cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a stud

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
I see a few posts where people used a stud finder on the inside with great success but has anyone used one on the outside? I know I have aluminum studs but have no idea if it will penetrate the fiberglass and plywood to see the stud.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Halibut214 wrote:
I see a few posts where people used a stud finder on the inside with great success but has anyone used one on the outside? I know I have aluminum studs but have no idea if it will penetrate the fiberglass and plywood to see the stud.
Thanks

I had to locate outside studs when I mounted the brackets on the side of my aluminum TT to hold my porta-bote.

I actually used a studfinder on the inside, and then very carefully transferred the location of the stud to the outside. I measured things like distance from the edge of a window, etc.

In one instance, I actually added a stud from the inside because there was no stud in a fixed location where I needed one. Then I covered it with wood trim.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Gentle tapping on the outside might come up with something as well...

Very well, in fact. I located studs on the outside using a plastic-headed hammer I had from my transmission-repairing former life. Definite sound change when you hit a stud.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gentle tapping on the outside might come up with something as well...

I have added a couple of shelf projects over the years from the outside using the molly bolt or spring wings idea. worked good... In this case you want to miss the studs haha... I like the MOLLY BOLT over the SPRING WINGS as when you remove the screw from the spring wing it all drops behind the wall...

The thing that worked for me was to be able to mount the back board in its four corners then attach all your thing to the backboard. The backboard could be metal as well verses the wood you would use on the inside...

The angles pieces and adapter plates etc you find currently used usually are just screwed into the trailer outside wall using plane ole self tapping metal screws and alot of sealent.. I have done this for additional CABLE TV type connection boxes or PVC Electrical junction type boxes where I was gaining access to the interior through the center of them with larger holes...

I don't know about THOR but I do know you can contact JAYCO and provide them the VIN NUMBER of their trailer you own and they will immediately email you a PDF file with the information you requested. These are from their build packages...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Halibut214 wrote:
I have a couple density type stud finders and will give it a try.

How did I know someone couldn't resist with finding a "stud".

If I still lived where we had dew I would not have had the need to ask but hopefully this will help someone as it is amazing how well this works.

A molly bolt is not going to work on this. I'm not putting something on the inside. I understand the studs are not very wide but I need some meat to tie in to and it's the strongest thing there.

I didn't even look at your profile to see you are from Arizona. I can imagine dew is not the norm for you. I wish the humidity would go away here. Good luck
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily hit it right. Wait for mother nature to reveal the studs.

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple density type stud finders and will give it a try.

How did I know someone couldn't resist with finding a "stud".

If I still lived where we had dew I would not have had the need to ask but hopefully this will help someone as it is amazing how well this works.

A molly bolt is not going to work on this. I'm not putting something on the inside. I understand the studs are not very wide but I need some meat to tie in to and it's the strongest thing there.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The studs are not very wide in the RV's even if you find one... You get the best results by using something that spreads out when you tightening it up...

We have great success on the inside using the MOLLY BOLTs to do this...

It really works great to use the moly bolts to support a large piece of 3/4-inch plyboard and then just use regular screws etc to hang your items to the large section of wood...

Much like this pictorial suggests...

On the inside would look something like this with a large backboard installed to mount your heavier items like LCD TV's...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the dew patterns in the morning on your outside walls, you'll see the studs. Mark and measure where they are at the measure inside.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found an RV stud for you:

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF it is a 'magnetic' type stud finder.........NO

If it is a 'density' type stud finder..........Yes