free weekend at a water park. Both turned into small night mares. Never again. Simple as that.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
We took up a time share campground on their offer for free nights. When we filled out the information card, we said (falsely) we were both unemployed and only had a source of income totaling $10k a year. I think they realized up front we couldn't afford the time share so they wished us a happy stay and left us alone.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
We have done a couple of these. As stated before it is good way to have a low cost stay. I just made it clear up front to the salesperson that I would not be buying and he might as well save his breath. He showed us around and then we had to talk to his boss and tell them the same thing. The boss acted offended because I was not listening to his high pressure sales pitch. When they determined that I was not buying the meeting ended,still took about an hour and a half.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a RV membership club. Thousand Trails is a big one. Good deal if you use it more than less.:)