cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duramax L5P is here

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I can say is, I wish I could afford one of these beauties!!!

Article
69 REPLIES 69

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Most say delete you three. MAYBE, one should think about the how you post."

I will think about it, thanks! I have to say most of my posts are defending my comments.

I will say I get lots of PM's asking for advice so it's two sided for sure.

Thanks again.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
I see the trolls are back..............

.......... "If RAM/CUMMINS/AISIN were not available the Denali would be in my shed. P!

Gotta ask. Do you really believe that? Or expect anyone else to?

I don't know much. But I know 2 things for certain.

You will never buy a hitch that isn't a B&W.

You will never buy a truck that isn't a RAM.

Thanks Marty.

You bet I would buy a GMC, I would also buy a TrailerSaver Air Ride hitch. I came very close to buying a D Max in about 01 or so.

I have this one along side of my shop with over 400K on it. Daughter blew the 6.5.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blt2ski
I'll point out too, ONE of the three mentioned, HAS been banned. There are a few on the moderating team that would not like knowing that they are posting again.....

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
And fish is worse.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

.......... "If RAM/CUMMINS/AISIN were not available the Denali would be in my shed. P!

Gotta ask. Do you really believe that? Or expect anyone else to?

I don't know much. But I know 2 things for certain.

You will never buy a hitch that isn't a B&W.

You will never buy a truck that isn't a RAM.

Thanks Marty.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

MeAgain and myself are far from being "Trolls" and I take offense to you saying so. I think it's justified to discuss why the Twins have such a low towing capacity. If you read my first post "If RAM/CUMMINS/AISIN were not available the Denali would be in my shed. Pretty sad they can't tow more than 23K. Once they get the Allison beefed up they will get over 30K like the other two have done." you will see I was NOT "Trolling".

I was not going to say anything but since you did call out Chris by name I felt I should say something. IMHO not an appropriate thing to do from a Moderator. Never had issue with you in the past as you have always been fair but this LABEL is not justified!

You, Fish and Me Again are the most if not ONLY members I get complaints about, in your round and round arguing, insulting style of posting in threads like this. Most say delete you three. MAYBE, one should think about the how you post.

If you do not like my style right now. fine....some will like it......

Going round and round and round about something will not prove anything.

Based on another post, times up the IKE, all three were with in seconds of ea other. So plenty of power. ALL three are better than the first rigs I bought back in the 80's, and first rig I drove, an 62 IHC travel all with a 120hp 6cyl, three in the tree, emanual steering and brakes.......

Marty

THANK-YOU Marty!!!

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

MeAgain and myself are far from being "Trolls" and I take offense to you saying so. I think it's justified to discuss why the Twins have such a low towing capacity. If you read my first post "If RAM/CUMMINS/AISIN were not available the Denali would be in my shed. Pretty sad they can't tow more than 23K. Once they get the Allison beefed up they will get over 30K like the other two have done." you will see I was NOT "Trolling".

I was not going to say anything but since you did call out Chris by name I felt I should say something. IMHO not an appropriate thing to do from a Moderator. Never had issue with you in the past as you have always been fair but this LABEL is not justified!

You, Fish and Me Again are the most if not ONLY members I get complaints about, in your round and round arguing, insulting style of posting in threads like this. Most say delete you three. MAYBE, one should think about the how you post.

If you do not like my style right now. fine....some will like it......

Going round and round and round about something will not prove anything.

Based on another post, times up the IKE, all three were with in seconds of ea other. So plenty of power. ALL three are better than the first rigs I bought back in the 80's, and first rig I drove, an 62 IHC travel all with a 120hp 6cyl, three in the tree, emanual steering and brakes.......

Marty

blt2ski
Me Again wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Would you prefer alternative facts? Like no Allison has ever failed and none have ever dropped into limp mode with increase power. If we repeat that enough it will become the new truth, right?

I've never said an allison did not have issues. I know of MANY allison trannies of ALL sizes that have blown up etc. I was surprised that my 05 still had the original trans when I sold it at 180K miles. In the past, I have usually gotten half the mileage on an auto vs a clutch in a similar truck doing equal work etc.

At the end of the day, what makes or breaks a rating may or may not be in my or your best interest. Frankly to me my 05 was under geared. I could only go up a 24% grade in first gear at 20K lbs. MY 96 6.5 could do a 30% grade. My navistar with an almight NA 7.3 can do 30K up a 30% grade. The new tow specs only say a min 12% grade. I've gone up drive ways 3-4x steeper than that getting equipment to job sites. That 12% starting is only 1.5x steeper than the steepest freeway grade.

There are a lot of factors as to what makes or breaks a tow rig of any shape or size. HP and torque are not but two of the issues. Axel ratio, tire diam, trans ratios also make or break a rig as to how well it will or will not tow.

Yeah the innards of the above parts too.

I personally only tow a trailer at 2x the gRAWR. So ANY of the current one ton's with a 8-10K RA is only going to get around 20-22K lbs behind them. Otherwise, going down, many times, the tail is moving the dog! going up with the current power specs, no issues. Than again, if you stall out due to too tall of gearing.....all that power does not do one a lot of good if it can not get to the ground.

marty

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
It was also backed by Chevy/GMC which is a lot more than can be said for Ford with their engine troubles.

Well, in the real world here in our snowbird park in Arizona GM did not back the injector issues 100%. They said there were two different types on failures. One they covered under the extended warranty and the other cost fellow snowbirders 4500-5000 out of pocket.

The thing about our 9 winters here is that you get to hear reports from people that are using the three brands to tow in most cases large 5th wheels back and forth from the North and also full timers that past through as they continue to tow year round.

Kind of really where the rubber meets the road of real world towing heavy.

Also the whole 250/2500 vs 35/3500 SRW, would shock and awe the weight police with the number of 250/2500's showing up year after year towing 38-40 heavy 5th wheels. Guy right behind me tows a Landmark with a early extended cab 4x4 short box Duramax. Shows up each year for the upper midwest.

The trend we are seeing in the last two of three years is more and more new RAM trucks as TV.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
JustLabs wrote:
Me Again wrote:
blt2ski wrote:

Would you prefer alternative facts? Like no Allison has ever failed and none have ever dropped into limp mode with increase power. If we repeat that enough it will become the new truth, right?

I'd prefer that some of you clowns didn't have to measure your junk in every thread.

Its amazing and quite entertaining how some like to attack like a pack of rabbid dogs if they think they see competition to their male-ness on the horizon, they run around squirting on trees in a confused frenzied little dog macho demonstration.. All the while never have owned anything else in their narrow minded view of truck ownership.:)
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
As a GM employee, and knowledge of automotive engineering, designing, building, and selling of automotives, there are many variables an automotive company must consider. I could speculate on many reasons why the GM one-ton is what it is. However, I do not want to share what might be a competitive advantage for GM.

I am sure there are others with extensive knowledge of the automobile business, and they know that it is more complex than building cell phones, travel trailers, application software that sends pictures to friends, etc.

You must think of all variables in the process.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
73guna wrote:
Seems to be some misinformation about the all mighty Allison.
The Allison is in no way the weak link to 30k towing or at its limits.

If you guys can give me some info to back up your statements then I'll gladly recant.

GM does not want to enter 30k towing limits at this time because they just dont see the market for it.
Ive heard this stated on videos by GM engineers and Ive read it in text.
I'll see if I can find this info. for you all.

Either they passed the test or they did not. If they did they certainly be posting the higher numbers just like Ford and RAM. Spin, Spin, Spin!!!
For quite some time, GM hasn't seemed to care about holding the highest tow rating crown.
Even back in 2011 (When Rams was paltry) Ford was besting GM by a little. With GMs performance in all of the tests in that era, it is certain that GM could have taken that crown had they desired to... Just as they could have taken the highest advertised HP/TQ crown... But they chose not to. No idea as to why.

No matter. The D/A combo has been the most reliable, and best performing total package since the day it was introduced, and like a fine wine, has improved with age.

"No idea as to why" again it is the limits for the Allison tranny. Add power and clutches slip and limp mode activates. Chris

You totally missed my point.
For several years, Ford raised their ratings just barely above GMs ( at least in some configurations) As little as 100-200#. With ratings in the 22K range, that is inconsequential. GM could have done the same back to Ford, just barely beating them. They ignored it.
GM could have also claimed the power crown by simply rating their motors under a different standard... They were soundly spanking Ford in the towing hill climb tests, so it was pretty obvious that they were putting more power to the ground... Yet Ford was advertising higher numbers... GM ignored this as well.

So now, some are loudly proclaiming that if GM COULD achieve a higher rating, then they would.... But history has not shown that to be true.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
All I can say is, I wish I could afford one of these beauties!!!

Article

WTH stickered north of $70,000 :E:E:E:E
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.