Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EcoBoost problems on the Horizon...:?

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has a problem

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today
66 REPLIES 66

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My boss was left swinging in the wind with his 6.0. $5k at 75k miles out of warranty. My 6.2,diesel, which I considered a poor example of a diesel was running fine at 200k with "only" an injector pump, lift pump and vacuum pump required.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Whats to worry about? They stood behind the 6.0 problems didn't they?
Well?

Actually everybody likes to act like 6.0 customers were left to swing in the wind and that certainly was not my experience. Mine was in the shop 3 times in 4 years with 2 of those trips being major repairs and I only spent $100 total on the repairs. You can't ask for much more than that as far as backing the product goes.

With two major repairs on a four year old vehicle, they should be paying you. My 1990 Chevy 2500 only needed a starter, clutch disc and multiple brake pads in 22 years of service. It was still running strong when I sold it. I've owned 8 new vehicles since 1980 (3 brands) and NONE has needed a major repair in the five year period that I have owned each of them.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my opinion, new vehicles need to be tested, refined and eventually manufactured to operate predictably, reliably, safely and with durability for every one who will be driving a particular make/model of vehicle.

There will be a wide ranger of drivers with differing skill and knowledge levels and each manufacturer needs to ensure that any vehicle for sale on the market...will operate well...for this wide range of drivers.

The market won't accept anything less.

Please note....I indicated every manufacturer needs to adhere to these basic standards.

I would also say that vehicle manufacturers do an excellent job in the manufacture of vehicles that meet these standards.

However....and no manufacturer in my opinion is immune...all manufacturer's have on rare occasion manufactured a vehicle...or design...or component... that has some difficulties.

When this happens it needs to be addressed quickly....by the manufacturer.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like the stars have to align just right for it to happen. Anyone checked to see what demographics play in this issue?

stuckinthesand
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this thread has lasted longer than the ticking Pentastar one. I'm impressed.

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Hahaha.

The "technical experts" in this thread are funny to say the least with their own brand of "BS".
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
lbrjet wrote:
Several people on the forum have experienced this. It is old news and happens rarely.

Nevertheless it is a known issue it needs to be fixed to the point that it doesn't happen at all.
Though rare these engines are totally shutting down when put under acceleration. It is a potentially dangerous situation. It is a known problem at this point.
A what point does the issue have to escalate to before a recall is done? Does someone have to get hurt first?
I don't like class action suits but I also don't like large corporations stone walling consumers and sweeping problems under the rug.
I'm sure there is a fix but is Ford going to go to the expense of issuing a recall? Bean counters rule.
Enter the class action lawyers looking for easy pickings!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! That right there is funny, I don't care who you are. The "displacement" of the hemi is too weak to even turn a top fuel blower at fuel speed! In this era of technology, there is an efficient "replacement for displacement". People that can't grasp that are usually the same ones who feel that a manual transmission is somehow superior to an automatic. Guess what guys, Elvis Presley is no longer topping the charts either.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
markandkim wrote:
You got to know, when you ask a little engine to do what they are asking there are going to be major problems. just follow the # 1 rule; There is no substitute for cubic inches. Remember when you daddy and your brother told you that? It still stands today, even with todays modern technology.
That little engine as you put it is built with all forged internals and can handle much more power than they come with from the factory. That #1 rule, there is no replacement for displacement is total B.S. I know your just lashing out because your having a hard time wrapping your head around the fact that Fords little Eco V6 outperforms you big bad HEMI ! It will be ok, you are unfortunatley suffering from what us ecoboost owners call torque deficiency. ๐Ÿ˜‰
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
markandkim wrote:
You got to know, when you ask a little engine to do what they are asking there are going to be major problems. just follow the # 1 rule; There is no substitute for cubic inches. Remember when you daddy and your brother told you that? It still stands today, even with todays modern technology.

Pure BS. Diesels now use turbo's instead of large displacements too.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Carrera_man
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
countryboy69 wrote:
my brother has an eco boost and a vw tdi. they both got inter coolers on the same day. basically anything with and inter cooler can have this issue.

This leads me to believe that driving habits have a lot to do with the problem. Just about every vehicle I have ever owned had its own little quirk and a simple change in driver behavior usually makes all the difference in the world. People get very upset when you tell them that they may be causing the problem because even the worst driver in the world somehow feels that they have superior driving skills. A friend had his girlfriend wreck his truck a few days ago and her defense was that she "drives better than any other girl out there". I think Ms. Patrick and the Force girls would probably beg to differ!

Well she may not drive better then the Force women but she's right there with Ms. Patrick LOL!
2008 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab 6.0 gas, 2013 Audi A5 Q, 2013 VRV 26FB Toy Hauler by Livin Lite , Triumph 1200 Explorer

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
countryboy69 wrote:
my brother has an eco boost and a vw tdi. they both got inter coolers on the same day. basically anything with and inter cooler can have this issue.

This leads me to believe that driving habits have a lot to do with the problem. Just about every vehicle I have ever owned had its own little quirk and a simple change in driver behavior usually makes all the difference in the world. People get very upset when you tell them that they may be causing the problem because even the worst driver in the world somehow feels that they have superior driving skills. A friend had his girlfriend wreck his truck a few days ago and her defense was that she "drives better than any other girl out there". I think Ms. Patrick and the Force girls would probably beg to differ!
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Several people on the forum have experienced this. It is old news and happens rarely.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

countryboy69
Explorer
Explorer
volks wagon has the same issue with the new tdi, inter cooler fills with enough water that when it freezes it wont start because the inlet is full of ice.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:

Not sure on the venturi effect... I do know a thing about carbs icing up. I had the same issue on my '70 pickup in the winter when I was in college in northern Utah. Really cold and going over the mountain pass the carb would ice up and the throttle would stick. My remedy was to modulate the throttle a little bit every couple minutes to keep it broken free.

I read more on the EB awhile back about high-humidity being a cause or magnifier to this condensation/misfire issue. I still feel that loading these things once in awhile will reduce/eliminate the problem; it shouldn't happen and owners shouldn't need to go out and flog their vehicles from time to time. It is just like when all the diesels went to DPFs. City driving, extended idle times, short-cycling, all lead to plugged DPFs. The solution was to drive them to get the exhaust gas temps up and help burn the soot out. I still feel that if these were 'worked' every once in awhile, water would not collect in the IC.

From my understanding of the venturi effect when I took flying lessons, it occurs when high moisture content air is passed at a high flow rate through a narrow passage; sensible water is essentially wrung out of the air. In a normally aspirated gasoline engine of an aircraft, ice will form even at low altitude, depending on ambient temperature (I always wondered how that could happen in Florida, but it can). In the case of the EB, the result is condensation in the CAC which apparently gets swept through the induction system and mixes (badly) with the fuel.