cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exposed Generator

charles_1947
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to permanently mount a generator on the tongue of my rv, but I need some way to cover/protect it from the weather and give some security for theft prevention or tampering. Anyone done this or seen it done?
7 REPLIES 7

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
westhedgeapple wrote:
If you are towing with a Pickup Truck look at Mountainmaster Manufacturing. I have the 4KW Genbox all self-contained in the truck bed. It will run one AC and a microwave plus lights and TV at one time and has keychain remote start. 120volt 30 amp output, makes no more noise running than a cell phone ringing, full load for 24 hrs. burns 4.5 gallons gas (I know this because the ice storm of 2009 required ne to run most of my home on it for 6.5 days) normal load 2 gallons. It is not cheap but no quiet good grade generator is.

I had never seen that before. Pretty cool.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

westhedgeapple
Explorer
Explorer
If you are towing with a Pickup Truck look at Mountainmaster Manufacturing. I have the 4KW Genbox all self-contained in the truck bed. It will run one AC and a microwave plus lights and TV at one time and has keychain remote start. 120volt 30 amp output, makes no more noise running than a cell phone ringing, full load for 24 hrs. burns 4.5 gallons gas (I know this because the ice storm of 2009 required ne to run most of my home on it for 6.5 days) normal load 2 gallons. It is not cheap but no quiet good grade generator is.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
You have room on the tongue for a generator? What size gen are you wanting? Most mounted gens are put on the back of the trailer, if that's what your rv is. However that can make your tongue weight too light if the generator is very heavy. Lots of things to consider.

Most covers I have seen are nothing more than a vinyl cover.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
How large of Genny do you intend on mounting ?

You may want to consider the amount of vibration it causes when running. I've got a friend that did that, & wish they never had. It's since been removed from the tongue.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Newbee apparently has not read the rules.....I'm sure a moderator will let him know he can't post in more than one place!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You asked this already
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27941825.cfm
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Creativity...that's all you need.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs