cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feedback on the Fun Finder Rvs

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
Well I posted last week on a new lightweight camper for my Toyota Tacoma that can pull 6500# We just put a down payment on a Fun Finder 266KIRB. It weighs in at 5505# We love the layout, but don't know much about the company itself. Just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with this company.
20 REPLIES 20

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is an old thread but I just purchased the same trailer and decided to take a look at what others are saying about it.
I seldom worry about problems people post about a particular RV. The manufacturer and/or model of the RV have very little to do with the problems you may have in the future. It's the components in the RV that matter. Chances are we could have an identical trailer and have different components depending on the day they were assembled.

Since I see Bruce bought the trailer (from other threads) I'm hoping he bought a larger truck.

My first travel trailer was a 2009 KZ Spree 261RKS. The weights and size are nearly identical to the Fun Finder 266KIRB.
At the time I had a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with 6500# tow capacity. I had already started the process of switching to a Tundra but decided to ask the sales guy if the Tacoma was enough truck. He assured me I would be fine. They don't care, they are only after a sale.
Dry weight of 5000# translates into a real world weight of about 6500#. Dry weight doesn't include LP and tanks, batteries, water (fresh, black and grey) and all of the other stuff you will carry. The tongue weight jumps from 500# to about at least 650#, usually higher because there are large storage areas ahead of the axles.
All people seem to think about is how much their truck can pull. You have to take into account how much payload you are limited to. 650# tongue weight plus gas, passengers, pets and anything else in the truck will easily overload a Tacoma. A 600# ATV in the box of my Tacoma would cause the rear suspension to bottom out on bumps. The other think to account for is stopping power. Do you trust Tacoma brakes hold up to an emergency stop with an extra 7000# + pushing the truck? Yes, the trailer has brakes but I want enough stopping power to compensate for failed trailer brakes.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with having much more truck than you need. I was determined to buy the Nissan Titan, and I really wanted this trailer. The numbers matched up. It's not bad on flat land (at 55mph). It's not bad on low rolling hills. On larger hills, I'm behind the semis going 20 mph in second gear because of transmission temperature. I should have purchased a 3/4 ton truck, and towing would have made me MUCH happier, instead of worrying all the time.

With that said, I've never had a single issue, even after a cross-country (and back) vacation on my second-ever trip.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
He only put down a deposit which could easily be applied towards another RV or even refunded.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are asking all these questions after the sale? :h Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see anyone in your other thread suggesting that towing a 6000-ish pound TT would be a pleasent experience. Those that tow with a Taco say 4000 pounds is as high as they are comfortable with.

Tow ratings rarely mean RV tow ratings. The aerodynamics of towing the high profile TT at 65mpg requires a lot of power. That leaves little reserve for accelerating or maintaining speeds up hills.

I recommend upgrading the TV capability first. And that may or may not mean a half ton pickup. Pay attention to the Tire and Loading stickers as you open the driver's door as you shop.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've often wondered who "They" was..More often than not "They" have a vested interest ie: commission at stake, in your purchase of something. Look up the numbers and do the math to determine whether this will work for your truck. Don't just take the word of "They".

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a FF189 for 6 years.
nothing major,but will nickel and dime you.
that's ok if you can do the small stuff yourself.I had to because my dealer went broke and the other dealer in town didn't want to help.
On the larger models check for tire over loading and with the water tank up front,it can get heavy for toungue wt.
If you like the trailer,I see a new tundra or F150 in your future.

Whoops! wrong pic,meant to show old FF189,not my new rig.
oh well,Happy trails
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of Dealers would tell you, that you could pull a 30 footer just fine, with your Tacoma. And the Toyota Dealer will do the same, if it means a sale. Just my .02

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, just make sure you hit some hills if possible as this is where you will have issues,not just going up it either. Also you need to account for the approx weight of allyour gear around 1000lbs on average so just hauling it empty will not a very accurate test.
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
I think I am going to ask dealer to take it for a ride. Means they told me I would be fine, they shouldn't have a problem with that. I thought it seemed a bit much. The Dutchmen I am pulling now is about the same length, the fun finder is just 1000 lbs more. I feel like you, I just want to be safe, for me and the family that will be with me.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Bruce but honestly this won't be fun for to pull or safe in my opinion. Just too heavy and long for a shorter wheel base Tacoma. You need a bigger truck or smaller trailer.
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
bruce and tanya wrote:
I just looked, they are saying hitch weight was 485 but that is the brochure.

Yes, sadly, brochure weights don't mean a whole lot in the real world. Here is an example, the funfinder website shows my trailer of having a hitch weight of 290 pounds.
It actually has a hitch weight of over 500 pounds as it sits right now, here in camp.

Funfinder ( cruiser rv ) also has a habit of stating dry weights in the brochure. They showed my trailer at 3040 lbs. In reality, it weighed 3600 as it rolled off the dealers lot. And now weighs 3900 plus, ready to camp. And it actually should weigh more than that, except I removed the bunk bed, because I don't need it. That was about 100 pounds.
A fairly safe guess is to add 1000 pounds to the so called dry weight, and that will get you in the ballpark of a real weight as you will be rolling out of the driveway. And that is with the fresh, grey and black tanks empty.
Figure you need, as I stated earlier, somewhere around 12 to 14 percent of the actual weight to be tongue weight. And all that, is where I made my guesses regarding your new trailer.
Hope this helps.

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked, they are saying hitch weight was 485 but that is the brochure.

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
I do have the weight distribution bars for the camper. I think I will try to pull it a couple times and then make a decision weather I should try a bigger truck. I knew I was playing with the limit of the truck. I have plenty of power left pulling the Dutchmen. I just didn't want to get new truck means this one was already paid off.