cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firestone Airbags 2013 Silverado

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anyone that is using these airbags that can give me some insight on how they like or dislike them. Will be using them with a WD hitch installed. Just wanted to get some feedback before buying the kit.
26 REPLIES 26

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
I am considering air bags on my 2011 Silverado 2500HD. As for the mounting of the Firestone air bags, will the 5th. wheel hitch no drill frame brackets interfere with the install of the air bags? I was told by a spring shop that their Air Lift product mounted to the frame where the hitch brackets are, therefor they had to drill holes. Any suggestions? Also, where is the best place to purchase and have installed the Firestone bags?

I am not sure of the 5th wheel brackets location on the frame. I ended up getting the bags from e-trailer. Came fast even with the free ground shipping. As for the install, I am a do it myself kind of person. I just have OCD when it comes to things I get done to the truck. It is an easy install and if you are handy, I would say just install them yourself. It is easy to do and save some $ on install. I have yet to tow with them but can already tell they are going to work great for my needs and will help the ride.

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering air bags on my 2011 Silverado 2500HD. As for the mounting of the Firestone air bags, will the 5th. wheel hitch no drill frame brackets interfere with the install of the air bags? I was told by a spring shop that their Air Lift product mounted to the frame where the hitch brackets are, therefor they had to drill holes. Any suggestions? Also, where is the best place to purchase and have installed the Firestone bags?
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the bags this past weekend. Could it have been an easier install? NOT! I think my 12 year old could have done it by him self. I can see they are going to be the way to go for me. It will make things easy and can set the rear where ever it needs to be. Thinking I mite have to hook up the trailer and see how they do. Thanks for all the input.

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
Congrats on joining the "bagger club" as one member here calls those of us that use air bags. I really believe you will love them. I know I won't ever tow heavy again without them. Let us know how you like them after the install and first tow.

Will do. The first trip is going to be going to GA. We are going to a State park just south of Tifton GA for a day or two before going west to AL to see friends for a day. This is going to be a MAP trip. 10 days, no plains for the most part. Look for something good on the map and go.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
lamopar wrote:
I have had the Firestone bags on my truck for three years. I use it to help with the load of the trailer, I have hauled 2.5 tons of stone in the back with them, and lower the pressure and they ride just fine. I just bought the pump kit for them and it is sitting on the kitchen island now. I wanted it for a time like now when I tow to a camp site then want to lower the pressure to drive around but need it back up when it is time to go.

My brother went the same route towing his fifth wheel. He bought the Firestone Air Bags with the level ride and on board compressor. What a difference in the ride and general attitude of the vehicle, so harshness at all driving empty or loaded.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on joining the "bagger club" as one member here calls those of us that use air bags. I really believe you will love them. I know I won't ever tow heavy again without them. Let us know how you like them after the install and first tow.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
it's nice just to have an extra hand here and there. besides... working on a case of beer by yourself isn't that fun! lol
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
5rdriver wrote:
I had the Firestone bags on my '05 Silverado. They worked great and I liked the ability to adjust the suspension. For that reason I had the on-board compressor and gauge. I would run about 30 lbs with the trailer on and about 5-10 when empty. It's really nice to be able to add or reduce pressure from the cab. I will probably go with the same set-up on my '13 Silverado but health issues make it unlikely that I can install it myself again.

After many hours of internet reading and asking questions, I pulled the trigger on the bags. Just seemed to be the best way to be able to adjust for different conditions that may arise. I'm an info junkie on everything I buy anything, well most of the time. I now wish I had a 2500 but didn't need all that for getting back and forth to work. For the 6 trips we take a year the 1500 will be just fine.

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
It can be done by yourself. Just a little easier if you have someone hold the bags/brackets while positioning. A significant other can be of great use, that is if they are allowed under the vehicles:B:W

Well I don't think I will let the wife under the truck as we are getting ready to add another member to the Fam Damley here in two weeks. But it will be a job I will let my 12 year old help with. He knows whats up with mechanics and enjoys helping me work on the truck and trailer. Just last week we did a break job to the trailer. Showed him how to do everything on one side and he dam near did the whole job on the other. :C

5rdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Firestone bags on my '05 Silverado. They worked great and I liked the ability to adjust the suspension. For that reason I had the on-board compressor and gauge. I would run about 30 lbs with the trailer on and about 5-10 when empty. It's really nice to be able to add or reduce pressure from the cab. I will probably go with the same set-up on my '13 Silverado but health issues make it unlikely that I can install it myself again.
DW: Jean
DH: Steve
K9: TJ
Towmotor: '13 Chevy 3500HD DRW Duramax/Allison
Fiver: '13 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
It can be done by yourself. Just a little easier if you have someone hold the bags/brackets while positioning. A significant other can be of great use, that is if they are allowed under the vehicles:B:W
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:
I have the ride-rites on my f150.. love them... its a two man job.. 3 hrs... I ordered from Auto Anything.... 330 to my door

air valves to the Lic plate holes.... no drama ,work great, i tow a 6100lb TT... loaded its 7300.... no more bounce while towing...

do it again in a heartbeat

From the look at the instructions it looks like a one man job. Something I am missing? Any tips? Just ordered a set of the Firestone's and was going to do the job myself.

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Another opinion...for $200.00 bucks and a 10 minute install, I am real glad I put Timbrens on my 2011 Silverado 3500. That and Bilstein shocks made a big difference towing my Cameo.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Airbags are great. The Autoride was out of commission when we purchased Lena last year. We dragged the TT home last year on just the soft coils. It sucked. I spent an hour stuffing the Air-Lift bags in the coils before our first trip this year. Tremendous difference. Running 10 psi in the bags right now, Lena's ass end looks just right, still a very nice ride.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L