cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Current draw from refrigerator.

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on the road for six months. Lately it seems like our batteries (new 12v 27 series deep cycle) are going low more quickly. I took out all the 12V fuses and checked the current draw as each was replaced. The refrigerator took a lot even though it's running on propane. It's a Dometic two-way. My meter is just a cheapie so I can't tell the exact current draw. It just pinned the meter.
8 REPLIES 8

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
I found the switch on the fridge for the frost control. It was on. My wife defrosted last week. She turned it on then. That's probably the problem! Thanks.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
How are you charging the batteries? They may not be getting a full charge.

X2
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
How are you charging the batteries? They may not be getting a full charge.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic fridges eliminated the switches for climate control a few years ago so that their climate control heater cannot be turned off. I have disconnected mine which is accessible inside the fridge light assembly (red wire). Others have added a switch there to give them the choice of off or on. Reference model DM2652. The heater is 25 ohms so draws about 0.5 Amps.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
Some fridges have a climate control switch under the eyebrow panel that is supposed to help with frost. On my last trailer, it was just labeled I O. These will pull a fair amount of current. The location was such that it could be accidentally turned to on. I think my book mentioned it is better to leave off when boondocking. Perhaps that switch has been accidentally turned on.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Is the fridge using 120v AC, 12v DC or Propane? Some fridges used 12v DC. If it somehow was running 12V DC this would explain the higher amperage draw.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Our frig draws 0.30 amps while n LPG. It also has a switch to do something that I keep turned off. I heard it uses some juice.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the MODEL number??????????

Have you checked that your converter is properly recharging you batteries?

And what do you consider NEW?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31