cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone decals peeling

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of the lucky ones that got Keystone to send me new decals even though my trailer was out of warranty. They were actually pretty nice about it. I got them last year but never applied them thinking the more I hold out the longer the new ones will look new.

I searched but I cannot find the very helpful thread about how to remove the old residue and apply the new graphics. I just remember it was using a wet method that prevented bubbles.

Any help on finding that thread would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Technologiq
Explorer
Explorer
I use 3M Adhesive Remover to move OEM decals from vehicles and it works great. Works fine on paint and glass.
Jeremy
2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 2810BHS
2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 V10 XLT / Firestone Airbags

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I just redid some of the graphics on my 2005 keystone. I bought a bulk roll of the same color and cut them myself as I applied them. It turned out pretty good… way better than the cracked decals. You NEED the 3m eraser wheel to remove the old graphics. It works great, but doesen’t last long. I used one entire wheel to remove an 8’ by 7” stripe.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
A graphics or sign shop might be able to reproduce the graphics. They might not want to because of copyright, but it never hurts to ask.

I did talk to a sign shop guy once about this very issue and he said that if I could provide a good clear picture and a measurement he could reproduce it. He also said there were various grades of vinyl decals and the cheap grades would only last about a year.

I never did get a price though.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a message out to a buddy that works for an auto graphics shop to get his thoughts on that very thing. Not thinking of wrapping the whole thing but a full Mossy Oak Breakup TT would be AWESOME! Oops, my redneck is showing.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever tried to do a product like an auto wrap on the TT?

Fishwater
Explorer
Explorer
My dealership just used a pressure washer to remove the peeling decal on the front. The outline is still there & I may go over it with a magic eraser but the residue is completely gone.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Park it in the sun and let it heat up. Makes pealing a lot more easy. A hair dryer/heat gun will help but you have to be careful not to over heat. GOO Gone (not sure the exact name but close) will remove the remaining glue. To re-Apply, Dawn and water. Soap down the surface and the decal and position. Use a squeegee and work from center out to remove water and air.
I owned a paint and body shop at one time. Used to do a lot of decals.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
hogcard wrote:
I am one of the lucky ones that got Keystone to send me new decals even though my trailer was out of warranty. They were actually pretty nice about it. I got them last year but never applied them thinking the more I hold out the longer the new ones will look new.

I searched but I cannot find the very helpful thread about how to remove the old residue and apply the new graphics. I just remember it was using a wet method that prevented bubbles.

Any help on finding that thread would be appreciated.

3m has an "eraser wheel" that goes on your drill. You can get at auto stores.

Eraser wheel

Hope that hopes..
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Here are several threads that I have been reading.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26808116/gotomsg/26809039.cfm#26809039

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26599358/gotomsg/26600088.cfm#26600088

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26180496/gotomsg/26180779.cfm#26180779

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
How old is your TT? Ours was purchased last year and the decals are already peeling. We are just out of warranty. I am contemplating just calling a friend that works for a vinyl graphics company to see what it would cost too just put a non-design protective vinyl decal on it instead of replacing with the factory one. I am just wondering if the one from Keystone is lower quality material and he can get me something sturdier.