cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual Axle Leveling Question

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
The space between the TT tires will accommodate one leveling block but if the side to side difference is more extreme I can't place two side by side with a third on top to build a ramp to level both wheels. Trying to roll up on two stacked on top of each other just pushes the block forward. I was thinking of having a 1x8 board cut to length and somehow attaching at least one leveling block (and maybe a half of one) to it to keep it from slipping off... don't know if this would work, not sure how to attach it firmly without risking a tire puncture should it fail so I'm hoping some of you have already found a creative fix and you'll be kind enough to share.
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"
23 REPLIES 23

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be interesting to see how you guys like the Andersons...problem I see is that once you have the level spot, you need to lock in that position. The itty bitty parking brake on the Suburban is enough to hold the truck but not the truck and trailer, and not enough to hold the trailer at an exact spot on an arc like that long enough for me to get out put the chocks in.

Tiggs, what I would do is approach it in stages with the blocks. Put one block ahead of each wheel and drive up on them. The two block ahead of each wheel, etc. The tire won't go from zero to two blocks but if it goes from zero to one it should go from one to two OK. If you need 3 blocks, be sure to start at a point so you will wind up where you want the TT parked.

I have just enough room between the tires for 2 blocks side by side. I add a 3rd straddling the two if I need 2-high. If I need more I add on to the end of the set and go again.

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
I'm replacing my collection of Lego block-style levelers with these:

Anderson Levelers

I'll post a review after I give 'em a try.

I have these and like them a lot. I still keep a couple pieces of 2x8 just in case I get a site that is more out of level than what these can accommodate.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Tiggs wrote:
I tried that, Gary, and sometimes those durn blocks just don't want to stay put for me.

I use the same approach as Gary suggested, and found that if you have 2 pyramids of three blocks ahead of both wheels, with the appropriate space in between, and if you drive slowly onto the pyramids, the wheel would not push the pyramid but instad would crawl up on it. Did this just a last weekend myself.

Personally I prefer the strong lightweight plastic levelling blocks over wood or the banana shaped levellers contemplated. The only place I'd use wood is under the tongue jack if there is no foot (as on my RV since I use a cone-shaped jack stand to avoid excess jack travel).

But that is just my preference.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I tried that, Gary, and sometimes those durn blocks just don't want to stay put for me.

GranpaKip, outside to outside as in front to back or side to side?
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I was just reading the reviews on Amazon and they are, for the most part, favorable. I tend to camp by myself (with at least 400 pounds of dog) so leveling side to side means I back up, get out, check for level or that the blocks didn't slip off one or both tires, fiddle around trying to get them to stay and then try again. It is my least favorite parts about setting up camp and as smart as the hounds are, they've not figured out I need them to give a yelp when the air bubble is in the center.
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Use a 1" deck board cut longer than outside to outside of the tires and put a row of levelers on top, set to make a ramp. Or use 2 boards.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

graybeardnc
Explorer
Explorer
Tiggs wrote:
The space between the TT tires will accommodate one leveling block but if the side to side difference is more extreme I can't place two side by side with a third on top to build a ramp to level both wheels. Trying to roll up on two stacked on top of each other just pushes the block forward.

Don't try to build your "ramp" between the tires. Leave yourself enough room to pull up (or back up) about 5 feet, then build your ramp either in front of or behind both tires. Then pull up (or back up) four feet to put both wheels on your ramp.
Gary

2014 Coachmen Apex 278RLS
2013 F150 Ecoboost

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
For years, I've been carrying enough 2X8's to level up to three inches. I recently heard about these (Andersen levelers). They appear to do a pretty good job at leveling, they're lighter, and take up less space than the 2X's. I bought two. Haven't used them, yet.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing my collection of Lego block-style levelers with these:

Anderson Levelers

I'll post a review after I give 'em a try.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer