cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door lock question.

Ruthless
Explorer
Explorer
Has this ever happened to you? Today I left the campsite to get supplies. When I got back, I tried to unlock my door, but the lock didn't unlock. At first, it made me think that I hadn't locked the door. I turned the key back to the locked position, and tried to unlock the lock. Obviously, the door wouldn't open, because the lock was locked. Then, I turned the key back to the unlocked position, and the lock unlocked this time.
7 REPLIES 7

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
Ours started acting up like this. Got progressively worse. We finally just replaced it when we were home one weekend. We were afraid that it would go sometime where we would not be able to get in or get it locked, and there would be no place to get a replacement. It was worth the peace of mind
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer

Ruthless
Explorer
Explorer
QFamCA wrote:
I've had the same issue at random times. My trailer is brand new but like I'm finding that really doesn't make a difference. Haven't figured out the common dominanator of when it occurs.

Did you have the issue with your door handle lock or your deadbolt lock? My issue occurred on my door handle lock.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
It took awhile, but Fastec sent me parts. http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/ Easy fix.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If your lock is a Trimark run don't walk to get a new lock.

Because that is the first symptom that the pot metal they use in the lock mechanism is cracked and it WILL break and you will be locked out or locked in for that matter.

Replacement lock isn't cheap but I ended up paying over $500.00 to get back into my RV while on the road. And almost all locksmiths hang up on you when you say the word RV lock.

Do a search there were plenty of threads about it.

AND

The replacement ones have the same damn pot metal inside them. :R
They have come out with some sort of replacement for the pot metal but the locks on the shelf are STILL pot metal.

I know I had to replace the replacement.:M
I got so made I took the replacement lock apart which is by no means easy or meant to come apart and removed the whole second lock, taped the hole for it and taped the opening in the door. I now just have the deadbolt working.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
Several years ago Fastec had a recall on the door locks. Certain key numbers were affected. Call them or go on their web site to get information of this recall. The number I have is if one has a problem replacing the cylinders, but they might be able to assit...800-837-2505. Be sure to have the key numbers available to your door.

Good luck with this! I filled out all of the required forms, called and spoke with them a couple times and never received my parts to fix the recall issue.

I eventually had to buy new lock sets.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several years ago Fastec had a recall on the door locks. Certain key numbers were affected. Call them or go on their web site to get information of this recall. The number I have is if one has a problem replacing the cylinders, but they might be able to assit...800-837-2505. Be sure to have the key numbers available to your door.

QFamCA
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the same issue at random times. My trailer is brand new but like I'm finding that really doesn't make a difference. Haven't figured out the common dominanator of when it occurs.
2015 Coleman Expedition LT CTS15BH
2017 Chevy Colorado LT V6 3.6L