cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Brake Controls?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I started this topic a while back & yet cant find it?

Anyways being I will have my trailer in couple of weeks I need to go get a Brake controler & wonder what you use & what you like or don't like about it?

I don't wanna break the bank getting a high dollar trick control that would likely not offer me much over a basic one?

So tell me what you think?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
24 REPLIES 24

My_Blue_Heaven
Explorer
Explorer
I have NOT been happy with my controller from UHaul circa 2001. Either it grabs too much on an unloaded gooseneck or too little when it's loaded. Requires constant adjustment and even then, doesn't work very well. Beware.

Why haven't I yet replaced it? Other $$ priorities.
2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
River&Sand wrote:

I don't think you can go wrong with the P3, they are very popular.

Glad to hear that being its waiting for my wife to pick it up now at the RV shop already paid for.

On a Dodge forum they started say they were junk & that had me nervous about my choice?
With '85 Lance.

River_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
eagle777 wrote:
are these controllers only used with electric brakes. asking as a lot of boat trailers have surge brakes.

Yes, electric and electric over hydraulic (disc brakes). Surge has no electrical connection to the TV.

I use a Jordan 2020 which has a cable attached to the brake pedal and provides true proportional braking. It is another controller which was bought out and never returned.

I think a replacement for the Brake Smart is called Max Brake.

I don't think you can go wrong with the P3, they are very popular.
River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex 😄
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy :E

eagle777
Explorer
Explorer
are these controllers only used with electric brakes. asking as a lot of boat trailers have surge brakes.
jack
Manteca, ca

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo - You are right that they are no longer available (where was I when this all happened?). Sorry I posted info on something that has gone EOL. If your pressure sensor has gone bad, it can be replaced with after market. I would have to get the number from my pressure sensor and find a suitable replacement, but it is a common part, not customized for the controller.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the P3 today.
With '85 Lance.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
I've always wondered why guys mount the controller down between their knees and out of clear sight.

A lot of people don't like the concept of drilling holes through the plastic trim in the dash.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Seems a bit more than I need & yet at that price.....
Figure more is better?

Possible it is more than you need, but wanted to provide a good alternative. The others do work once you get them set properly. I used those types for years with my old 92 Ford. But after installing my BrakeSmart, I gave my old Tekonsha to a friend swearing I would never go back to a inertia or time ramped unit again. Though to be honest, he is still using it today.

The BrakeSmart is about as close to the new integrated units as you can get after market.

I can see from the picture in your sig, your along the lines of what I'm planning. 😄
With '85 Lance.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kohldad wrote:
BrakeSmart Intelligent Trailer Brakes

Has anyone bought one of these recently? I thought the BrakeSmart controller died off (or was killed by a lawsuit) a number of years ago?

I've heard multiple stories about their demise.

If they are available once again, that's great - I have one and need a pressure transducer for it so i can use it again. I absolutely hate the Prodigy controller in my second truck because I've gotten spoiled by the IBC in my 2009 Silverado.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy owner here.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Figure more is better?

Possible it is more than you need, but wanted to provide a good alternative. The others do work once you get them set properly. I used those types for years with my old 92 Ford. But after installing my BrakeSmart, I gave my old Tekonsha to a friend swearing I would never go back to a inertia or time ramped unit again. Though to be honest, he is still using it today.

The BrakeSmart is about as close to the new integrated units as you can get after market.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)

Bedlam
I am towing a similar trailer to what you want tow. I feel the aftermarket advances are slowing down since OEM's started to offer a built in controller. My OEM Ford controller was released in 2005 and I am very happy with its integration into ABS. The new ones have sway control and even smarter reaction to ABS signals than mine. I think there will continue to be a market for aftermarket models, but the volume of sales has been reduced which cuts into further R&D funding. The Prodigy P3 has had consistently good reviews and still considered the preferred controller over some of the cheap ones that use time delay or mechanical pendulums to control trailer brakes.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Figure more is better?
With '85 Lance.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
BrakeSmart Intelligent Trailer Brakes

It is a bit on the expensive side, but about the best you can get. It uses a pressure sensor on the vehicles braking system to apply the correct amount of braking power. Completely adjustable for initial setting and proportion rate. Have towed a variety of trailer yet seldom need to adjust it.

With a properly balanced trailer, there will never be a need to manually activate it. During a panic stop, the pressure in the vehicle system will increase the trailer brakes.

Tried the prodigy and tekonsha before finally finding this unit. Have no regrets about spending the money on the unit.