cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

exterior slam latch baggage doors

kend40
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone added an additional baggage area by cutting through the exterior wall of their TT? I am wondering how hard it is and how well it can be done. getting under the couch on my slide is a pain....so i wondered about adding an exterior door?
Kend40
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost TV
2013 Kodiak 242rbsl TT
9 REPLIES 9

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slam latches are commonly used on basement storage of class A's...as in, it latches when it closes as opposed to having to manually latch the door after it is closed.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Why does the original thread title use the term "slam"?

That is what the new to TT types of doors are called since they have the wedge-shaped tongue that engages when the door is closed / slammed shut, as opposed to the older type of lock that requires a key to be turned to turn the lock thereby rotating the tab that holds the door shut.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Hard to believe the manufacturer wouldn't put doors on both sides of a compartment that spans the whole width of the TT. Why does the original thread title use the term "slam"?

It is hard to believe, isn't it? They put the framing in for it, though. :S

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
.... and the new one is .... where?

It's on the other side. If you hold the above picture up to a mirror you can see what it looks like. :B :B

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to believe the manufacturer wouldn't put doors on both sides of a compartment that spans the whole width of the TT. Why does the original thread title use the term "slam"?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
.... and the new one is .... where?
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Not too difficult. My TT has a 1'x1ยฝ' compartment that runs the width of the front end. It had only one door, making the rear four feet of the compartment unusable. I found a door and planned the installation. As I hoped (and suspected) there was framing already in place for the second door. The mfr decided to cheap out and not install a second door. So I installed one. Here's the original door:

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I once had a TT where I added a extra cargo door. On that one it was easy and back then there was a place near me that sold overstocked RV parts so I just bought a door from them cut a hole and put it in. Unfortunately that place closed down and I miss it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would think it would totally depend on the specific construction of your unit and utility location. there are numerous RVs with these doors opening up the under davenport area.
bumpy