cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External propane tank

jrdebono
Explorer
Explorer
Was wondering if anybody connected an external 20lb propane tank to the quick disconnect fitting on the camper? I have a hose with regulator connected to block that has various ports, including a male quick disconnect fitting. Will connecting an external tank with a regulator damage the main regulator on the camper?
John R. De Bono
Aurora, TX
8 REPLIES 8

marcarolle
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 30lbs tanks on my Antigua. The one on the right is dedicated to the HTT interior appliances - mainly fridge when travelling, water heater and furnace (some nights to kill humidity).

The tank on the left is used for my BBQ. I'm not using the trailer's low-pressure RVQ. I purchased a marine grad BBQ (Kuma, Stainless Steel) that sits on the RVQ rack on the side of the trailer. The BBQ is connected to the 30lbs tank on the left, with a propane hose (approx. 12'-15'). I set this up at the same time we set up the trailer.

I find that the built-in low-pressure quick-connect propane system on the trailer is not powerful enough. Other campers will find it sufficient. Just a matter of personal preference.

Happy camping!
Me
DW

Gouda - 11 months Golden Retriever
Eva Golden Retriever (we miss you!)

2019 F150 2.7l V6 Ecoboost
2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

2004 Antigua 215SS Hybrid - gone
2002 Jayco Eagle 12SD pop up - gone
1996 10 ft Clipper pop up - gone
1977 10 ft Lionel pop up - gone

jrdebono
Explorer
Explorer
I have a regulator on the other tank. I was concerned about the back pressure on the onboard regulator.
John R. De Bono
Aurora, TX

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
You must feed LP to the camper via a regulator. Otherwise you're introducing unregulated tank pressure -- which is much higher than "high pressure -- to the trailer. There may be one-way valves in the system to prevent this.

It's July and the only critical use for LP is the refrigerator which will run a month and not empty one cylinder. Grill and stove burn less than a pound per hour of flame time. LP is available everywhere, even in Texas. ๐Ÿ™‚

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

jrdebono
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I just filled both onboard tanks and planning a boon docking trip and I did not want to deplete a tank before the trip. Wanted to start the trip with two full tanks.
John R. De Bono
Aurora, TX

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
jrdebono wrote:
Thanks, for your reply's. I was just curious. I was thinking that I could put on another tank if the two on board tanks are empty. But I wasn't sure if back feeding the system could damage the on board regulator.

The chances of that happening are slim to none as long as the regulator is operating in the normal range. If it works in a grill it would work but why not just replace one of the empties with the one you mentioned?

jrdebono
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, for your reply's. I was just curious. I was thinking that I could put on another tank if the two on board tanks are empty. But I wasn't sure if back feeding the system could damage the on board regulator.
John R. De Bono
Aurora, TX

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't. You are kind of back feeding the gas system and unless you're certain the pressure matches, you could be over pressurizing the campers stove and refrigerator.

I know my 23CFK with an external gas fitting for the stove that books on the camper side is regulated at to low of a pressure to properly operate my 3 burner camp stove and WeberQ.

For that reason ( I do all the cooking outside), I remove one of the dual tanks and put it back by my outdoor kitchen with a Y splitter and use the OEM regulators for gas pressure.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think it would hurt as you can have more than one tank on that is regulated. If I am understanding the question you are wanting to hook the tank you mentioned to the quick connect fitting on the outside of the trailer body. If you have two tanks on the front of your rig why would you want to do that? The bottles on the front will handle any gas line installed on the RV.