cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

equal-i-zer and backing up

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
Do you guys back up and take your equalizer to 90 degrees? the only time I did this 5 years ago one bar popped off.

I still consider myself a novice at parking my TT in a tight spot in the bush. (not a cement pad guy)

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
It sounds like your L brackets are too far back on the tongue. I know I can't get to 90 without the trailer contacting the tow vehicle. But when I do have it back that far the bars are still about 3 inches from falling off the L bracket.

Maybe take a tape measure and make sure the L brackets are between 27 - 32 inches from the tip of the tongue. If they are at 32 try moving them closer to the ball by an inch or so.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to go to a big parking lot on a Sunday and crank the sucker close to 90 ๐Ÿ™‚

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed RVs with many different WDH setups in the last 50 years and have never removed the bars or whatever when backing, in the rain, turning sharply
or whatever. Never had a problem
samsontdog:o:W

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
When I had an equal-i-zer I never had a problem backing up. I don't think I have ever gone a full 90 degrees because there would be now way out of it, anyway, other than going forward again.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
I watched a guy back in beside me and he had no WD hitch and a 16' camper, he made it look so easy but also at 90 so I thought to myself that's my problem. Maybe I should take the bars off before I back up.

Also, when I'm not level In have a hard time getting the bars off some times.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not all the way to 90 degrees - I think at that point the truck & trailer would contact each other in a less than desirable way. Still, we've made some pretty tight turns backing up. So far the hitch has held up.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375