cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior charging port

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been looking for the outlet that is outside on a lot of new campers to charge the battery. My battery is under the dinette seat in a vented battery box so getting at it is not fun. Does anyone know a website to buy such a thing. Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks DJ, that is what I want to have on the back of my TC. I was at Menard's today and I found a exterior metal plug box that will give me room to but the charging ports in.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use on my boat for my electric trolling motor and my downriggers.

50 amp plugs
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
These aux charging posts are very common.

We had them on the back of our race cars so opening up panels or hoods was not necessary. We also had them in the truck of our patrol cars, to allow jumping a person's car without pointing the car the wrong way, or turning around on a highway.

Like DJ has pictured. If you live in an area where there are Race Shops or Truck Upfitters, you will find them locally. Or ordering them off line is another option.

After doing so, this is a great way of supplementing your converter charger with an aux smart charger. Twice the power for less time running a generator or truck engine.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Summit Racing

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do like the solar plug idea, that would work and it doesn't cost much Thanks.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the information.I think that I will call a Palomino dealer and see if I could order the outlet. My plan is to take out the 110 outlet on the back and run battery cable with fuse to the battery a real easy install. The battery is about 2 and a half feet a way. My other option is to have the plug hang out the back. but that would get really dirty.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Not knowing exactly what your looking at my first thought is auxiliary battery would need fairly heavy connectors & wiring. Access to plug in charger (or solar panel w/controller) could be quite a bit smaller.

If Palamino has 'port' that you think would work for both Id contact them. They may offer source. There are a lot of remote battery charging/jumping posts available. remote terminals..
Sources on Ebay

Different types of quick connects quick connect

Pre made panles bit expensive. IT may be simpler to hard wire an Anderson connector for the aux battery. (or other type of plug rated for use)powerpole-accessories

Found this pic on www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2014-palomino-rv-announcements

Nice panel..other than the box, remote battery posts linked above. Think Id want it somewhere protected, definantly a kill switch and fused. Lil overkill for connecting solar or external charger.
For small solar panle simple 2 pin SAE connecector would work, or low amp charger (not for battery) similar to SAE connector
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
on my winnie the batteries were under the steps and I hooked up two minnkota 30 amp trolling motor connectors just sticking out of the hinged step. could hook up my battery charger there.
bumpy

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I would use it for. A portable solar panel that I own all ready. Plus when we go dry camping I can carry a extra battery in the outside compartment and hook it up to the port. Some day I want to put solar on the roof.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Oh!

My Lance came prewired for solar, but the inside wasn't connected to the batteries. They were just pigtailed inside for a solar controller of the owner's choice.

Glad I was of help! Ha! (not...)

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to youtube and watched a video on the new Palomino 6601 TC. They have what I am looking for,it can be used to hook up a portable solar system or put a battery charger on it. They called it a charging dock.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
New campers have a built in charger for the batteries that run off AC Mains. So, you just plug the camper into AC house power and the charger converts that to DC and charges the batteries.

I do not know of any NEW camper that has a separate DC cord that would be used just to charge the camper batteries.

However, if you want to purchase a set-up so you can hook outside DC to your batteries to charge them up, that is possible. I don't know of any website that would offer such a package though. You most likely would need to design and buy each component to put together.

That's not to say what you are eluding to is true; that there are products that will do exactly what you are saying; that is, to charge your battery by plugging in from outside the camper via a DC or even AC source.

I hope someone else is able to offer more useful info for you! Cheers!

I just want to add; the only exception that I can think of is that the cord that hooks the camper to the truck usually provides DC power from the truck to charge your batteries in the camper. You might be able to use that cord to charge your batteries when off the truck from a DC source I suppose.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
New campers have a built in charger for the batteries that run off AC Mains. So, you just plug the camper into AC house power and the charger converts that to DC and charges the batteries.

I do not know of any NEW camper that has a separate DC cord that would be used just to charge the camper batteries.

However, if you want to purchase a set-up so you can hook outside DC to your batteries to charge them up, that is possible. I don't know of any website that would offer such a package though. You most likely would need to design and buy each component to put together.

That's not to say what you are eluding to is true; that there are products that will do exactly what you are saying; that is, to charge your battery by plugging in from outside the camper via a DC or even AC source.

I hope someone else is able to offer more useful info for you! Cheers!