cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual AC option on 27 foot trailer?

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite travel trailer ever is a 27 foot Sunset Trail trailer from Crossroads RV (30 foot tongue-to-bumper, but 27 foot usable floor) and this unit come standard with a single 15,000 BTU. But as an option you can get a second 13,500 BTU A/C (I don't know why they are different sizes, but who cares...). BUT, when you choose the 2nd air conditioning option, it comes with a forced upgrade to a 50A service instead of the basic 30A service! Moreover, what we observed yet, is local dealers tend to order this options for stock's units, but not all of them as well.

A 50A service sound like a complete deal breaker for me because it drastically reduces the range of options on campsites especially for a pretty small trailer of 27 foot.

Just wanted to have your quick opinion, mostly regarding the need of two AC for that size of trailer versus the fact of having a 50A service, because we saw a lot of 33-35 foot trailer with a 30A service...
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
20 REPLIES 20

WE3ZS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see it as a deal breaker at all, as fla-gypsy pointed out in the first reply a simple 50x30 amp dogbone adapter will allow you to plug into any 30 amp campground outlet. While using the 30 amp outlet you will be limited to only using one of the AC units.
I don't know why a trailer that size (27') would need a second AC unit, our 40' TT has 2 units (15k/13.5k BTU) with the 15 ducted running it has been enough so far but we haven't been down South in the extreme heat yet either. We have camped in both 30 and 50 amp sites and just use the dogbone when needed where there is no 50 amp outlet.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would probably pass unless you are close to full time in the hot and/or humid areas down south.

Generally 15k should be fine with 27'

No harm in using 30/50 adapter and just the one AC as needed.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Our Rockwood 2604 - really 26'4" box and 30'B2B - came with a 15,000 and even here in TN and traveling through TX, NM, OK and others, we found it was perfectly comfortable. Agree that the 50 AMP would be a deal breaker....too many places you might like to visit and not available. I would go with the single 15K.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
vlopddap wrote:
Our favorite travel trailer ever is a 27 foot Sunset Trail trailer from Crossroads RV (30 foot tongue-to-bumper, but 27 foot usable floor) and this unit come standard with a single 15,000 BTU. But as an option you can get a second 13,500 BTU A/C (I don't know why they are different sizes, but who cares...).

With any rig with dual A/Cs it's not unusual at all that one would be 15K and the other 13.5K but regardless, dual A/Cs demand 50 amp service as 30 amp just isn't sufficient. JMO, but having owned a 24' trailer equipped with a single 13.5K A/C that could freeze us out even under extreme conditions I don't see the need for anything more than a single 15K unit in a trailer just 27' long, and as you say you'll have a much greater choice of 30 amp sites than you will 50 amp sites. I know what my choice would be. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you're planning on parking in direct sunshine in the southern part of the continent I July - August, I would think the 15,000 btu AC would be adequate. We mostly stay at state parks that have shade and our single AC does a decent job keeping our 15 year old my cool.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
50A service is generally required to power 2 AC units simultaneously, thus the required upgrade. I don't see why you would need 2 units on a trailer that small though. The addition of a 50Ax30A adapter makes any campsite usable. I use the 50A plug any time it is available for my 30A TT. They tend to be in better condition than the 30A plugs.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)