cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time TT Buyer

HikingBound
Explorer
Explorer
We have just started looking into purchasing a bumper hitch travel trailer (first time buyers). I have done some reach search online and spoke with a local dealership. There is so much information out there, that it can be a bit over whelming.
We have a Ford F150 Lariat 4x4, Supercrew, Ecoboost 3.5L V6, 145" wheelbase, Towing Pkg, Truck GVWR Pkg 7200, Trailer Brake & Sway Control, 3.55 (Axle Ratio).
Ford's Towing Guide for our truck states: GCWR 15,500 lbs, Max Loaded TT 9,600 lbs
We looked at a used 2014 Gulf Stream Innsbruck 295SBM.
Specs per salesman: 29'length and that we should not have a problem pulling it with our truck.
Online Gulf Stream website has the following specs for this TT:
Length 34'3"
Height 11'1"
GVWR Dry Weight 7,320 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,010 lbs.
Net Carrying Capacity 2,290 lbs.
My question is, can our truck really tow a TT at this weight and length safely? If not, I would greatly appreciated any suggestions on size and what are a few quality built brands.
Thank you in advance!!
15 REPLIES 15

HikingBound
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to look at TT around 6,000 lbs and under, 24"-26" (with 1 slide).

KKnowlton>>Pop-ups or pop-up was I first thought but we would like to camp in late fall & early spring. Also, we go into AR. mountains. Black bear + cat in pop-up (probably)=one less puddy cat.

Thanks to all!!

HikingBound
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Tow ratings by vehicle manufacturers include all types of trailers. RVs are probably the most difficult type of trailer to tow due to the high profile (front and side) and therefore need the higher end of 12-15% tongue weight for stability.

Starting at 1220 pounds of payload, take off 400 for couple plus cat leaves 800 for loaded trailer tongue weight. As you can see, the dry TW of that Innsbruck exceeds that and any dry TW will likely go up by about 200 pounds when loaded wit camping gear. You will want to start with something closer to 6000 pounds dry with 600 pounds dry TW. And you will still likely exceed the truck's GVWR/payload as I have never witnessed a pickup truck pull into a campsite with an empty truck bed.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Tow ratings by vehicle manufacturers include all types of trailers. RVs are probably the most difficult type of trailer to tow due to the high profile (front and side) and therefore need the higher end of 12-15% tongue weight for stability.

Starting at 1220 pounds of payload, take off 400 for couple plus cat leaves 800 for loaded trailer tongue weight. As you can see, the dry TW of that Innsbruck exceeds that and any dry TW will likely go up by about 200 pounds when loaded wit camping gear. You will want to start with something closer to 6000 pounds dry with 600 pounds dry TW. And you will still likely exceed the truck's GVWR/payload as I have never witnessed a pickup truck pull into a campsite with an empty truck bed.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd keep it as light as possible. You might consider a hybrid (HTT) trailer - one that has pop-out tented beds but otherwise is like a regular trailer in height. More space for the weight. With your truck's specs, I'd say keep the GVWR of the trailer (NOT the same as "dry weight" - at or under 5000 lbs too. That will keep the length down automatically, as there are no trailers I'm aware of that are longer than about 25' with that kind of GVWR. At the very least you'll want to upgrade your truck's tires at some point.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You could look at a Living Lite (all aluminum) or even a Lance (really well made)
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Add one more vote for that TT being too much.

While your truck may be able to haul the weight, there is wind to consider. That huge box will drag on the truck something fierce. I just went through this myself towing with my F150 4x4 V8..... From the tag line below you can see I bought a new truck - 5 months after buying the new TT
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

HikingBound
Explorer
Explorer
You all have confirmed what my husband and myself suspected regarding the weight and length of the Innsburck 295.
Any suggestions on well constructed TT?
"Payload" -Yellow door sticker shows "Combined weight of occupants & cargo max 1221 lbs. Two adults and a cat weigh just over 400 lbs. Dang, the cat has to go on a diet... 🙂
Thank you!!

P.S.
This site and all of you are a great resource of information!!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Length 34'3"
Height 11'1"
GVWR Dry Weight 7,320 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,010 lbs.
Net Carrying Capacity 2,290 lbs

Just going by the dry hitch weight I would say that the TT is too much. Once loaded you will exceed the trucks receiver rating even if you could stay within payload and axle ratings (also unlikely)
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
We will need that payload number from the driver side door jamb to help you make a good decision
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
HikingBound wrote:
Ford's Towing Guide for our truck states: GCWR 15,500 lbs, Max Loaded TT 9,600 lbs

Marketing numbers !!!

In theory, your truck could pull that much trailer, IF:

1. The truck has NO aftermarket accessories (bed liner, bedcap, step bars, etc)

2. The driver only weighs 150 lbs

3. There are NO passengers

4. There is NO cargo.

You're probably not going to be towing without accessories, passengers, and cargo. In reality, you don't have 9600 lb tow capacity.

Check out this calculator, it will give you a ballpark figure of what loaded trailer weight, will put close to your max weight.

You'll need that payload number from your drivers door post.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Dakota has it right.

I have about the same setup as you with the door sticker showing 1411 lbs. max cargo.

Two adults and a dog weigh 500 lbs. The tongue weight on my TT is about 600 lbs. My truck cap weights 250 lbs. There is not much weight left for stuff.

I pull a 5000 lb. dry weight TT just fine, but I would not want to go any larger.

That's a big dog....Lol!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
That's a big / long TT for that truck. I would stay at 28' or under for a relaxing towing experience. Check the truck door sticker for the payload weight.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When I see "supercrew" and "1/2 ton" I worry.
Like Dakota says, you'll run out of payload way before towing capacity.
What's the payload as listed on the yellow door jamb sticker? 1200#?
Passengers and the 1000# hitch weight will most likely put you way over the payload limit.
And 34' is a lot for a 1/2 ton with "P" tires.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dakota has it right.

I have about the same setup as you with the door sticker showing 1411 lbs. max cargo.

Two adults and a dog weigh 500 lbs. The tongue weight on my TT is about 600 lbs. My truck cap weights 250 lbs. There is not much weight left for stuff.

I pull a 5000 lb. dry weight TT just fine, but I would not want to go any larger.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.