cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extend or not extend

quickrod66
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling down the road the wife see other TT,s at residence's parked with their slide" put out, she asks why we do not do the same thing. I do not know what to tell her. What are the advantages & dis advantages to extending your slide outs when TT not in use?
12 REPLIES 12

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
A good logical answer is needed here ,
interior gasses build pressure inside RV's while parked for long periods of time . Excessive pressure pops the slides out...

^Yeah, go with this if you need to make up an answer for why you don't want to leave the slides out. :B

In our case:
Slides in when we're in it (packing, cleaning, checking on it)
Slides in when it's just sitting there looking pretty.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
myredracer wrote:
I think it is best to leave it in so dust, leaves and other "stuff" doesn't settle on it. Fully in means less exposure to the elements for the outer seal and less chance for flying insects and flies to get inside.

The above reasons are why I don't leave the slide-out extended at home on my truck camper.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Well.....think about it this way.........There are 2 complete sets of seals ....on a slideout assy.

When OPEN.... the outside seals..(that close and seal the assy when closed ).. are sitting out side -- exposed to sun and U.V. rays.. which will naturally age the rubber.

When not in use ( and stored with slides in )...the deteriation rate....is not an issue.:W....

Only the closed--- side seals are exposed.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Collection of dirt, dust, leaves, and other debris on top of the slides is the only downside. Full timers keep the slides out year round. No problem in doing that. And these things are no where near air tight so there is not going to be any pressure build up.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our case we found that in a driving rain the extended slide can seep water around the seals, it catches leaves and dirt and it exposes the seals to sunlight UV. So unless we are using the TT, it is in.

That said, some slides block the interior if they are closed, so it is more convenient to leave them out.

It is not a right or wrong issue, it is personnel preference.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
quickrod66 wrote:
What are the advantages ....................... to extending your slide outs when TT not in use?

A good logical answer is needed here ,
interior gasses build pressure inside RV's while parked for long periods of time . Excessive pressure pops the slides out and they can only be retracted with battery power. The battery is in storage , so the slides remain deployed till spring.

I have no idea if this is true or not but I have heard..............
When you see a parked TT in a driveway with the slide deployed, this is telltale sign of a 'man-cave'.

Some slides block the flat screen when "in". :W

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If I were a FTer I would have to leave my slides out 24/7/365 unles my RV was on the road to the next destination. I suspect it really doesn't matter if you leave the slides open or closed in storage.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my slides in just because there is less stuff exposed to the elements.

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I often leave one of my slide outs extended for fairly long periods of time and have never had a problem. The advantage is that I have more room when I go into the trailer and have more room to move around. Its not a big deal, just what I tend to do (as it would only take a minute to open). However, I have slide out awnings which cover my slide out. If you do not have them and were to leave your slide outs open and where near any trees, then leaves or branches or pine needles could accumulate on your slide out and would need to be brushed off prior to you bringing the slide out in. Otherwise, you could damage the seals. Also, if you do not have slide out awnings and it rained a lot, you could get some water to sneak by your seals (just a possibility depending on condition of seals and how trailer is leveled at the time). Others may express concern with slide out sagging depending upon how long it is and its construction. I have not had an issue with this. Best of luck.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six of one, half dozen the other... You will get both sides here. Must be either all in or all out.

I think it is best to leave it in so dust, leaves and other "stuff" doesn't settle on it. Fully in means less exposure to the elements for the outer seal and less chance for flying insects and flies to get inside.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The only time ours gets extended at home is when we want to use the rig. Not just store it.