cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic refigerator not cold in hot weather

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
My dometic frig runs fine in cool/cold weather but when temps get up there is just stays cool. I moved the thermistor sensor inside and exposed more of it to the air but still not great at getting things cold inside especially the freezer.. Any ideas?? I heard an fan helps??
13 REPLIES 13

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
JCR-1 wrote:
My dometic frig runs fine in cool/cold weather but when temps get up there is just stays cool. I moved the thermistor sensor inside and exposed more of it to the air but still not great at getting things cold inside especially the freezer.. Any ideas?? I heard an fan helps??

Couple of things.....

First:
The tip (just the tip) of thermistor should protrude from top of clip.
Thermistor senses the FIN temp......not air temp
So slide that thermistor back down into clip

Second:
Moving the thermistor *Up/Cooler----Down/Less Cooler*
That will have a minor overall affect on food compartment temp (4-6*F) and ONLY if your model of Dometic does NOT have an adjustable temp control on upper panel (Auto Temp)

Thirdly:
RV fridges that follow ambient air temps (get substantially warmer) have ventilation issues.
Majority of those issues are due to RV MFG. NOT following Fidge Mfg. installation instructions that define clearances/baffles/lack of dead air space etc for proper draft.

Fans in outside compartment can help.
Baffles......tight clearances etc can help
BUT if RV MFG. had just followed the instructions to begin with most 'lack of cooling issues' wouldn't exist
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've found that running on gas is best (for me) for keeping the fridge cold and it seems to recover faster after opening the door multiple times.. I do keep my beer in the fridge, so it gets opened often.. 🙂

I will also run the air conditioner, keeping the inside cooler and that helps a lot too.

I was in Eastern Wa recently and it was in the mid-upper 90's and my fridge would hold 38* even with my beer runs.. 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
You fridge will run colder on propane than electric.
Moving air up and out through the chimney works well also
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dadmomh wrote:
Do you tend to load the frig more fully in the summer months? I found that was a huge mistake.
x2, yes, air circulation is especially important in our fridges.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Do you tend to load the frig more fully in the summer months? I found that was a huge mistake. I tried to take food for more days than I should have to avoid Wally stops. Wrong idea. Leave good air circulation and maybe that will help.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is refer on the sun side? That makes a big difference too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, we added a fan on the outside, venting out of the fridge vent cover, and it's made a world of difference in both of our little campers.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine from this outfit...very helpful guy if you have install trouble or questions. He has kits for inside the frig and for outside.
He also lists on ebay

Poke around here......RV Cooling Fans
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fans can make a big difference , if you don,t have exhaust fans on the outside ,get some and install. that heat in the back needs to go, I can turn my frig into a freezer in 12hrs.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
What is the name of the kit on ebay.. ? Appreciate the info

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
kohai
You drive with your frig on!!! (so do we)
You do realize that we are risking the lives of our families and the lives of everyone else on the road...:B
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Is it in a slide? If so you need to check if the vent fan in the back is functional. Many add additional cooling fans as all of the absorption refrigerators have this problem in hot weather.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:

Fans do help. You can get battery powered ones or there are mods on ebay that let you add a fan and tap into the 12v of the fridge.

I actually use both just because I already had a battery fan when I added the mod. I also keep a bottle or two of frozen water in the fridge as well and I drive with the fridge on (let's avoid that debate, it has been done to death).

I hear altitude also effects a propane fridge and being level can too. Overfilling a fridge can also cause cooling challenges.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali