cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Tongue Jacks

wade68025
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a new electric tongue jack for my Jayco travel trailer. Any thoughts on brand, model or even where to buy at a good price.
14 REPLIES 14

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
its a chrome cap (in the pic), I think , not a mirror.

A light, on each side of the tongue jack ... I never use it but I guess some owners do.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
its a chrome cap (in the pic), I think , not a mirror.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
j.p.f. wrote:
hey soundguy,
is that mirror large enough to be useful.
can you use it to back to the hitch?

Mirror? :h

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Atwood reviews. Great jack with a top mounted motor that gives you more tailgate clearance.

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
hey soundguy,
is that mirror large enough to be useful.
can you use it to back to the hitch?

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Ultrafab {new} never lasted one year. They replaced it and it locked up.
I replaced it with a Barker. I had a Barker on my old TT for 10 years with no problems. I will never buy another Ultrafab even if was half price
samsontdog:o:W

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I own an Ultrafab for about 20 minutes.
It was on my TT when I arrived to pick it up.
The dealer apologized, as the light switch was defective, and they had ordered a replacement switch, but it would not arrive in time for my 2000 mile trip home the next day. They said they would mail me the switch when it arrived.
Good enough.
I then proceeded to hitch up. The Ultrafab locked up in the extended position. Had to use a floor jack to remove the UF jack. At that point with two failures before I even left the dealer, I decided that jack wasn't for me.

I told them I wanted an Atwood like the one that had served me well for many years on my last TT.

They agreed, and set me up with a manual jack to get me home. The Atwood arrived a day after I got home. I never regretted that decision.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, my trailer came with a Barker tongue jack and it worked great for ten years. Then it failed. Stripped a gear. (1.) I bought an Ultra Fab and it worked but was defective. (2.) Ultra Fab replaced this one with another of the same; This one failed. (3.) Ultra fab replaced this one with an updated higher model; This one also failed. (4.) Ultra Fab sent me the latest and greatest and it is sitting in my garage. I bought a new gear for my old Barker and fixed it. It works great again. I bought a spare gear just in case. The reason that I bought an Ultra Fab in the first place was because Camping World did not have the gear that I needed and I was about 3,000 miles away from my home.

Ultra Fab was a great company to work with.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
I have a phobia of leaving electrical components to the weather.

Mine is always covered during the camping season, for winter storage I replace the electric tongue jack with a manual TJ.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wade68025 wrote:
Looking for a new electric tongue jack for my Jayco travel trailer. Any thoughts on brand, model or even where to buy at a good price.

Last year I replaced the LCI tongue jack that came with our Coachmen with an UltraFab 3502. I chose the UF because I had owned one previously, preferred the all metal construction, and the fact that by loosening the four head bolts I could rotate the head 180 degrees and thereby avoid the truck tailgate. The internal design of the UF has changed so rotating the head is no longer possible without completely disassembling it BUT it now does come with extra holes in the base plate so it can be mounted so the head is sitting 90 degrees to either side. Since I'm normally standing on the street side of the trailer when operating the tongue jack that's how I set it up.

Many tongue jacks will have a plastic head cover, either white or black, that in time will discolour and deteriorate from exposure to the elements, particularly the sun. Even though mine is all metal I also keep it permanently covered with a purpose designed UltraFab tongue jack bag.

When selecting any tongue jack make sure you know the size of hole you have in the trailer A-frame, either 2" or 2.25". Most are the latter, including mine, but since the UF 2502 has a 2" lower shaft I built a support bracket using a piece of hardwood.

One caution - there are plenty of much less expensive look-a-like tongue jacks for sale online of eBay, etc, that you'd swear are UltraFab but in fact are not. JMO, but you usually get what you pay for and I expect this will be the last tongue jack I'll ever own. ๐Ÿ˜‰

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I fitted my hand jack with a coupling nut and use my 20V driver drill to raise and lower. Worse case scenario I can raise and lower with a ratchet if necessary. I have a phobia of leaving electrical components to the weather.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Allreds_Fifth_W
Explorer
Explorer
http://rvpartsoverstock.com/product/husky-brute-power-jacks/

Has the Husky HB 4500 for $183.34 right now with free freight

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought the Husk HB4500 last summer and am very pleased with it. Got it delivered from Amazon for a total of $211.93. Installation was very simple.

Husky 4500# jack from Amazon

I will tell you to get a larger capacity jack than you think you need so that you're not overly working it. If you used the jack to raise the rear of you truck some to hook-up the WD hitch, you're lifting more than just the tongue weight of your trailer.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Allreds_Fifth_W
Explorer
Explorer
Ultra fab & Husky get the best reviews and I have friends with both. I always check rvpartsoverstock.com first they seem to have the best pricing, I bought a king pin stabilizer for my fifth wheel from them.