cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever heard of this?

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
So my wife and I were looking for a new truck,which we were going to order, priced it out on Truecar, got 2 offers, went to the dealer and settled on the price, no problem there. We went on a Sunday, and they gave me a real lowball offer on my trade. They asked me to come back during the week, when another manager was there, and they could get more eyes on it.No problem. We went back yesterday, the GM took a quick walk around, never looked inside, and offered even less than they had on Sunday, explaining they didn't know what my truck would be worth when the new truck came in. I have ordered vehicles before, and there is a statement in the fine print that the trade is subject to re evaluation at delivery. That is fine. Never had a dealer knock down the trade in value. Seems this guy was skipping a step, speculating what he thought my truck would be worth at delivery, because they admitted they lose money on Truecar deals, and wanted to make up some money at my expense. My truck is low miles, interior is good, no stains, tears, smells, exterior in great shape, etc, and their offer was nowhere near what KBB, NADA stated. Needless to say, we left.
32 REPLIES 32

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I guess I don't understand the issue here. Someone offers to sell you something. If you're satisfied with the terms you agree to buy it. If not - No Sale. So What am I Missing here that makes this no sale so "Ever Hear of This" unusual?

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Dealerships make money two ways. The first is on the selling price of a vehicle. The higher they can take you, the more profit for them. The second is on the trade in. The lower they offer, the more profit.

I'd suggest that if you're going to purchase using a fixed price system like TrueCar, you sell your previous vehicle via a private party. Once you have the cash in hand, then you can proceed with the purchase.

Whenever you're dealing with a car dealer, you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. Another tactic is to pit two or more dealers against each other.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing unusual here. Dealers do whatever they can to make as much profit as they can. I bet they hate the internet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman