Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizer hitch - how to tell which one I have

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys-
Is there a model number or something on Equalizer brand hitches? I have access to 2 of them and I think one is a heavier rated model but before I go look at them I'm wondering how to tell which rating they are. Thanks!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
5 REPLIES 5

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO one significant drawback to the Equal-i-zer system is that each spring bar will only fit the head designed for that weight rating ... change spring bars and you gotta change the head, meaning you might as well sell the entire unit and buy another with the correct weight rating. In contrast, if you own a Blue Ox Sway Pro and change to a heavier or lighter trailer all you need to do is replace the spring bars, everything else remains the same.

Agree! If I was the OP I would certainly look at other brands like Husky, Blue Ox, Reese, etc.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I store my bars in a wood box I made. When I went from 750# to 1000# or 1200 (forget which now), they would no longer fit. The new ones were an inch or two longer and that was the only difference I could see between the bar sets.

Equal-i-zer Spring Arms are rated @ 400, 600, 1000, 1200, and 1400 lbs ... heavier bars are thicker. All Equal-i-zer hitches are labeled with the model number so unless it's been removed or painted over determining it's weight rating is as simple as looking at the label. IMO one significant drawback to the Equal-i-zer system is that each spring bar will only fit the head designed for that weight rating ... change spring bars and you gotta change the head, meaning you might as well sell the entire unit and buy another with the correct weight rating. In contrast, if you own a Blue Ox Sway Pro and change to a heavier or lighter trailer all you need to do is replace the spring bars, everything else remains the same. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad you asked this. I was wondering the same thing. I am moving to a larger travel trailer but I am not sure which Equal-i-zer hitch I have.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I store my bars in a wood box I made. When I went from 750# to 1000# or 1200 (forget which now), they would no longer fit. The new ones were an inch or two longer and that was the only difference I could see between the bar sets.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
My Equal-i-zer brand is a 1,000 lbs version as evidenced by the label on the bars which read 90-00-1000 and 1,000 max tongue weight and 10,000 max trailer weight.

The hitch has "C1" molded on the head near one of the bar pivot bolt heads.

I bought this new with my current trailer 3 years ago so the labels are still legible. I don't have another to compare with. Maybe a local dealer has a couple that would give you a clue. My bars are 1-3/8" square if that helps.
Their parts manual does not give physical dimensions but perhaps the bar sizes are measurably different.

Maybe Equal-i-zer would give you some specs. That would be handy if buying used and the labels are gone.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi