cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exension cords (mainly for fridge and cooking devices)

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
I searched but couldn't find quite the right answer. I'm sorry for all the questions, but as first timers, I guess it's expected. 🙂

Couple of questions:

1. Should I look for anything in particular to power the fridge (outside plug in the panel)? I know household fridge/freezer boxes are really not supposed to use extension cords, but assuming the little ones in our TTs do. Would any outdoor rated cord suffice?
2. Same question regarding an Instant Pot - as recommended, we plan on using it to do most of our cooking but would like to plug into campground 15 amp plug and not into TT.
3. Is it better to have two extension cords (one for each) or would a good gauge outdoor cord and splitter be ok for both? (do most campgrounds provide one or two 15 amp connections?)

Thank you so much for any info you could provide.
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
crazyro wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Is the fridge not just plugged into an outlet right there in the outside compartment?

Aha! This was the missing part of the puzzle. I found an outlet almost hidden in the corner, around the fiberglass insulation. Fridge is now plugged in.

Thank you all for your help on this!

THAT is the reason you kept getting the 'CHECK' light
When fridge control is in 'Auto' it will run on AC when you are plugged in to Shore Power (30A trailer power cord)
BUT if no AC is available (fridge power cord not plugged into outlet) then it will swap to Propane.
Check light is a FAULT indicating that the propane flame did NOT light off====no propane valved in, propane valved in but hasn't got to fridge burner (might need to try 3-4 attempts).

12V DC is required for fridge controls ---upper panel, control module/circuit board, and for AC/Propane functions

Post Brand & Model of fridge for specific info
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
crazyro,

The control system for the fridge is 12 volt DC. That needs to be on even when running the fridge on 120 volts AC.

I carry #12 and #10 extension cords.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Is the fridge not just plugged into an outlet right there in the outside compartment?

Aha! This was the missing part of the puzzle. I found an outlet almost hidden in the corner, around the fiberglass insulation. Fridge is now plugged in.

Thank you all for your help on this!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do check said outlet has power when RV main cord is plugged in.
Otherwise it may take a full 24 hours for the fridge to chill out.
Yes fridge also needs good 12v supply for the controls.
12v is supplied by the battery or converter depending if plugged in.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. Now I'm wondering if I maybe didn't give it enough time to do its thing. I will need to see if it does indeed work without the external power source. I seem to be getting conflicting info... Argh.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
What am I missing here? Why do you want to power the RV fridge from some other source then the one that was designed to power it?

Our fridge runs on both LP and electricity. I will run it on 110V mostly if not all of the time. The battery is required for some reason, but it is powered by a 110 plug (outside). It will not run just by simply plugging TT into the 30 amp source (check light comes and stays on). I was also told by local RV shop that outside power plug source was required. Don't ask me why but it is what it is.

Heiny57
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
What am I missing here? Why do you want to power the RV fridge from some other source then the one that was designed to power it?

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
I would use two separate cords. My suggestion is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get good 20 amp extensions. They will serve you well.

a 20A cord would be 12 gauge or less ! $$$ Overkill in opinion, unless you plan on using the same cord simultaneous for both items.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I would use two separate cords. My suggestion is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get good 20 amp extensions. They will serve you well.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72