cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

e85 while towing any users?

fordrocks
Explorer
Explorer
I know there is a drop in gas mileage with e85 everyday driving, But if pulling a camper and only getting 10mpg with regular gas. Wouldn't u use e85? Where I live it is .40 cents cheaper. So would u get less then 10mpg if so how bad would it get? It couldn't go under 8 mpg? Im getting my new tt 3-29-13 so haven't had any experience with this. I know my truck gets 15 more hp and 10 more torque which is to consider. I did have a starting problem it started, but took longer. Called dealership to see if they heard of it? Right away said e85 doesn't like cold so I topped off with regular never happened again. So any e85 users while towing? Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

Caddywhompus
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
fordrocks wrote:
I know there is a drop in gas mileage with e85 everyday driving, But if pulling a camper and only getting 10mpg with regular gas. Wouldn't u use e85? Where I live it is .40 cents cheaper. So would u get less then 10mpg if so how bad would it get? It couldn't go under 8 mpg? Im getting my new tt 3-29-13 so haven't had any experience with this. I know my truck gets 15 more hp and 10 more torque which is to consider. I did have a starting problem it started, but took longer. Called dealership to see if they heard of it? Right away said e85 doesn't like cold so I topped off with regular never happened again. So any e85 users while towing? Thanks

You will loose right at 30%. So if you get 10 on gasoline you will get 6.5 to 7 on E85. It won't work out if you want to save $$$.
I see this misinformation ALL the time. True, you lose some mileage, but 30% is not the number.

Last summer, right after I bought our Expedition, we traveled from our home in SE Wisconsin to Door County with it. At the time, this was about 500 miles of mixed Interstate, county road and low speed stop-and-go driving. We averaged 16mpg combined, running regular 87 octane unleaded.

Last weekend I took the same trip with the same truck and tanked up with E-85 because I figured I would never get as close of a comparison again. Same route netted 14.8mpg running a full tank of E-85.

By my math, that is a loss of 7.5%.

And here's the kicker, last summer the temp was around 75-80 degrees, and we ran the AC the entire time. Last week the temp was 15-20 degrees, and we ran the defroster the whole time. Most people will agree that the temperature drop alone could explain 1-2mpg of lost mileage due to the denser cold air needing slightly more fuel to maintain the A:F ratio.

True, there is less energy available in E-85, but an engine managment system capable of utilizing it will alter the injection and spark timing to make the most out of the 100+ octane rating E-85 carries. In other words, the engine will run leaner and spark will stay closer to TDC because pinging will not occur. (On a typical gas engine, knocks and pings will be detected LONG before a human can hear them, causing the spark to come earlier and the fuel mixture to get rich to protect the engine.)

Think about that.

-Jim
  • '11 Ford Expedition XL 5.4L (Primary tow vehicle)
  • '04 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L (Backup tow vehicle
  • '04 Ford Freestar SES 3.9L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '97 Lincoln Mark VIII 32v 4.6L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '95 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L (final Backup)

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check your manual but I think you are supposed to try to keep your mix as close to 100% e85 or 100% gas. Don't do the 50/50 thing.

Honestly, I'd try premium for increased performance/mileage before e85. The eco wakes up on it but not sure about the 5.0.
New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Less energy content means more fuel to go the same distance, or lower fuel economy. The price of E85 would have to be less than 3/4 of E10/regular unleaded to break even, along with the lower driving range. Last I noticed, E85 hovers around 85-90% of RUG.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find that with the weight your pulling and the length of your TT (wind drag, forget about the slopped front) that even punching the gas pedal with E85 it's not going to rocket anywhere. Just getting a few more HP/TQ isn't going to drasticaly change your accelleration factor. I went from a 310 hp-360TQ gasser to 350 hp-800tq diesel and yes I have tons more power but it's not like I can all of a sudden light up the tires when doing 55mph with the trailer in tow. I can go faster up hills/ merge into traffic, etc but I still have to be conservitive with my actions. Theres still other cars out there that determine my actions. I garrantee if you have to punch the gas for any reason and have 7000lbs behind you, E85 gas isn't going be the determing factor for your results. If you can save $$$ then go for it.

fordrocks
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks everyone. You may of new all this, but I didn't. This is my first e85 vehicle and camper. Had truck for about 5, 000 miles only. Haven't even got the camper yet. I just thought a more powerful truck gets better gas mileage pulling. Vs less powerful truck struggling to pull. Thats what my granmpa told me. So I thought e85 would play a role in that. Thanks.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here we go again!
Most vehicles cannot handle E-85. This is 85% ethanol and 15 % petroleum products. E-85 is designer for Flex Fuel engines not standard engines like in most gas MHs.
The majority of the vehicles can handle E-10 and somewhat less can handle E-15.
Yes, your right foot gets heavier with E-10/E15.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
The 20%-30% drop in mpg will more than overshadow any cost savings you might get from using E85...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
fordrocks wrote:
Really that's crazy. I'm still going to try it, but not what I expected. I have good luck mixing 50/50. Are you guessing or have you towed with it and got these result? You always lose 30 percent? Different trailer weight has nothing to do with it? I would get about 510 miles a tank with regular and 460 with e85 regular driving. That's not 30 percent is it? Thanks

There is less energy in ethanol than there is in gasoline. Diluting gasoline with ethanol will always give you less energy. And less energy means you have to supply more fuel to go the same speed. Thus you get lower miles per tank. It's plain and simple physics.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fordrocks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks turtle. Hope e85 gets cheaper then that sucks. I rather have my money stay in US thoo. I will use it just too get truck specs up and have money stay around US for busting even, but can't if I will lose money. Thanks again.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
fordrocks wrote:
Really that's crazy. I'm still going to try it, but not what I expected. I have good luck mixing 50/50. Are you guessing or have you towed with it and got these result? You always lose 30 percent? Different trailer weight has nothing to do with it? I would get about 510 miles a tank with regular and 460 with e85 regular driving. That's not 30 percent is it? Thanks

No haven't towed with it but it's easy math to do. You have right at 30% less BTU's with straight E85 so you will loose that and even a bit more because of the tune. The more gas you use the better mileage you will get.

I race against people that use alky. Straight meth not eth. On a hot day they will wax us with the same engine on alky. It makes a big difference on a hot day. On a cold day we can run right with them so not much difference in power.

Here is some math for you. It will show you why you won't come out by towing with E85.

Or you can just keep on using E85 and make the corn farmers rich and happy in the US. Your choice. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

fordrocks
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of money savings. Thats why run it.Have to stop every 2 hours anyways to let someone go to the bathroom. Lol.More hp and torque is always good what if you need to pass? What about if ya pull out in front of someone by accident better get on it or get rear ended. What about merging in too 75mph traffic. You didn't even talk about your experience towing with e85! Have ya? What did I learn from you?:h

fordrocks
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Why run E85 when you can only tow the speed limit with either fuel? Over the long run on a trip the non E85 guy will keep going past you cause you have to stop for gas more often. I have 350 hp and 800lbs TQ but in a line of cars going down the road we are traveling at the same speed. Only place where I would pass you is in a passing lane going up hill and latter on down the road we would be behind another group of cars. Happens all the time. Only reason for more HP/TQ is to tow a heavier load. If your running E85 and the guy behind you with the same exact setup is running reg, what are you gaining?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
fordrocks wrote:

You will loose right at 30%. So if you get 10 on gasoline you will get 6.5 to 7 on E85. It won't work out if you want to save $$$.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln