Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD and Air Bags on Rear - Why a No-No?

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Team,

In searches and reading the forums, there seems to be a chorus of folks who say Air Bags and WD systems do not mix.

Why can't you:
1) Deflate air bags first,
2) Then hook up and set the WD (hook up trailer, tension bars, proper leveling front to rear, etc.),
3) Lastly just add enuff air to help cushion the ride (not lift the rear).

What am I missing? This seems like a perfectly reasonable way to use air bags and WD together.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Oh, if it matters I tow with an F250 2WD, Diesel, Crew Cab.
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.
21 REPLIES 21

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
mdprowash wrote:
I'm not sure what the issue is with airbags and a WDH but I have Timbrens... does it create the same issue?

Not really an issue, just a difference in setup. Your timbrens don't allow you to raise the rear of the vehicle, they simply act as a stiffer rear spring.

Airbags allow you to raise the rear if you so choose.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I towed my trailer for over ten years with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator with rear air suspension; Never had a problem. My Lincoln has the factory tow package so it was made for towing. My owner's manual also tells you how to set-up your WD hitch with air suspension. So it must be OK to do it.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
Two times out so far and I haven't noticed anything other than it being a little stiffer over bumps........ yes they are touching bump stops

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
mdprowash wrote:
I'm not sure what the issue is with airbags and a WDH but I have Timbrens... does it create the same issue?

Interesting question. I'd guess not. Especially if they are touching the axle pad once all is set.

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer

TSeck
Explorer
Explorer
I run bags and a reese and wouldn't go back. I run about 40lbs normally, maybe 10 more if I've got a fully compliment of people (6-7) in the rig.
N. Fla. Family of 6 (2 Eagle Scouts!)
Looking at full time RV after retirement in 3 years.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Bingo and well said.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, my new RAM 2500 has that auto level system. This whole using the WDH to level the truck by bringing up the rear end goes out the window. Once I drop my 850 lb hitch on the truck ball it drops a couple inches, but within 10 seconds the truck automatically raises it back to exactly where it was before I hitched the trailer up! I just have my WDH set up to lower the front of the truck down to about 1/4" above the stock height. If your truck has no springs or suspension on the rear, just solid struts and no matter how much weight you drop on the ball the rear does not go down you still would use the WDH to bring the front end down. That is called distributing the weight to the front, hence the name "Weight Distribution Hitch". Sure you can raise the rear of your tow rig with the WDH but if you have air bags you can take a lot of that strain off the WDH bars (which now become major suspension components on the TW if you have weak springs) and just use the bars to lower your front and level the TV.

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Nonsense. An air bag basically increases you load capacity. It'll take a couple tries to figure out how much air you need in them with your particular rig. Once that is figured out just air them up, hook up the trailer and WDH and go. Saying you need to air down your bags to hitch up is like saying you need to pull a leaf or two out of those bigger springs you bought to increase your cargo capacity before hitching up. Air bags are not meant to ease the ride, they are meant to level your vehicle while under load. They are meant to increase the load rating. I'll never figure out the hate for air bags. Best invention since the wheel was invented. It gives you adjustable suspension. What is wrong with that?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I've run Airride for 20 years with different Reese hitches.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Adjusting the TV to level isn't what most truck manufactures suggest. Most suggest that the front height should be half between unloaded height and loaded height.

Combine that with a couple inches of sag in rear, and 1/2" rise in the front. Not searching for raccoons in the trees, but headlights are definitely higher and can cause it to be tough on oncoming traffic. A perfectly adjusted WDH doesn't neccessarily mean the truck will still sit level.

I air my bags up so the rear sits at unloaded height. I have the wdh adjusted correctly to bring the nose down where it is supposed to be.

I think some people are also concerned that airing the bags up AFTER the hitch is adjusted is a big no-no. I agree with that line of thinking. If you air the bags up enough to change the height of the rear end, it WILL change the amount of weight transfer.

However, if you finalize your hitch adjustment with your airbags at their final position, then there is no problem there.

I much prefer the weight to be carried by the bags. There is no hitting the harsh overload springs on bumps and such. Just a nice, progressive compression of the bags.

Your Mileage May Vary, Of course.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can see using air bags to ease the ride. However. If using them to level / raise the rear of the TT. You would be changing the amount of weight the WDH is transferring. You would remove the tension on the weight bars.
In truth. IF you have the WDH setup correctly. The TV will sit very close to level. There will be very little sag, and no headlights huntin Coons, or pointing to the sky. A little air after that to cushion the ride wouldn't hurt, but not enough to raise the rear.

Remember. Air bags can level the TV, But will not transfer any lost weight to the steering axle. IMOP if you get your hitch correct. You would not need air bags.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
... In searches and reading the forums, there seems to be a chorus of folks who say Air Bags and WD systems do not mix.
:S All these years, since my 4Runner was new, I have been doing it wrong. :E

I have NO idea how many pounds pressure are in my air bags, I have a switch on the console with L - N - H (low, normal, high). The bags set the height automatically. The only problem I had was setting up the WDH. It doesn't do any good to measure the "drop" at the rear wheel wells with a load so I measure the drop at the front wheel wells to make sure I am not taking weight off the front axle. A trip to the scales shows me how much is added to the front and rear axles.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I put bags on my 2500hd. I'll never go back to being without them. Truck sits level, rides better, and headlights shine where they're supposed to.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)