cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumb Question re: outlets

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Are the outlets supposed to work when only the batteries are used for power? The lights all work but none of the outlets. At first I thought it was normal because plugs might be drawing too much from the batteries but the more I think about it the more I am wondering.

Thanks!
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
23 REPLIES 23

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't know the answer, it's not a dumb question.
That's how you learn. At one time none of us knew anything about RV's.
Don't hesitate to ask a question on the forum. ๐Ÿ™‚

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Get a French Press. It makes the best coffee you will ever have

Easy to use and consistent.
RVing since 1995.

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
ol' yeller wrote:
We have a drip coffee maker, a whistling teapot, and an airpot so we can make coffee anytime on the propane stovetop.

I'm going to look into that! Have to have my priorities straight and coffee in the morning is always my first priority!

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We often use a old style percolator to make coffee on the propane stove even when we have full hook up.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mjoseph320 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response ๐Ÿ™‚

So if we stop at a rest area or Wally World for the night I guess I'm out of luck to make coffee in the morning lol

We have a drip coffee maker, a whistling teapot, and an airpot so we can make coffee anytime on the propane stovetop.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
Marie,you are correct in assuming that the 110v outlets are only used when plugged in to shore power, unless you have an inverter unit. The converter unit in most RV's allows for the switching to 12v for lights, and other 12v devices. Hope this helps. By the way, there are no dumb questions. We have all started to learn about these things at some time. Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response ๐Ÿ™‚

So if we stop at a rest area or Wally World for the night I guess I'm out of luck to make coffee in the morning lol

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
120 volt outlets (like in your house) only work when you have an outside source of power, either a generator, or your "shore power" cord is plugged into an outlet in the campground, or at your house.

To have your outlets work when on batteries, you'll need an INVERTER (changes 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC). These devices will EAT battery life, and will only provide power to their rating - a 1000 watt inverter will only provide 1000 watts (think hair dryer), not provide enough power to turn on the microwave, AC, toaster, and the hair dryer.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The lights work off the battery (12 VDC) but the (120 VAC) outlets only work when plugged into shore power or a generator.
Good basic question for all new RVers.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)