cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally Getting Started: New Garage With RV Bay

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I've been talking and thinking about doing this for 3-4 years now. Two days ago we finally took the first "ground breaking" step toward making it a reality.

The garage on my house started out as a flat-roof, open-sided carport when the the house was built 40 years ago. Some previous owner put sides on it, but no garage doors. When I bought the place 15 years ago, the flat roof was leaking badly, and the front wall where the two openings are was rotted badly enough that I had to rebuild it before having garage doors installed.

While the house foundation is sound, the garage foundation has had numerous problems from cracking and movement. I've always planned to one day tear it down to the ground and start over. My original plan was to just rebuild a two-bay garage of the same size, but with a peaked roof. Eventually, I realized that by making use of the slope, a tall RV bay could be added without ending up with a roof-line taller than the rest of the house.

Discussing the project with the DW resulted in further "scope creep", such that we'll also be adding a fair amount of square footage to the living area of the house as well. My garage/RV bay/man-cave has ballooned considerably since I first started dreaming, but this is what we've settled on. The old garage is about 28' deep, and 24' wide. The new garage will be 30' deep and 60' wide. The RV bay will have one wide door, rather than the two narrow doors shown. I was planning to allow 14' of vertical clearance, but I'm not sure I really need to go that high. Twelve feet would be plenty for my camper, the garage depth and driveway approach will never accommodate an RV much longer than mine.

About 10 years ago I had an asphalt driveway paved down behind the house, and then had a Jamar RV shed constructed over it where I'm currently parking my truck and camper. It's sitting right where my new garage RV bay will be, so it'll have to be moved. That's what we've started, which doesn't sound too difficult. Except.........

My property is on the side of a hill. There's no naturally level ground anywhere, so a pad will have to be constructed. Also, about a year ago (anticipating the loss of my garage and the storage space inside it) I constructed a 12'x20' storage building right next to the house to hold all of my man-stuff while the garage is being built. Once the garage is built, the storage building will be taken apart and moved farther away from the house. So that's two level pads to construct.

I also have a ton of trees on my property, mostly white oak, some of them pretty big, and pretty close to the house. Of course, there are trees in the way of everything I want to do.

So, Wednesday morning, bright and early, the tree cutting pro's got started. The weather was gray and gloomy that day. This is where my metal RV shed will be moved. I'm going to reduce it's height a little and use it to park other equipment under.

Getting the boom truck setup for another tree.

They were having fun maneuvering that 2WD boom truck around on my slope.

This tree was hanging over my RV shed.

My storage building. They dropped a big limb on it's roof, but it doesn't appear to have suffered any damage.

My truck and camper out of harms way in the front yard.

Wish I had one of those trucks to play with.

Pulling one down close to the power lines.

I'm saving these for another project.

I'll add more as we make progress.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!
274 REPLIES 274

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. NOW I can officially say I hate you. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know, jealousy is an ugly thing! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Kidding aside. I'm in awe and as I wrote before I can't wait to use some of your ideas when I do mine! Kudos for a job well done! It's been a blast watching it from the beginning! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I like backing up with my turn being "to the driver's side".... makes thing easier as far as "seeing where I'm going."

4' step width might be overkill. I think the only time steps that wide are needed would be in an application where two way traffic on the steps occurs.
Bob

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Have you tried pulling forward into the driveway extension?

No, I haven't. But I should give that a try. To be honest, I'm still trying to either adapt my old habits to the new garage, or develop new ones. Now's the time to experiment and figure out what works best.

It's funny how a seemingly minor change can have such a big impact on how you do routine things. Like, just pulling our cars into the upper bay. The front of the garage is about 2 feet closer to the asphalt than the old one was, so turning into my opening is different. To end up going through the doors straight, we need to swing out wider than we used to.

Every once in a while if I'm daydreaming while I pull in, I'll do it like I used to and end up aligned in the doorway wrong. Sometimes I'm able to save it by making a few last minute corrections, but most of the time I just end up having to back out and do it again. Those are the times when I'm glad I don't have any neighbors that can see me doing stupid things. :S

wnjj wrote:
Oh, and are you sure the door is big enough? It looked like a tight squeeze backing In there. ;):B

Har! It was you guys that convinced me to build a 14 ft. high opening. I'm glad I listened, too! You wouldn't believe how much we agonized over the door width, though. Sixteen or eighteen. Eighteen or sixteen. As it turned out, there wasn't a significant difference in the price of an eighteen and a sixteen foot wide door. And, I had actually told the concrete finisher to shape the slab for a sixteen foot door. But we had talked about both sizes so much that he got confuzzed and shaped it for the wider door. It all turned out for the best in the end. I'm glad I can pull in next to the camper without having to deal with tight clearances now.

And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Great job! Enjoyed the build. Thanks for showing the last back into the lower bay garage.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
I really like the "turn-around" extension I had paved off the lower driveway. I can now drive in normally, and get turned around easily to back into the garage. Before, I had to turn around on the surface in front of the upper bay, and then back all the way down the curving driveway into the backyard. Much easier this way

Have you tried pulling forward into the driveway extension? That way you only need to change from forward to reverse one time, have much less distance to travel and the best part is you get to back toward the driver's side when turning which is much easier.

What a great feeling to store it away out if the elements, isn't it? Ours has been spoiled since day one with an insulated, heated shop.

Oh, and are you sure the door is big enough? It looked like a tight squeeze backing In there. ;):B

Thanks so much for allowing us to watch over your shoulder.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
Fantastic. Maybe you already discussed this -- looks like you have enough room in the RV bay to dismount the camper, and still park the truck next to it.

That's correct, the truck will fit next to the camper easily. One of the reasons I've held off building stairs down into the lower bay is I wanted to make sure the stair design didn't interfere with getting the truck all the way in. It looks like there's plenty of room to build a stairway that comes straight down alongside the cinder block wall, and be about four feet wide. I want to leave as much of the poured concrete wall available for cabinets and equipment as possible.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic. Maybe you already discussed this -- looks like you have enough room in the RV bay to dismount the camper, and still park the truck next to it.
Cal

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice!

Thanks again as always for taking the time to inform and entertain us...

And thanks to the Boss for filming and directing this session.

Chet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
OK people, this is it!

After six months of hard work, the "New Garage With RV Bay" is finished enough to post a video of me using it as intended. While there are still many finishing details for me to attend to, about the only thing I'm still waiting on someone else to do for me is the guttering. The big garage door got installed last week, so I can now leave the camper in the lower bay without it being in their way.

I really like the "turn-around" extension I had paved off the lower driveway. I can now drive in normally, and get turned around easily to back into the garage. Before, I had to turn around on the surface in front of the upper bay, and then back all the way down the curving driveway into the backyard. Much easier this way.

Here's a link to a video the boss made of me driving in and parking in the lower bay. Enjoy!

Parking the TC in its new home!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
ck1 wrote:
sleepy wrote:
When I scrolled to the new picture... my first thought. You have changed it to a stable for Clydesdales...

You do realize that many of us look for your next update first thing every time we open our Truck Camper Forum... I'll bet some of our visitors do too!

Sleepy

/\ this x2...everyday I look...my wife hates it when I keep showing her and say..."see my cars need something like this garage"..then i get the look from her lol..You have a very awesome set up!...
are the birds your daily drivers or are you keeping the miles off of them?...I ask cuz they no doubt will go up in value. I want to get a real low mileage one and squirrel it away in my stable!
Cameron

That's awesome. :B

I assumed there were a few who were following this, but I hadn't really thought about the marital problems it might be causing. You've gotta be subtle when you're trying to get the boss's buy-in on a project like this. Sometime it takes years of work to ease her in to it. :W

That new room over the upper bay is "The Boss's Room". I just wanted a garage, she wanted the new room. Happy wife=happy life......we have a new room. There have been a few benefits though: Project taking too long......not my fault. Project over budget........not my fault. Rain leaking in main house because new room required opening the roof and my plan did NOT........not my fault. I couldn't have planned it better myself if I had tried. ๐Ÿ˜›

The T-birds are indeed our daily drivers, but we don't have long commutes so they are both low miles for their age. The boss's is an '04, has about 40K miles on it, and was the Limited Edition for that model year. It's called a Pacific Coast Roadster, and only 1000 were built. The body color is Monterey Mist. Hers is totally stock.

Mine is an '05 (which was the 50th Anniversary of the Thunderbird), it has about 50K miles on it, and was the Limited Edition for that model year. All of the '05 T-birds are "50th Anniversary" models. While all the other LE T-Birds of this body style (2002-2005) had special names, this one was simply called 50th Anniversary Limited Edition , and only 1500 were built. The body and top color is Cashmere. Mine is stock except for the addition of a Borla exhaust system. I thought the stock exhaust sound was a little too mild. The nice thing about the Borla exhaust is that it's no louder than the stock exhaust at highway speed.

A little T-bird trivia:

The 2002 LE T-bird was sold through the Neiman Marcus catalog, only 200 were built, and they sold out in 2 hours 15 minutes! A beautiful black body with silver top. I'd love to have one.

The 2003 LE was a representation of the T-bird driven by Halle Berry's character "Jinx" in the James Bond movie "Die Another Day". The body color is Coral, which I have to confess isn't my favorite. The top was White. The car in the movie had a Coral body and top. And, it had Halle Berry driving it, which enhanced it's looks substantially. :C There were 700 built.

ck1
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
When I scrolled to the new picture... my first thought. You have changed it to a stable for Clydesdales...

You do realize that many of us look for your next update first thing every time we open our Truck Camper Forum... I'll bet some of our visitors do too!

Sleepy

/\ this x2...everyday I look...my wife hates it when I keep showing her and say..."see my cars need something like this garage"..then i get the look from her lol..You have a very awesome set up!...
are the birds your daily drivers or are you keeping the miles off of them?...I ask cuz they no doubt will go up in value. I want to get a real low mileage one and squirrel it away in my stable!
Cameron
2003 3500 Heavy Duty quad Cab 2wd SLT CTD DRW Auto 4.10
2008 Lance 1055
68 MBZ 280SL Roadster...
47 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe
67 ford Falcon
91 Jeep Cherokee
95 Jeep Wrangler
photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/ck1105

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
I see a 4 Pole Hoist coming in that space, yes?
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
When I scrolled to the new picture... my first thought. You have changed it to a stable for Clydesdales..

They'd have a pretty neat place to hang out at, that is for sure.

Now, if they only brought the wagon with them! :B
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The big garage door installers got started this afternoon!

Didn't get finished today, and they won't be able to come back until Friday, so the truck and camper are going to have to spend a few more nights outside. That's OK though, they're tough. They can take it. Not like those two cupcakes in the upper bay! :B

On a totally unrelated note, look at that slope. I just threw out 100 lbs of Rye grass seed on Sunday, and covered it with several bales of straw. It's already sprouting through the straw! Hopefully that will hold it through the winter. I also spread about 5 lbs of Bermuda grass seed on the slope, but probably won't see that till next year.